Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

heads
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
benchracer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: heads Reply with quote

Anybody have any recommendations for a decent set of heads for street use? My dad who is 89 years old built himself a new engine for his 1969 type 1. With the exception of a few small errors he did a great job. He just put on a Weber progressive carb and he is so happy with the performance that he wants a set of heads. He has a 1600 with a scat 35? Cam and a Weber progressive carb. Anybody have any recommendations for a reasonably price head?....steve
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our "Super Street" 040 heads would be perfect for you application. Stock valved, ported castings. Made in the USA. Best cooling on the street. I built an engine with them for my car last summer and the performance is pretty unbelievable.

http://www.mofoco.com/item/MOFOCO_Super_Street_040_s_Pair_/2603/c52

Please email [email protected] with any specific questions.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roy makes good heads, but i wouldent buy stock valved heads for any thing.especialy if you were wanthing more power
benchracer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was telling him possibly 40x37.5. anybody using cb 044s?
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
roy makes good heads, but i wouldent buy stock valved heads for any thing.especialy if you were wanthing more power

I would. For mild engines under 1915 I find that a stock valved head works better. Shove 40x35's on a stock carbed , small displacement engine and you will definitely feel the power......lack of it.

I like a stock valved head, tight deck and about 50cc chamber for anything up to 1915. The car will be much snappier.

I just built almost two identical 1679 thickwall engines. Both had 100 cams. One had 40 idf's and big cc 40x35 heads(owners choice) and the other had stock valves and a 34 pict 3. The stock valved, even stock carbed engine, because it was built "better"...tight deck, higher compression, and stock valves, will out pull the big valve "advertiser special head" engine. No dyno tests just back to back real world in car testing.

I have seen this too on my 1835 and 110 cam engine. The bottom end is so much better with stock valves. Maybe peak HP is more....but for a driver the "power under the curve" feels way better.

And both engines were Wideband tuned.....
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tims super stock heads. 37x32 valves. Great deal and should perform well on your small CC engine.

Ports too big for the engine will kill torque, although sometimes a bigger valve is a good idea, in moderation!

37mm exhaust valve?? no way man The exhaust is sposed to be smaller than the intake, and sorry 044 heads are too big.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1069091
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if he goes to dual carbs, or Used Dells like these for more control Dells, Then you could use big valve heads. It is a Dual Port engine right? Cause the 69 had single port heads originally!
Mofoco 42's,
DRD L5's, or ACN L5's,
or Revemasters 049 stock. If you want to save money.
But with a single carb. I think the Mofoco 040 super street heads or the DRD L3 heads available at ACN or the Tim's Super Stock heads all of which are stock valves.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: heads Reply with quote

benchracer1 wrote:
Anybody have any recommendations for a decent set of heads for street use? My dad who is 89 years old built himself a new engine for his 1969 type 1. With the exception of a few small errors he did a great job. He just put on a Weber progressive carb and he is so happy with the performance that he wants a set of heads. He has a 1600 with a scat 35? Cam and a Weber progressive carb. Anybody have any recommendations for a reasonably price head?....steve

Your father would see far more performance gains and much better MPG by installing dual carbs instead of better heads.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: heads Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
benchracer1 wrote:

Your father would see far more performance gains and much better MPG by installing dual carbs instead of better heads.

I couldn't agree more. When I was a kid in the 80's, I had a stock 1600. I installed dual Kadron's, 1 3/8" header with dual exhaust and MAN did it perk that engine up! I thought I was all that and a bag of chips driving that bug! lol

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
benchracer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: heads Reply with quote

well my dads a couple years and a few thousand miles into his new engine. The only complaint is in the last few hundred rpm on top end it feels like the power drops off a bit. If you back off the accelerator pedal ever so slightly it seems to develop a bit more power. Hes running a scat 25 cam, weber progressive carb, petronix ignitor @ 32 total advance, stock heads and stock exhaust, 1600 motor. Anybody got any tuning ideas I can try to try and get rid of this? Steve
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: heads Reply with quote

Step up on the main jet or go duals and gain noticeable power and mpg. 36 dell's or 40 idfs would be perfect imo.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: heads Reply with quote

At 91 years old, still driving a VW, your dad is officially one of the coolest guys ever. Im just guessing here, but his close up vision might not be too good for messing with dual carbs/linkage. This is about the only time ever that I would not recommend duals.

Make sure timing is at its most effective point, check plugs, tune accordingly.

Other then that, you would need to get into the engine to increase power. I would encourge him to just keep on rollin, enjoy the drive. Taking that car out of commission could end up not getting back on the road in time for him to enjoy it more.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: heads Reply with quote

benchracer1 wrote:
well my dads a couple years and a few thousand miles into his new engine. The only complaint is in the last few hundred rpm on top end it feels like the power drops off a bit. If you back off the accelerator pedal ever so slightly it seems to develop a bit more power. Hes running a scat 25 cam, weber progressive carb, petronix ignitor @ 32 total advance, stock heads and stock exhaust, 1600 motor. Anybody got any tuning ideas I can try to try and get rid of this? Steve

Get a better flowing exhaust. Get a 4-into-1 header. The stock muffler is killing your top end power.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: heads Reply with quote

some dual Kadron or even 36 dellortos along with a 1-3/8" header AND a set of 1.25 or 1.4 rockers will do the trick.

easy bolt ons, nice jump in performance, user friendly mods.

beyond that, if your looking at changing heads, might as well go all out and build a nice stroker...
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: heads Reply with quote

benchracer1 wrote:

John C wrote a lot about how to make the pregressive carb work, it is in the sticky section here. IMo there is a LOT yet beyond what is known and written to make it 100% RIGHT, but you can probably get it "closer" to right with some work. the pinto carb, on a VW engine, is like wearing women's pants. It's just never going to be quite right 'fit for the application', although in both cases some report they work better backward.
benchracer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: heads Reply with quote

thanx guys. Ill print what is in the stickys and give it to him. Yeah, at 91 hes pretty cool. At 89 he bought a polaris side by side to go exploring and tows his vw behind his motorhome. I figure Ill be lucky to see 70...Steve
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: heads Reply with quote

My boss is 87 and still works 9 hours a day.
Puts us all to shame Shocked
porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: heads Reply with quote

Did you decide on heads?
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: heads Reply with quote

There is NO idea in going larger than stock valves on an engine like tat, unless you do some SERIUS work to the end castings. They are the limiting factor at about 87 hp, But i doubt the engine pulls that much anyway, most likely something like 75 hp. 80 on a good day.

T
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: heads Reply with quote

I wood get him a set of hpmx40 duels kit .and tickel the crap out of him.then he might want those new heads..cb lostpanofcheetos heads.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: