Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Black Rose - '68 Beetle 'Refresh'
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kryslaurelle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Black Rose - '68 Beetle 'Refresh' Reply with quote

Here's a pic of how my dash came out (thank you Jeffrey for reminding me!). I would like to replace the emergency knob with a type 3 so it fits better, or find an alternative that matches the dash better. Same goes for the fresh air box knobs.

I'll try to get a better picture when it's light out - hard to get a good pic of a black dash in the dark.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

kryslaurelle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Black Rose - '68 Beetle 'Refresh' Reply with quote

Finally finished the door panels!

kryslaurelle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Black Rose - '68 Beetle 'Refresh' Reply with quote

A quick update:

I enlisted the help of my parents to get a speaker box made. I cut the cardboard templates, dad cut and put together the wood, and mom guided me through upholstering it. Not too shabby if I do say so myself.

Before installing the box, I laid down quick roof on the firewall and luggage shelf, then put down some carpet padding. I can't believe how much it helps with muffling the engine noise.

Also replaced fuel filler hoses and vent hose. I found out the main filler hose was leaking (I mean pouring out) gas when I was filling up. My dad had some 2" fuel hose laying around, so it's not pretty, but it temporarily does the job. Eventually I'd like to get one piece of hose and eliminate that coupler (that's where it was leaking from). Almost got some 1 7/8" hose from the local auto parts store, but it was going to be $56 for two feet Shocked I figured I could find something better online. What size is the filler hose supposed to be? 2" is a bit on the large side.

57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Black Rose - '68 Beetle 'Refresh' Reply with quote

Before ya install the hose, you need to install these rubber sleeves onto the metal neck and coupler tube first . . . http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113201215
They will take up some of the slack.
You can get all the other hoses from WW as well.

BTW . . . nice job on the door panels and speaker box! Cool
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Black Rose - '68 Beetle 'Refresh' Reply with quote

Your "Black Rose" is looking good!

Just in case you're interested, VW Heritage in the UK sells defroster vents for 68 and newer bugs that have the steel dash from the factory, both the center and right/left vents. I picked up a set for my 70 and they're top quality. (Padded dash vents are different)
Also, you're right about the Type 3 fresh air knobs being shorter, so are all the other knobs, too. I'm using all Type 3 knobs, lights/wiper/e-flasher/fresh air on mine, along with modified short light knobs for my Becker Europa.

Dan

Bug and Type 3 fresh air knobs, and Type 3 e-flasher.

77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
70 Beetle (current, in pieces)
kryslaurelle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Black Rose - '68 Beetle 'Refresh' Reply with quote

Thanks! Good to know about VW Heritage - I'll definitely have to put in an order with them.
bellabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Black Rose - '68 Beetle 'Refresh' Reply with quote

Can you post a pic of your arm rests/door pulls please? I'm looking to get rid of mine but still have something there to close the door with and your idea looks good!
slagathor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Black Rose - '68 Beetle 'Refresh' Reply with quote

kryslaurelle wrote:
Finally finished the door panels!

what kind of hardware did you use to hold the straps in place? i want to ditch my arm rests because they are pretty useless on a car this size and go with an idea like this
kryslaurelle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Black Rose - '68 Beetle 'Refresh' Reply with quote

Here's a close-up of the door pull for you guys. Unfortunately I don't have any pics of its construction, but I used plumber's tape inside to give it rigidity then covered it with vinyl (there's also some thin upholstery foam between the vinyl and plumber's tape).

Each end has a carriage bolt and a stringer washer. The washers are billet aluminum and you can find them in a variety of colors.

Hope this helps! These door pulls work great for me!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: