Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

356 A or B ?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan Pedro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: 356 A or B ? Reply with quote

In need of some help identifying a 356 I purchased about a year ago...the problem is that it doesn't have the original vin (has a state issued vin number) and has probably been clipped at some point...it is titled as a 59, but looks exactly like a 60 B model so I just figured it was a B car built in 59...thats until I pulled the gauges and they are dated mid-1958...the engine is no help either because its a 912!! Are there any differences in the tub itself between an A and a B car? I'm starting to think that someone hung a B nose and doors on an A tub...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
James Davies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: 356 A or B ? Reply with quote

The original chassis number can be found in 3 places:

1) stamped into the chassis beneath the rubber mat behind the spare tire
2) on the Porsche chassis/model ID tag between the fender and gas tank on passenger side
3) stamped on an aluminum tag on the door hinge cover plate, driver's side

You can then look up this chassis ID here

http://356a.com/

And find out what year it is.

It is likely it is a 356A that was hit, and had 356B parts grafted on for repairs.
dg58innm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 A or B ? Reply with quote

The rear frame members are different. Rear seat pans are different. The rear tunnel/floor/bulkhead intersection is diffferent. The tunnel itself is different. Top of door hinge pillars are different. The battery boxes are different. Plenty of other little details in the tub metal to differentiate between A and B. Post a few picures and it should be obvious.
DG
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 A or B ? Reply with quote

dg58innm wrote:
The rear frame members are different. Rear seat pans are different. The rear tunnel/floor/bulkhead intersection is diffferent. The tunnel itself is different. Top of door hinge pillars are different. The battery boxes are different. Plenty of other little details in the tub metal to differentiate between A and B. Post a few picures and it should be obvious.
DG

The whole car is different from the outside. Front fender lines, bumper/overrider locations, front air intakes, hood handle, the list goes on. No need to look at pans, etc. With a simple comparison of pictures it will be very obvious which is which. As noted, if you can post a picture it will be easy to tell.
Dan Pedro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 A or B ? Reply with quote

Porsche has confirmed that the car started life as a '59 A but received a B replacement body from the factory at some point in its life...ugh. I am considering back dating the nose to an A...any thoughts for or against this "mod"?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 A or B ? Reply with quote

If you're going to switch back (good luck) I don't see where having an "A" nose and a "B" everything else would make sense. To me it's all or nothing and at this point if the car is straight I would lean toward nothing and leave it be. Just my $0.02. Best of luck either way you go.
tom coughlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject: 356 B back to an A Reply with quote

If you prefer the A look go for it. If you go to show the car and somebody makes an issue, you can argue that you've just made it original. That's something that any old B that's been changed to an A look without the history of your car would be unable to argue.
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: 356 A or B ? Reply with quote

If the factory rebodied it and you have written proof I wouldn't touch it but it's your car...
MMW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 A or B ? Reply with quote

I second the position of "if you have documents from Porsche that show it was rebodied I would leave it".

That being said it's your car do as you wish.
Update - third pc. found!
Now just need the case halves.
1965 fenderless beetle
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 A or B ? Reply with quote

What does the shifter/heater control look like?
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 356 A or B ? Reply with quote

what is your serial number and does the number on the nose under the mat match the number on vin plate or doors.
I have a very early 1960 which has many anomalies when compared to a "True" B.
JulesD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 A or B ? Reply with quote

How can porsche verify if you have a state issued vin? What number did you give them to run? They go by old records so a state issued vin would not come up. I dont get it
Dan Pedro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 356 A or B ? Reply with quote

Porsche kept record of vin when selling a replacement body. I supplied the replacement body number and they supplied me the correct vin. during a resto vins are removed but because this car was newish when this was done the original vin could not be transferred.
ensys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 A or B ? Reply with quote

Just another opinion (w/the usual disclaimer about "your car"), but the Factory documented replacement body makes your car "original" as it stands, just like an authorized replacement engine would then be correct for a car.

Buggering around with the body to suit one's tastes is the owner's privilege of course, but be aware that it will cost you somewhat dearly in ultimate value.

If you can't stand Bs, sell it to someone who will respect it for what it is and buy yourself an A.

PS: Given the situation, I should think most states would, after inspection, re-register with the now-correct body no.

As a parallel situation, Calif. used to register by engine no., but with a little persistent effort, I had mine changed to the body no.

S.J.Szabo
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: