Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice on Single Cab Purchase
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nice dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Single Cab Purchase Reply with quote

The diamond is on the ring!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

nice dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on Single Cab Purchase Reply with quote

So I have an issue with stock throttle cable being too long for my dual carb linkage.

Anyone have experience with this CB Performance product.

http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/6096.htm
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on Single Cab Purchase Reply with quote

There are many ways to deal with that throttle linkage. The smoothest is a roller kit someone on here sells.. but I think its pricey. You can make your own bracket to attach and change the angle of the hook up.. or you can also remove the hexbar linkage, loosen the allen head (pictured) and reinstall at another angle. This should work with what you have but the angle of the cable may be extreme, causing wear. You could also shorten your cable and add a new barrel (extension) to the end of the cable.
nice dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Single Cab Purchase Reply with quote

jeremy57ride wrote:
There are many ways to deal with that throttle linkage. The smoothest is a roller kit someone on here sells.. but I think its pricey. You can make your own bracket to attach and change the angle of the hook up.. or you can also remove the hexbar linkage, loosen the allen head (pictured) and reinstall at another angle. This should work with what you have but the angle of the cable may be extreme, causing wear. You could also shorten your cable and add a new barrel (extension) to the end of the cable.

Awesome, I would like to just snip and crimp. Where do I find a new barrel.

Thanks
nice dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Single Cab Purchase Reply with quote

nice dad wrote:
jeremy57ride wrote:

Awesome, I would like to just snip and crimp. Where do I find a new barrel.

Thanks

found this

http://www.socalautoparts.com/product_info.php/emp...cl-p-14402
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on Single Cab Purchase Reply with quote

ditch that solid throttle cable completely and get a braided cable, they have a much better pedal feel. Then cut and shorten the cable up near the front of the bus with some of these.

also, this is a much better linkage that will not wear out prematurely and is easier to tune http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C31-129-941-110

and you may want to look into CB's weblink kit to avoid twisting your throttle shaft.

*edit* and do you have a fuel pressure regulator and gauge plumbed in? that fuel pump will put out too much pressure for those carbs. You need 3 psi controlled for those IDFs to perform correctly. best option is a 3 psi electric fuel pump
nice dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Single Cab Purchase Reply with quote

sled wrote:
ditch that solid throttle cable completely and get a braided cable, they have a much better pedal feel. Then cut and shorten the cable up near the front of the bus with some of these.

also, this is a much better linkage that will not wear out prematurely and is easier to tune http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C31-129-941-110

and you may want to look into CB's weblink kit to avoid twisting your throttle shaft.

*edit* and do you have a fuel pressure regulator and gauge plumbed in? that fuel pump will put out too much pressure for those carbs. You need 3 psi controlled for those IDFs to perform correctly. best option is a 3 psi electric fuel pump

copy that, have some homework to do! Thanks!
nice dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Single Cab Purchase Reply with quote

Off of fuel for the moment and on to the electrical system. The kit I purchased is really nice.

I have an issue relating to the fuel gauge and the headlight switch's dimming feature for the dash lights. The fuel gauge works the way it is supposed to. However when I turn ON the headlight switch the fuel gauge swings to full. As I rotate the switch as to dim down the dash lights the fuel gauge goes back to its' normal operation. If I rotate it back to illuminate the dash lights the fuel gauge spikes back to full. Turn off the headlights the gauge is fine.

On another note is the bus horn button servicable, meaning can it be repaired if I am not getting continuity when the horn is depressed? I have tried to dissasemble but do not want to break it. If I ground out the brown horn wire coming through the column the horn toots!! Attach the wire to the horn button and once installed I get nothing. I have not bench tested the horn button yet. Just would like to keep the oringal part if possible.

Thanks!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Single Cab Purchase Reply with quote

Clean the underside of the dash and apply some grease to keep it from rusting, so the fuel gauge bracket can make a good ground.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Single Cab Purchase Reply with quote

nice dad wrote:
On another note is the bus horn button servicable, meaning can it be repaired if I am not getting continuity when the horn is depressed? I have tried to dissasemble but do not want to break it. If I ground out the brown horn wire coming through the column the horn toots!! Attach the wire to the horn button and once installed I get nothing. I have not bench tested the horn button yet. Just would like to keep the oringal part if possible.

I've never had one that didn't work but it's possible it's not getting a good ground where the tab from the button touch the steering wheel housing.

Check that and clean up those areas.

Also remove and clean the little mounting screw for the horn wire too.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nice dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Single Cab Purchase Reply with quote

Back on the Bowden Tube subject. For me these are a PITA. ? Is the bowden tube supposed to be in place prior to the clutch cable installation? Meaning the threaded end of the clutch cable is supposed to slip through the bowden tube?

Not in my case.

Searched around for an install proceedure on the clutch cable, getting lazy now. Regardless I need to order a new bowden tube again.

Thanks in advance!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Single Cab Purchase Reply with quote

nice dad wrote:
Back on the Bowden Tube subject. For me these are a PITA. ? Is the bowden tube supposed to be in place prior to the clutch cable installation? Meaning the threaded end of the clutch cable is supposed to slip through the bowden tube?

Not in my case.

Searched around for an install proceedure on the clutch cable, getting lazy now. Regardless I need to order a new bowden tube again.

Thanks in advance!

Sometimes it slides through easier if you remove the tube and straighten it as you push it onto the cable, no 2 jobs go exactly the same. Twisting as you push from the front sometimes helps as well, try that first.

Whatever you do make sure it's plenty greasy.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
nice dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on Single Cab Purchase Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
nice dad wrote:

Not in my case.

Thanks in advance!

Sometimes it slides through easier if you remove the tube and straighten it as you push it onto the cable, no 2 jobs go exactly the same. Twisting as you push from the front sometimes helps as well, try that first.

Whatever you do make sure it's plenty greasy.

Got it in thanks!

Grease yes, the cable needs to go in first with half the threaded shank sticking out of the tube. I slid the hard sleeve on the bowden tube down to where the tube seats on the metal clutch cable body tube and then flexed the bowden tube into place. I think that is where I was having trouble, was with the sleeve being kept in the middle of the tube while tying to flex the tube into place.
nice dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on Single Cab Purchase Reply with quote

Well this is what I did for my Vdub today. Removing the clutch pedal shaft bushes was an adventure to say the least. Anyone have two of these laying around, I need two!

Those bushes were thin, thin and major slop in the pedal.

I have seen some posts on this proceedure. Does anyone have an opinion of the condition of the clutch pedal shaft? Too pitted? Or throw it back in, greased of course.

Harleyelf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on Single Cab Purchase Reply with quote

Sand it, shim it, grease it, and slap it back together. Mine got frozen up completely after I moved to salty-road country from Florida/California. Major pain to disassemble. New bronze bushings and grease, and it works like new now. That's really good steel.
nice dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on Single Cab Purchase Reply with quote

Harleyelf wrote:
Sand it, shim it, grease it, and slap it back together. Mine got frozen up completely after I moved to salty-road country from Florida/California. Major pain to disassemble. New bronze bushings and grease, and it works like new now. That's really good steel.

Ya this one was locked up as well. Any line on the bushings? They seem hard to find.
nice dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on Single Cab Purchase Reply with quote

nice dad wrote:
Harleyelf wrote:

Ya this one was locked up as well. Any line on the bushings? They seem hard to find.

never mind

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211721001
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Single Cab Purchase Reply with quote

Engine looks sweet! Whats the latest man?
I just now noticed you dropped an update in my build asking about the triangle piece for mounting the rear apron? Do you still need that part number?

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nice dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Single Cab Purchase Reply with quote

Schwing wrote:
Engine looks sweet! Whats the latest man?
I just now noticed you dropped an update in my build asking about the triangle piece for mounting the rear apron? Do you still need that part number?

Sure part number would be awesome. Well yes, the engine is in and we have 1st gear and reverse. My fuel pump just took a shit on me, dam thing was brand new. Thinking about and electric pump now.
nice dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Single Cab Purchase Reply with quote

sled wrote:

Well my BOCAR POS pump went out so yes now I am going electric. with regulator. Any advice on a set up and location. I can run power from the coil to the pump with an in-line fuse.

Brand new fricking pump too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: