Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sapphire radio info
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:
Who can help steer me to a better than standard radio for my 61 bus? I want to put a Blaupunkt or Becker in the bus that has mp3 ability via the din connector. But how do I make sure to buy one that fits my bus dash? I see many refurbished old units on the net, does anyone have a favorite?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Currently running this in my 59. I used a Sapphire radio surround that i had to clearance a bit to fit the radio face.

I have also built iPod and Bluetooth adapters that connect to the DIN plug. This one plugs into the 32 pin dock connector and supports charging and line out.

You can buy this radio refurbished from Becker.

http://beckerautosound.com/restorations/2865222
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright! That looks great, and I like Beckers! I have a Becker Mexico tube radio and so I called the Becker folks you linked me to, they seem like great folks. The gentleman was thrilled to hear that I have an old model and said it is worth 2 grand when fixed but might cost 400 to 700 bucks to repair! Laughing I am going to send it to them, and see if they want to fix it for me. It might not be the right unit for my bus though so I might buy a Europa from them also. Cool

1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
Tim Emmons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Radio backing plate Reply with quote

Hi; I just bought a saffire 1 radio, and it goes through th backing plate, but the face plate pushes the backing plate in on the top. Is there different backing plates? or do I have the right face plate? the radio is from a 63 or 64 bug. If I push the backing plate tight to the dash from behind, and push face plate in from front, backing plate goes in about quarter of an inch. Help someone. Thanks Tim
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a photo? Beetle plates won't fit right. You need a bus specific plate. It is also Jeep.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Radio backing plate Reply with quote

Tim Emmons wrote:
Hi; I just bought a saffire 1 radio, and it goes through th backing plate, but the face plate pushes the backing plate in on the top. Is there different backing plates? or do I have the right face plate? the radio is from a 63 or 64 bug. If I push the backing plate tight to the dash from behind, and push face plate in from front, backing plate goes in about quarter of an inch. Help someone. Thanks Tim

On a Bus you don't use a backing plate, it's the radio alone and the face plate.

Face plate:

Installed (from backside):

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
schloppy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
palmgreen57 wrote:
Hi
I have a 1960 so23 in which one is mounted a Sapphire I radio, it seems to be period correct radio but it only works in AM waves, that means it can't work here in europe....
Does there is a way to make it working in FM or just keep it as a display ?

huh? when did mittelwelle (AM) stop working in europe? you might not be be able to get UKW (FM) but radio will work...

I am looking for a saphire radio for my 65' 21-window bus
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Sapphire radio info Reply with quote

To find radios, search the classifieds here, there are always Sapphire Is for sale.
All Sapphires fr sale right now:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?submit=yes&type=text&keywords=sapphire

You want this style for a '65, not the style seen above:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Sapphire XVII AM-8 track 12 volt 1971 Reply with quote

out of the classifieds
Sapphire XVII AM-8 track 12 volt 1971

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Sapphire radio info Reply with quote

^^^Those were the days^^^ you could actually select your own mustic and it didn't sound half bad.

I had this in my bus for awhile. It is a 1968 format called "Playtape I" that is not cassette or 8-track. VW sold the cartridges at the dealer's parts counter. It came out right after the split bus ended.

More about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayTape
britcay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Sapphire radio info Reply with quote

interesting stuff

I'm really torn between Sapphires and Emdens.

I don't really listen to anything but the sound of the (impending disaster from my) engine in my 69 Cabrio anyway. It would be nice to have some more mellow-yellow lighting on the dash at night, even so.

The PO fitted some kind of 90s Panasonic thing, which doesn't work. I can't decide whether to go original Sapphire or European Grundig/Blaupunkt Emden from the same period.

Also the guys that fit the iPod lead into the DIN socket, that can't sound right thru a stock mono radio, without some heavy modifications to the innards or a Retrosounds unit?

Well I think the Emdens look better than the early 70s (all-black) Sapphires, as they have a little chrome left on them and I have the black padded dash, but my car is a US model, so....
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Sapphire radio info Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
^^^Those were the days^^^ you could actually select your own mustic and it didn't sound half bad.

I had this in my bus for awhile. It is a 1968 format called "Playtape I" that is not cassette or 8-track. VW sold the cartridges at the dealer's parts counter. It came out right after the split bus ended.

More about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayTape

Thanks for the info, never knew about this format. I really like the pic though, a lot going on there!
Schmole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Sapphire radio info Reply with quote

Hey guys lots of great info on Sapphire radios! Check this one out. I have a 1966 Beatle made and sold in Mexico with a Sapphire III by Bendix PLUS an FM component in the ashtray. I cant find info on it at all! No markings whatsoever. Was this an option? Would love to get some info on it and get it working.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Sapphire radio info Reply with quote

Look in the "Classifieds" they come up for sale now and then.
EODTEK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Sapphire radio info Reply with quote

I am installing a refurbished Motorola Sapphire 1 radio in my 63 Typ 1. There are 3 leads coming out of the side. I recognize the power lead, and of course the speaker leads...but what is the 3rd lead for? Is that ground? Is that the illumination lead? That 3rd lead has a standard lug on it. In the drawings here on the Samba...in the manual section, there is info and a drawing, but unfortunately that drawing does not show 3rd lead. What is that lead for???
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Sapphire radio info Reply with quote

EODTEK wrote:
Is that the illumination lead?

Correct.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: