Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

40 hp european heads
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbeanbag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: 40 hp european heads Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me where to find the 1200cc /40hp heads with the larger (90.5mm) chamber to accept the larger jugs? I keep searching but only find junk. and the major suppliers search bar will not understand my search. They are casting number 113101371B. square rocker stud bases
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp european heads Reply with quote

your question would be better suited for the "vintage speed" forum.
PM a moderator to have it moved.

the smallest engines our buses came with were 1600cc.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp european heads Reply with quote

Uh, you're looking for hard to find late 40hp heads, and then they need to be machined for the 90.5 cylinders. They did not come stock like that. Where did this "european" nonsense come from?
pbeanbag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp european heads Reply with quote

this post was placed in the wrong section (sorry folks) it is a Beetle engine.
The "European" name came from jbugs when they figured out what i had
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikko N.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: 40 hp european heads Reply with quote

It's 113 101 373 you're after. They are the 1200 square boss heads, which came on '65 model.

There are few sets on the classifieds. Better ones and worse ones.
I was after these myself a few weeks but found them locally in the end. I got them for my 1200 with the big bore kit 83x64 in my mind.

Oh, and they need longer upper head studs if used with 1200 orig. case.

-BR
-Mikko-
62ItalianRagtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: 40 hp european heads Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://tettodistraccio.blogspot.it/2012/11/secondo-ingrediente-teste-nos.html
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 40 hp european heads Reply with quote

You can also use 113101371C heads but best to look for some where the long rocker arm studs have been replaced with the kit that uses bolts. If you go this route, you don't have to locate the hard to find longer case studs.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 40 hp european heads Reply with quote

Here's a little summary of some of the changes during the 1962-65 model years:

and in more detail

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: 40 hp european heads Reply with quote

European markets offered the 1200 engine well into the 1970's on the basic trim level. Since I've never seen this engine in person out of the car, or can't remember good close-up photos, I don't know if those later heads are still the 1965-based square-boss, or if they are a different casting altogether.

On the US-market 40hp heads, a 40hp big-bore kit with the 83mm cylinders will fit into a stock head without machining. With the stock 40hp crank (64mm stroke) you end up with 1385cc. If you want to install 90.5mm cylinders then the head needs to be machined. Trying to install 90.5mm cylinders (or the recent 88mm thick-walls which have the same outside diameter as the 90.5) into any later head (like from a 1300, 1500 or 1600cc engine) then the head also needs to be machined.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 40 hp european heads Reply with quote

Thank you for posting the changes Glutamodo. I was looking at a '61 Beetle 40 horse engine with the dip in the valve covers. I don't even know where to get a set of valve cover gaskets for it. There was a lot more changes to the 40 horse during production than I realized.

My understanding is that late, post U.S. type 1200 engines had more changes as well. Those parts would be hard to get in the U.S. but could be purchased from european sources. Is there an outline of the changes from 1965 forward posted? It may help the OP to find what will work.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp european heads Reply with quote

Actually, I don't know of any major changes after the Big Change to "short studs" and square-bosses in Nov 1964. I've got a pair of late 1200 heads, from the 1978-85 era when they were made in Mexico, and they are pretty much identical to the mid/late 1965 heads. In fact, I did a partial rebuild on the engine in my 62 last year, and I changed the German heads for those Mexican ones.

I think it took VW those 4+ years to figure out how to build a decent cylinder head, and once they got it right, they stuck with it.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp european heads Reply with quote

In other words it was just the block spigots that where larger on the late (post U.S.) 40 horse? I thought they may have opened up the head too, but I guess only the block makes sense, so 1 block would work on both 1.2 and 1.6 liter engines.

I looked up the part number the OP gave and that is one of the round boss heads. I believe the square boss ends 373, but didn't look it up separately. I find reference to 371 B and C heads and the pictures are round boss. If I understand right, B is 9 degree valve inclination and C is 9.5 degrees like the square boss heads.

I was looking at the possibility of building up a big bore 40 horse out of a '61 Beetle early 40 that was taken apart years ago. It has the small ports and dipped valve covers. The crank and rods concern me because of light rust on all visible surfaces, though the rods are still on the crank. I would need a couple short early pushrods and either and early small port intake manifold or a Bugspray in good condition. I do know it has all the weak parts, but I'd stick it in a light beach buggy.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp european heads Reply with quote

That first chart I put up above gives the casting and part numbers of the different heads and yes, the 373 was the square boss head. All you see on the heads themselves is the casting number (if you bought a complete finished head from VW you would had to use the actual part number that was not on the part at all, just on the box or bag it came in)

German 1200 cases were identical to 1300/1500/1600 blocks for models years 1970 to mid 1978. (Aug 69 to Jan 78 ) and used different wider-base cylinders. However the top ends of those were still the small 1200/1300 size. Mexican production from 1978-85 reverted to the 1961-69 style cases and cylinders. However they both used the same style square boss heads.

I've seen it where the early 40HP heads with the small 32mm intake ports had been machined out to 34mm allowing the later manifold to be used.

TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: 40 hp european heads Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
In other words it was just the block spigots that where larger on the late (post U.S.) 40 horse? I thought they may have opened up the head too, but I guess only the block makes sense, so 1 block would work on both 1.2 and 1.6 liter engines.

I looked up the part number the OP gave and that is one of the round boss heads. I believe the square boss ends 373, but didn't look it up separately. I find reference to 371 B and C heads and the pictures are round boss. If I understand right, B is 9 degree valve inclination and C is 9.5 degrees like the square boss heads.

I was looking at the possibility of building up a big bore 40 horse out of a '61 Beetle early 40 that was taken apart years ago. It has the small ports and dipped valve covers. The crank and rods concern me because of light rust on all visible surfaces, though the rods are still on the crank. I would need a couple short early pushrods and either and early small port intake manifold or a Bugspray in good condition. I do know it has all the weak parts, but I'd stick it in a light beach buggy.

Here's a pic from the gallery. Is this the "dip" head you are talking about? It's from the "Bastard" engine VW used and is the first version of the "40hp" that was only used in some 59-60 bus and not the Beetle, AFAIK. Maybe it's a later 40 that someone put those heads on. IIRC, May-ish of 1960, VW already started to install the better 40hp and realized their screw up before it ever made it into a Beetle. 1960 Beetle was still getting the 36hp until supplies ran down. My single cab actually came with one and still, I would never run anything from that era. Check everything else on that engine and make sure it's not a real "Bastard".

There's a reason it's called the "Bastard". First, and most importantly, VW for some ridiculous reason, messed with the main bearing arrangement and had to do a recall/retrofit to put it back to how all other late engines are configured. The 40 already has a weak crank, early head design stud failures, tiny intake ports, etc. my advice is to sell the Bastard stuff to a bus enthusiast building a show perfect Bus. The valve covers and tin are special and should be sold as well.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: 40 hp european heads Reply with quote

It was most certainly used on Beetles! From the start of 1961 into the first three months of model year 1962. It didn't have any of the venting stuff that the early Bastards had, but the offset top edge was still there. You might want to actually read the charts I posted above from VW publications, they both mention the date that this head was discontinued was 11/61 (Nov 2nd 1961, serial number 6210000) on the Type 1.

Oh, by the way, I happen to have some of the valve cover gaskets for that early style 40HP head. I'm not sure if I'd recommend anyone use them though, they are very thin and the cork is pretty dried out.

TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp european heads Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
It was most certainly used on Beetles! From the start of 1961 into the first three months of model year 1962. It didn't have any of the venting stuff that the early Bastards had, but the offset top edge was still there. You might want to actually read the charts I posted above from VW publications, they both mention the date that this head was discontinued was 11/61 (Nov 2nd 1961, serial number 6210000) on the Type 1.

Oh, by the way, I happen to have some of the valve cover gaskets for that early style 40HP head. I'm not sure if I'd recommend anyone use them though, they are very thin and the cork is pretty dried out.

We don't even know the part# of the head HE has. Progressive Refinements list the "real" bastard, which is the one with the POS bearing arrangement was done by the end of May 1960. The FIRST version of the bastard engine was still called a 36hp. Charts are not as important as seeing what is actually disassembled right in front of you.

First page, scroll down. This is where my info comes from

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187275&highlight=bastard+thread

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp european heads Reply with quote

Well, if you know 1961 and early 62s, you know they originally had heads with a dip in the top edge, which totally lines up with what he said. However you're quite right in that we don't know anything about these old parts of his. Considering how much trouble the long-stud heads gave back in the day, you seldom see the originals still in place.

Also, my second "chart" I posted above is not actually a chart, per se, it's extracts right out of Progressive Refinements.

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp european heads Reply with quote

The local owner reports they where in a '61 Bug that was parked in 1980 and he is a local guy that I have no reason to distrust. It has the small round oil hole in the block under the generator stand, it has the heads with the dip in the valve covers, it even has the long rocker studs still in the heads. It is not a 36 horse and I don't see any parts that would indicate it is a bastard Bus engine (those are worth more money and I would tell him what he had.) I was considering using it as a base for a basic big bore 40 horse. I know it has all the worst parts for that but a buggy is a light and open application.

I've previously owned a Bug with a 40 horse that also had the dipped valve covers, so I know its a real thing. One of the heads cracked in several directions (the exhaust valve seat fell out on disassembly.) I had to find another and had a shop rebuild them and change the rocker studs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: