Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

play MP3s in a Vanagon? (without wireless tech.)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: play MP3s in a Vanagon? (without wireless tech.) Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
Ohh and those FM transmitter units.. broadcast in Radio waves, not microwaves.. that's how you can receive them in 87.5khz

Radiowaves are Microwaves. It is all confusing but there are many names for WIRELESS RADIATION -- :
1. microwaves
2. radio frequency energy (RF)
3. non-ionizing microwave radiation.

The full name for the stuff in "non-ionizing radio frequency microwave radiation", which by the way is currently categorized by the W.H.O. as a class 2B possible carcinogen.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: play MP3s in a Vanagon? (without wireless tech.) Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CRBA9D8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use this. Works fine.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: play MP3s in a Vanagon? (without wireless tech.) Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

you do know that the air around you is full of microwaves at this and every moment.. those cell broadcast towers are always 'seeking' via microwaves.

Yes, you are correct. I have owned a microwave detector for 5 years now and have made extensive analyses of all of the environments in which I habitually find myself and I can say that you are completely correct in stating that microwave radiation is everywhere we go these days (unless you REALLY get out into the boonies).

However, the great misconception is regarding how much radiation there actually is in a given location, and how toxic that amount actually is.

We can say that H20 is literally everywhere, but we would all agree that at most humidity levels it is not harmful --- however if we would suddenly find ourselves in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, H20 would probably kill us. So H20 definitely is a potentially dangerous substance and it definitely is everywhere.

From what I found out through my testing is that although you can not escape microwave radiation in our modern world, you definitely CAN adjust your environment to reduce your exposures down to relatively harmless levels. It all depends on a few factors:
1) personal usage of wireless
2) personal proximity to cell towers and other peoples devices
3) how much shielding your dwelling provides

What is quite interesting is that our governments have only tested wireless radiation for safety in terms of THERMAL effects - they have not tested them for BIOLOGICAL effects. So in fact, cell phones and wifi and such things have not been proven biologically safe by our governments. Maybe they are safe, but the government can not guarantee this - they can only guarantee that public microwave emissions will not burn you.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: play MP3s in a Vanagon? Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
(even tin foil will work)

epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: play MP3s in a Vanagon? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
epowell wrote:
(even tin foil will work)

LOL Very Happy Very Happy Yes it works extremely well for microwaves.
We have 2 huge cell phone towers within 300m from our house and in one of my rooms the levels from that were too high for comfort - so I lined the offending wall with tin foil and it reduced the levels in that room by 90% Smile Smile
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: play MP3s in a Vanagon? (without wireless tech.) Reply with quote

My 2000 Jetta came with a cassette deck in the dash. I initially used an FM transmitter, but it was a royal PITA in and around large cities. Here in Phoenix and a radius of about 100 miles out, it's damn near impossible to get a clean, unused FM channel. I switched to a cassette adapter, which performed far, far better. As for audio quality, the Jetta had a high-quality sound system, which sounded pretty dang good to my non-audiophile ears.

My Vanagon and Cabriolet have modern head units that play digital tunes via USB, aux, or SD card. The Jetta was traded in for a new GTI, which VW finally got modern with.

If you wish to install a new head unit into your van, it most likely won't be a direct plug-and-play; you'll need a wiring harness adapter, which Sonic Electronix and other audio-specific retailers include with your purchase (Amazon and such might be a different story).
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: play MP3s in a Vanagon? (without wireless tech.) Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:

It plays all the 21st century formats through the USB port and sounds very good.

You mean if I pull out and unplug (disconnect) the cassette/radio unit I now have in there, this unit will pluging/connect to the same main connectors that my current cassette unit plugs into?

I doubt it. You'll probably need to wire it into the harness. The OEM cassette radio is very different!

Its not hard - except that you'll need to run a second wire for the other rear speaker.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: play MP3s in a Vanagon? (without wireless tech.) Reply with quote

Well at $5 I might as well first try the cassette thingy... I am surprise that it seems like everyone here is either using the cassette thing or the FM thing.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: play MP3s in a Vanagon? (without wireless tech.) Reply with quote

Your best option is to replace the stereo.

Crutchfield has a list of 1982 Vanagon compatible options, for example:
http://www.crutchfield.com/cpg/Digital-Media-Receivers.html

If you dont replace the stereo, these are other options:

In my 85 Westy with the Stock stereo, my cassette to Aux input adapter was not that good, I did not like hearing the Tape spin. That may say more about the quality of my stock radio, than the quality of the cassette.

I tried a wireless FM transmitter, but the sound quality would change when I drove in and out of different areas.

In my Jetta and Subaru, whose radios I did not want to swap out, I have had the most success, with Tranzit Link. Though I dont have it in a vanagon, I believe it would also work, but cant guarantee it.
http://isimple.com/catalog/install/IS7705

Tranzit is still an FM transmitter, but it is wired in directly to the back of the stereo AND it cuts off the FM antenna (switchable), and it plugs directly into my iPhone, thereby also keeping it charged without a need for an extra wire to the cigarette lighter.

If you dont use an iPhone, Tranzit also makes a version called Tranzit USB, that lets you plug in from a 3.5mm jack, or USB
https://www.amazon.com/iSimple-IS32-Universal-Integration-Smartphones/dp/B004613FCE
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: play MP3s in a Vanagon? (without wireless tech.) Reply with quote

Here's what I did in my Beetle. I've been using it since May and I love it Very Happy :

hopkin wrote:
I've been wanting install some kind of stereo that I could use a USB stick with, but I was torn as I didn't want to change out my stereo. I came up with this solution:

I bought a 12V power plug and installed it on the back of my stereo, on the support bracket:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I wanted something that I could remove, not permanent, this fit the bill as all I had to do was drill one hole in the support bracket, there was already a hole for the top bolt.

It is connected (and fused) on the same circuit as the 12V power plug I installed when I bought the car. This circuit is switched off when the ignition is off, so there is no drain on the battery.

I found this gadget on sale at Amazon for $28, and a 32G (micro SD) memory card for $12, enough for thousands of songs!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015MGRO64/ref=s9_al_bw_g107_i3

I can select the frequency, ideally one that is not used by any FM station where I live and travel to. No problem as this gadget can select from a channel anywhere from 87.5-108.0 Mhz. In North America, the FM band is slightly narrower than Europe (NA = 87.9-107.9 Mhz, Europe = 87.5-108.0 Mhz), but I have a European stereo Very Happy .

I set it up to broadcast at 87.6 Mhz, below the NA band, so I shouldn't run into any interference no matter where I travel:

I put ~2200 of my favorite songs on it, and selected song #1 when I powered it up for the first time. It plays through the songs alphabetically, starting where it left off each time I start the car. I don't expect to hear the same song twice for the entire driving season, maybe even next season!

It also does some Bluetooth stuff (that's what the remote is for), but I didn't want it for that, just play the songs, by installing it behind the stereo, it is out of sight and it works great!

A couple things, I did underestimate the number of songs I would hear in a driving season. About 2/3 of the songs have been played since I turned the unit on.

I've driven through one of the most congested FM areas in Canada (Toronto) and all along the 401 (major highway though many other cities) without any interference at all (thanks to being able to use the lower frequency [87.6])

The only problem I had was the iClever device popped out of the power plug when I hit a large bump in the road. I drilled a small hole and put in a set screw. I haven't had any problems since.

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
silversync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: play MP3s in a Vanagon? (without wireless tech.) Reply with quote

Many head units (older ones) have the controls built in for a 6 or 10 CD changer in the trunk. The head unit has a cable connection that goes to the CD changer. In my case, Kenwood, there is a cable available for purchase about $20.00 that connects to the CD changer function on the head unit and the other end is a plug for the audio port in your favorite phone or iPod, etc. This of course has much cleaner sound than the cassette adapter or the FM transmitter adapter.

The audio jack however has less cleaner sound than bluetooth or a USB drive. But I have a cable in the glove compartment (hidden) or it can lay out on the floor for access. Good thing about this is that any device can connect, guest's phone for example.

Otherwise I agree with other writers, install a new head unit, $100 would do the job.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: play MP3s in a Vanagon? (without wireless tech.) Reply with quote

Here's another option...

https://rediscoveradio.com

I have their "AM" version in my old Chevy pickup, part# RediRad AM/N. It still has the factory tube type radio.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stephenmarklay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: play MP3s in a Vanagon? (without wireless tech.) Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
Here's another option...

https://rediscoveradio.com

I have their "AM" version in my old Chevy pickup, part# RediRad AM/N. It still has the factory tube type radio.

All I can say is cool you have a tube type radio in your car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: