Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crew cab front gate latches
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stealthy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:14 am    Post subject: Crew cab front gate latches Reply with quote

Hi guys, as per the photos. Is this right? Is the profile correct or should it be a straight edge. Clearance for the latch fixings? All original car so a little bemused to see if this has been bent or something.

Thanks guys
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Australian CKD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Crew cab front gate latches Reply with quote

It is supposed to be that way. Otherwise, the latch could not be installed.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Stealthy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Crew cab front gate latches Reply with quote

Good thanks. I've seen others that are straight but maybe it was a repro section?

Either way it's solved a question. Cheers guys.

Australian CKD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Crew cab front gate latches Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:

What? Those gate latches easily drop down into their respective locations- and are screwed on from the inside. Those outtie dents are not by any means necessary- and are not stock. Somebody used it as a cargo hook hold- they don't even align with the latch pivot. Further, they relied on the latch to serve as a "stop" so their hook would not slide.

Unless somebody has seen a PR change that resulted in my front bulkhead being straight and earlier ones "clearanced," I'm calling it a user error.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Crew cab front gate latches Reply with quote

Our 1963 DC has those bends in the same place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Crew cab front gate latches Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:

i am sure my 61 did as well

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
mdubg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Crew cab front gate latches Reply with quote

I've owned a couple Crew Cabs and they both had the bow in that rail. It's super coincidence, or stock. I say the later.

Current: '60 Double Cab
Previous: '65 Double Cab (stolen)
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Crew cab front gate latches Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Crew cab front gate latches Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
cru62 wrote:

What? Those gate latches easily drop down into their respective locations- and are screwed on from the inside. Those outtie dents are not by any means necessary- and are not stock. Somebody used it as a cargo hook hold- they don't even align with the latch pivot. Further, they relied on the latch to serve as a "stop" so their hook would not slide.

Unless somebody has seen a PR change that resulted in my front bulkhead being straight and earlier ones "clearanced," I'm calling it a user error.

The four Double Cabs and one Single Cab I have owned all had that bump.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stealthy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Crew cab front gate latches Reply with quote

majority rules then? Laughing

Thanks all.

Australian CKD
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Crew cab front gate latches Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
nlorntson wrote:

i am sure my 61 did as well

My '61 has them.

If I look at the ridges they are pretty close to the latches, it makes me wonder if they did that because:
* The latch would be really close to the metal otherwise, any sort of bump from cargo might make the latch rub against the ridge
* Bending it adds additional rigidity so if there was a cargo bump, it wouldn't bend inward as easily.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djholland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Crew cab front gate latches Reply with quote

Does anyone have the dimensions of the bump - width, depth and height? My 65 had these on the original back (long gone) and I need to reproduce on my replacement panel.
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Crew cab front gate latches Reply with quote

my 64 DC has them too. They are supposed to be there.
Huetti_1989
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Crew cab front gate latches Reply with quote

my 57 Single cab have them too....
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=757182
My 1954 Deutsche Bundespost Barndoor:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=621802
My 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westfalia:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=716285
My 1991 Westfalia California:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=650751
kalymnos Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Crew cab front gate latches Reply with quote

Take a look here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...;start=560

Scroll to Sun Apr 12
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Crew cab front gate latches Reply with quote

My '59 Double-Cab has 'em too. I think we've definitively established they are supposed to be there. Time to lock this?

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Crew cab front gate latches Reply with quote

My apologies on the earlier rigs- but were they ever changed to be flat? Somewhere long ago mine must have been flattened too because it is an early '65 bus- but I sure do not know why. All the bed metal on my DC is original- including the corners (but I did not catch all dent removals, etc.).

Again, sorry for my premature adamancy! Embarassed

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Crew cab front gate latches Reply with quote

My guess is that someone who worked on your VW Bus flattened them out. It can be fixed
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Crew cab front gate latches Reply with quote

It was repainted root beer many years ago- but recently underwent a full repaint in a more correct color. I didn't notice it before- concentrating on known dings and a dogleg repair, nose dent, etc.. This is truly upsetting news. Time to consult a painter friend about what's involved in applying the curve to those things. If Bill sees this DC and I haven't re-curved the front bulkhead, I'll have to disguise it with a tilt. Sorry again for my taste of crow. Embarassed

EDIT- sorry for the obsession- but since my latches easily clear with a straight rim- are those 'divots' possibly for clearance of the leading edge of a tilt? Specifically, does the gather (or whatever hem a tilt has on the front overlap) require extra clearance around those latches?

Me thinks it is for such a need. More importantly, am I slightly redeemed? Cool

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: