Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

with the glass in i put on my first sticker!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

took the windows out and painted around where we mounted the tabs along with some of the dash that had missing paint from when the rust was repaired.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

safety kit to keep on board

jail bars back in after glass and Grateful Dead sticker on!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TexasAirCooler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Nice to see it coming back together so you can start to really enjoy it!

Common Sense Is A Flower That Doesn't Grow In Everyone's Garden.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

I gave the paint a couple of days to dry. I put a little glue 3M yellow weatherstrip adhesive in the corners and the top for the seals. Then I realized when fitting them the first time I hadn't really got them into the corners all the way thus causing a gap this time when I did...

That's okay because I have a four inch piece that I'll but cutting and putting in. Just a little advice for those that might tackle this sometime, make sure you really get the seal deep and tight into those tight corners.

I'm hoping to weld/patch the square hole in the nose this weekend and then soon after paint it! Really looking forward to this part Smile
going to try it to make look similar to this...

Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

more ugly primer removal..

dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Nice bus and nice work!
67Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Your bus looks fantastic! Great inspiration for ours. I do have to ask tho; does that insulation you put up help? I used it on a floor once as a experiment and didn't see a change. Granted, it may work great on a roof but I wasn't willing to pull down the headliner of my Studebaker to find out.
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

67Cabrio wrote:
Your bus looks fantastic! Great inspiration for ours. I do have to ask tho; does that insulation you put up help? I used it on a floor once as a experiment and didn't see a change. Granted, it may work great on a roof but I wasn't willing to pull down the headliner of my Studebaker to find out.

yes it helps with the heat!
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

always had this nasty seam!

so we cleaned it up

made some metals strips

and welded them on! I'm so happy. This really makes Helga pretty!

also cut a patch for the hole

and welded it in!

It looks fantastic! What a great day! Thanks Moe!
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Are you taking it to Boerne tomorrow?

This is my favorite thread.
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

your bus is lookin better every day!
Moe is the man on the body work for sure. He does it right.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

zozo wrote:
Are you taking it to Boerne tomorrow?

This is my favorite thread.

Sorry I wasn't able to make out for this! Been real busy with the bus, family and prep for the Harvest!

Yah Greg! He really is! he basically wouldn't let me leave without fixing it. I was planning on just seaming seam sealer all over it and throw the bumper on. I'm really happy it's "whole" now!
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

another picture of the metal work! I'm so happy

the first round of bondo is on. Hoping to sand it tomorrow and probably another coat after that I'd imagine

this little area is an example of "picking your battles" for now I'm going to clean it up and just patch it.

So I'm using the bondo with fiberglass in it. This is better than a hole but worse than fixing it the right way. But this is good enough for now! I can't wait to paint the nose!
Col_Forbin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Helga is looking good but even better with each day! I'm really likin the stance.. those are general grabbers right?
71 Deluxe Bay
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Col_Forbin wrote:
Helga is looking good but even better with each day! I'm really likin the stance.. those are general grabbers right?

Yep the General Grabbers! Thanks brother
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

I was able to sand the first coat of bondo and apply the second thinner coat. Hopefully It's done after this.

I ended up having to redo the fiberglass bondo as I hadn't mixed in enough hardener the first time. So I'm getting better with practice.

Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

i got some sanding done and a few coats of primer on it. Was hoping the primer was going to fill some of the smaller holes more. I'll have to sand one more time I think and then paint

Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

i got lucky and scored a very nice original step! I wasn't planning on having one but real happy to have it!

after straightening the rear jack point a little to make it fit, i measured and marked for where the holes needed to go

then i drilled them and applied a little antiseize

bam!

it's actually pretty helpful for my kids getting in. And i've found it's nice to sit you feet on when you're sitting on the cargo floor
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

The air is dry today and there is no wind so I figured, why not?! Let's do this..

stripping down

taped off and ready to go, driveway paint booth action!

it's pretty close, close enough for me. I'm happy. It will loose alot of the shine and get more milky once we wet sand it
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Wow, you made a lot of progress! Looks good.

Do you think you'll do any white faux-tina on the "V"?

Last edited by Pinetops on Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 26

Jump to: