Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor - Kuhltek
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor - Kuhltek Reply with quote

This would be my approach; If you already own it try it and see if the carburetor/distributor work ok for you. Then if either is not satisfactory go from there to something better/original.

The 34 PICT 3 is the best carburetor for the dual port the problem is finding a worthy distributor that you can match to it.

The issues with the 043 905 034 distributor are from a rebuilders standpoint. My opinion and the opinion of others is that Bosch did not build them to be rebuilt. They were made to be run and then tossed. There are plastic parts that are NLA and after 45 years they are brittle. So if you can find a good working 034 after 45 years of use= great...

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor - Kuhltek Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
This would be my approach; If you already own it try it and see if the carburetor/distributor work ok for you. Then if either is not satisfactory go from there to something better/original.

The 34 PICT 3 is the best carburetor for the dual port the problem is finding a worthy distributor that you can match to it.

The issues with the 043 905 034 distributor are from a rebuilders standpoint. My opinion and the opinion of others is that Bosch did not build them to be rebuilt. They were made to be run and then tossed. There are plastic parts that are NLA and after 45 years they are brittle. So if you can find a good working 034 after 45 years of use= great...

Tasb, you rebuild the early 70's DVDA's for the 34-3 carbs that were installed in bugs that are not littered with the plastic parts. Some vacuum cans are still out there for them. That would be my choice if I was in this gentleman's shoes.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor - Kuhltek Reply with quote

I picked up an Empi 34 PICT 3 as a temporary carb, but I'm pretty pleased with it. It was clean out of the box, and with a little tuning it's a good runner. It will fit with an alternator without grinding the alt or adding a spacer, and the fuel barb is threaded into the carb body not pressed in. I would definitely run that carb and a Pertronix SVDA on your rail, which is the exact set-up I'm running on my Manxter. When setting up the carb, note that the initial setting for the volume control screw may be a turn or two more than the recommended initial setting of 2.5 turns out. I think you will be pleased with the performance, and it won't break your budget. Amazon has the Pertronix SVDA with electronic ignition for $125 shipped, though many of the VW shops may be around the same price.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor - Kuhltek Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
tasb wrote:

Tasb, you rebuild the early 70's DVDA's for the 34-3 carbs that were installed in bugs that are not littered with the plastic parts. Some vacuum cans are still out there for them. That would be my choice if I was in this gentleman's shoes.

In the last few months I have gone through all of my 113 905 205 AN and AJ cores. It's taken nearly two dozen cores to wind up with 4 or 5 good distributors. That is not a very good success rate.

The Pertronix distributor make work ok out of the box and there are those who report dissatisfaction with them, I'd wonder about their ability to last over the long haul. anyone been using the Pertronix SVDA for more than five years? It's not a good alternative if it has a short useful life.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bartjeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor - Kuhltek Reply with quote

Hi is anybody here familiar with this product? Cool

http://www.123ignition.nl/products.php

It is a Dutch product and uses 'digital' vacuum sensor and depending on the model can be tuned by standard programs using dip switches or the more expensive models by means of an app on Smartphone.

I installed one in my buggy (1600 engine) and it runs superb, it also has special ignition timing while starting for easy starting of the engine. And also without running engine the power is taken of the coil, so no more burned coils.
They however advise to buy a new coil together with the distributer to be sure all is in good condition.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor - Kuhltek Reply with quote

The Porsche and MG guys have reported mixed results.

I'd opt for the CB Digital instead... if that's the direction you want to go.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: