Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Finally Found My Bus!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BLUTO74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Finally Found My Bus! Reply with quote

Hello everyone! It's been a long time since I've been active here and figured I'd revive my old thread. I just returned to the states after spending 4 years in Japan. Now I only have 14 months until I retire from the military and I'll have more time to focus on Bluto. Wink

Let me start off by saying Bluto is no longer in good shape. By that, I mean interior wise. Prior to departing for Japan, I left the bus in San Antonio in the care of my father-in-law. It was garaged, kept clean and was running like a top. Well, my FIL moved to a house with a garage that could not fit Bluto thus leaving him out in the elements. The inside exhaust fan on top began to leak creating moisture and the onset of mildew and mold began. The paneling has rot away. It's a damn shame, but now my only choice is to gut the interior and salvage as much as I can, if any. Sad

Besides that, my FIL apparently drove it to a VW show about an hour away and on his return trip, overheated the bus. The answer to that was, "we were in a hurry to get home." I'm assuming he pushed it too much....unfortunately, I'll never know. Confused I'll be dropping the engine as well and see how much damage was done.

I will be posting pics soon. Sorry for the rambling, but I wanted to spark this thread again as I'm sure I'll be soliciting for help in the near future.

"HEIR KOMMT BLUTO"

"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."
BLUTO74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally Found My Bus! Reply with quote

As promised, here are some pictures of my current interior. I have already began to remove the parts that were already destroyed or deteriorating. I'll be removing the paneling along the high top so that I can access the headliner and eventually seal up the vent area where I'm assuming moisture was coming in. It's a sad day for Bluto. Sad
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"HEIR KOMMT BLUTO"

"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally Found My Bus! Reply with quote

Ouch! Can you save any of the interior?

Sitting is tough for a vehicle, 4 wheeled or 2 - especially when moisture becomes an issue.
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally Found My Bus! Reply with quote

Poor Bluto Sad

I hope you're able to restore him back to his former glory.

My 1968 Campmobile
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally Found My Bus! Reply with quote

Google Black Mold, and please wear the appropriate safety equipment.

Good luck
Tcash
vic74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally Found My Bus! Reply with quote

That water damage sucks but 14 months to retirement sounds SWEET! Plenty of time to get that interior sorted out and then plenty of time for ROAD TRIPS!
I'm curious about the cutout in the spare tire well. Was that part of the camper conversion? For a heater perhaps?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: