Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New heater channel, and wolfsburgwest floor
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chopped73beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: New heater channel, and wolfsburgwest floor Reply with quote

I removed the left floor pan from my 73 with the body not separated from the chassis. I bought a the Wolfsburgwest passenger floor pan and it slipped in with out a problem.

The thru holes align with most of their corresponding heat channel nuts and are within .030 position respectively. The large pan thru holes make up for this deviation, I'm happy with this product.

I removed the new pan from test fit up and placed it on my work bench, next I took a new deluxe heater channel for 140$ from cip1 and proceeded to test fit it to the floor. What I found was bad. All of the nuts are all over the place. I was told this was the dansk product and it was the best on the market.

I doesnt seem right that I will have to modified the pan holes to fit the heater channel. Any thoughts on the heat channel there off at least a 1/4" or more. Do I return it and get a better product or should I separate. The heat channel halves and relocate the nuts. If I do this I can prep the inside

Last edited by chopped73beetle on Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
chopped73beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New heater channel, Junk? Reply with quote

After further fit up on the bench it looks like it isn't misaligned as I thought. But we will see when I remove old channel and fit new up. May to enlarge hole
L
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New heater channel, and wolfsburgwest floor Reply with quote

I also bought the Dansk channels and test for them on a factory pan before I removed it. The holes didn't line up completely they were always closer to one of the edges of the holes, not centered. You may need to mess with the pans.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New heater channel, and wolfsburgwest floor Reply with quote

that sucks.... it only takes one time to get things right... I don't see how a manufacturer would let things like this pass QC, but we see it time and again.......
edselflop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: New heater channel, and wolfsburgwest floor Reply with quote

I too am getting ready for floor pans & heater channels. Seeing these issues with the Dansk channels has me a little concerned .... aren't they SUPPOSED to be a "better fit" than the Klokkerholm channels? I wish that I could afford the "lime green" channels (I understand that they are "spot-on"), but my budget doesn't allow those ......

I am also going to attempt the "body-on" approach ..... hope I don't regret it. I have the Bug Me videos for floors & channels as my guide ..... "What could possibly go wrong, right"?!?!

1964 VW Bug
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New heater channel, and wolfsburgwest floor Reply with quote

According to one of the best builders I know, Klassic Fab has the best heater channels, but be prepared for the price. They aint cheap.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: