Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Add some lift and width to 1970 Beetle
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mynticelx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Add some lift and width to 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

First, thanks to everyone for the incredible resources that this site provides. I have been lurking for just over a year with reading, learning. I have finally purchased a 1970 Beetle and want to raise it a bit, add of A/T tires, and maybe widen the stance a bit for stability.

So, in saying this - I am very much just learning about the parts and components that will need to be adjusted to do this. I want to do it right and willing to put in whatever investment is needed to do it right.

This is the look that I am shooting for:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So - I think one of the first things I will need to accomplish is the "cut/turn" on the front. I am considering buying a pre-fabbed widened beam from Bugzyla or another spot. I am wondering how wide I should go and how much travel I should go (stock/8/10)?

Also, I am completely lost when it comes to the rear and what needs to be done here. It appears through reading that it could be as "simple" as removing the torsion bar plate and moving it up a couple notches.

Again - I am VERY much new into all of this and have been reading two different buggy books and trying to piece together threads to what I want to do. I wish there was a shop locally that I could go and talk to - but I havent found any. So I guess I've got to learn myself.

Thanks for all the help.
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Add some lift and width to 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

Do a search for Class 11, and you will find tons of information, as well as some fine examples. I myself are also working on an "offroad bug".
Mynticelx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Add some lift and width to 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

Yea, Ive read a lot of the Class 11 build threads.. but there isn't really a "do this" kinda threads that I've found. I guess everyone has their own purposes and what not and you just have to piece together what you think will work for you.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Add some lift and width to 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

Lots and lots of info on here. Check out here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=491123&highlight=baja+bug+virgins

How much knowledge of Volkswagens do you have? Do you want to offroad or just look the part?

Also check out the build thread in my signature, my PO did well.

Basically get lift spindles and/or cut and turn the beam. Hook and rod suspension stops encouraged. Thing spindles with flipped lower arms of you have the money.

Adjust the rear suspension, change out the stub axles for larger CVs. Either have a properly geared transmission or get a 2 liter or larger motor to work with your stock 4.125 R&P trans.

215/75-15 or 235/75-15 tires depending on your gearing/engine size.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Add some lift and width to 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

Have you been over to the "Class11coalition" forum, lots of good info there...

http://class11coalition.com/forum/503-suspension-tech

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Mynticelx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Add some lift and width to 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

Thank you both for your responses. These are great. I'll take a look at them now. Probably will be back with more questions!
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Add some lift and width to 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

Get the book. Good material for reference.
rockcrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Add some lift and width to 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Thing spindles with flipped lower arms of you have the money.

Don't flip the lower arms. The ball joint boss is angled. Flipping the arms puts the ball joint at a greater angle relative to the spindle and lessens the allowable travel. If you want to use Thing spindles with Bug arms, just use Thing ball joints. The Thing ball joints are bigger/stronger anyway.

Thing spindles add 3" lift and a little bit of width too. I think it's 1.5" but I don't remember if that's per side or total.

Here's a pic of my Bug with Thing spindles. It's a stock width Bug beam with adjusters. The tires are 235/75R15 on 5.5" stock style wheels. The tires are outside the fenders by about 1". You will need custom trailing arms and CVs to get the rear this high.

SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Add some lift and width to 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

If your a redneck you can build some. These are 2.75" lift and 1.25" wider on each side.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Add some lift and width to 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

If that red Bug is the look and sort of car you are after, then the beam should be stock width like it is on that red Bug.

I think that red Bug has stock spindles with the beam cut and rotated, and the rear with stock arms and the torsion re-indexed.

While it's real popular with Class 11 Look Bug guys to use Thing spindles or modified lift spindles like Sam suggested, the Class 11 race rules that inspires this whole type of car do not allow Thing Spindles or lift spindles. ONLY stock Bug spindles are allowed on the race cars.

I'm not saying don't use lift spindles. It's certainly a viable option. Just don't think you HAVE TO use lift spindles. Be open to just using the stock ones.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Add some lift and width to 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
If that red Bug is the look and sort of car you are after, then the beam should be stock width like it is on that red Bug.

I think that red Bug has stock spindles with the beam cut and rotated, and the rear with stock arms and the torsion re-indexed.

While it's real popular with Class 11 Look Bug guys to use Thing spindles or modified lift spindles like Sam suggested, the Class 11 race rules that inspires this whole type of car do not allow Thing Spindles or lift spindles. ONLY stock Bug spindles are allowed on the race cars.

I'm not saying don't use lift spindles. It's certainly a viable option. Just don't think you HAVE TO use lift spindles. Be open to just using the stock ones.

Hmm that made me think in a full or plus weight class 11 you probably are Ok with cut and turn, but I'd suspect if your building a look a like with no cage or anything that it may be too rough riding cut and turned if it's a highway car. I'm really not sure though. My experience is rails and such.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Add some lift and width to 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

"Cut & Turn" is a relative term. How far you turn the center torsion anchor determines whether the ride will be hard as a race car needs to be, or comfy as stock for street riding. This is why it's popular to install adjusters so the ride can be adjusted for the situation and not have to worry about whether the turn was too far or not far enough. Installing adjusters is the same work as cut & turn. The adjusters are not expensive.

One can achieve a raised ride height without making the suspension rock hard.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Add some lift and width to 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

This is how mine looks with a 3/8" cut and turn and reindexed the rear torsion plates so they cover 1/2 of the rear bottom hole for the cover.

The tires on it are 225/75/15's on stock rims. I want to notch the spring plates one of these days for about another inch of lift with out putting to much angle on the CV's.
Right now it is always on the stops so it clunks a bit over sharp bumps but its not bad. I am debating over just cutting it up into a Baja so it would be eaiser to work on the motor.

Casey
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
117harv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Add some lift and width to 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
This is how mine looks with a 3/8" cut and turn and reindexed the rear torsion plates so they cover 1/2 of the rear bottom hole for the cover.

The tires on it are 225/75/15's on stock rims. I want to notch the spring plates one of these days for about another inch of lift with out putting to much angle on the CV's.
Right now it is always on the stops so it clunks a bit over sharp bumps but its not bad. I am debating over just cutting it up into a Baja so it would be eaiser to work on the motor.

Casey

Bug CV joints?
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Add some lift and width to 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:

Casey

Hey Casey,
How about making the rear apron, fenders and engine compartment sides readily removable? Not REAL EZ to do, but not that bad either. I've had thoughts of doing that if I build a full body car. (Class 11 with wide rear fenders and tires).

This is my long-term inspiration. Built in the late 60s by Don Rountree, original producer of both of the most common Baja kit styles with headlights in the fenders. This photo from the cover of the 1970 Baja-Prepping VW Sedans and Buggies. The forerunner book to Jeff Hibbard's Baja Bugs and Buggies.

SoCalBajas Member
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Add some lift and width to 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

Never look back

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Add some lift and width to 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Never look back

Dude that's totally rookie shit. I mean fuel filter in the engine bay?😃 Nice set up.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Add some lift and width to 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

I don't remember why I had that there, but it's not now. If you're thinking about doing a removable apron, do it. I have wasted too much time in my life just taking shit off to get the engine out.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Add some lift and width to 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

117harv wrote:
earthquake wrote:

Casey

Bug CV joints?

Yep, they are type 1 CV's, I pulled them apart and polished the internals a bit and greased them with new boots.

Casey
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
117harv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Add some lift and width to 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

^^^^ Thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: