Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How Long Does Paint Keep In The Can?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NewTechnicIan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: How Long Does Paint Keep In The Can? Reply with quote

Howdy y'all,
So I got my beetle painted earlier on in the year, but the guy who did it put the clear coat on so thin in some spots that as soon as I tried wet sanding and buffing, I burned through into the color Evil or Very Mad

I knew that you can't put clear back over dry color or the burn through spot will show, so I knew I signed myself up for essentially sanding down the bad panels with 400 grit, putting at least a layer or two of color down, then a whole bunch of clear so that I wouldn't have issues showing burn-through.

So I did that, repainted my roof and one of my quarter panels, but it turned out the WHOLE BUG is like this! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

I still have a bunch of paint and clear coat left from painting the roof (this was in May). It's all activated two part/three part Nason stuff so I doubt it's going bad sitting in the can but still, how long do you think I have before I shouldn't use that stuff any more?

I actually have quite a bit, like enough to do the rest of the car and I don't want to waste money getting more of it. I'm also getting nervous about the end of the season up here in Vermont - I'll be painting in my garage-turned-paintbooth so I need temperatures in the 70s. Basically I need to paint in the next 3 weeks or I won't have a chance til spring, so will my paint last that long??

Thanks!

My 1679 Engine build.
DWP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: How Long Does Paint Keep In The Can? Reply with quote

I would Check with the Mfg. Then mix up a sample and brush it on something to see what happens.
We just sprayed my sons truck with some year old eastwood epoxy.
Was still tacky the next day. Had to wipe it down with laquer thinner and buy new. I think storing the cans in a cold hot garage was what did it.

DWP
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: How Long Does Paint Keep In The Can? Reply with quote

As long as you sealed up the can good after use and the paint didn't go through a freeze cycle, it should still be good. As said though, a test spray should answer your question.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: How Long Does Paint Keep In The Can? Reply with quote

yeah I wouldn't worry about it, bring it inside though for the winter... I've shot paint/clear that was in a climate controlled area a couple years later...

hindsight sucks don't it??
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: How Long Does Paint Keep In The Can? Reply with quote

I used the Matrix system paint and it says on the tech sheet infinite pot life for base.
NewTechnicIan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: How Long Does Paint Keep In The Can? Reply with quote

Hi all,
Well, I painted and cleared saturday night and it worked out well! so that's great. I also brought all my paint supplies into the basement.

The guy at the paint shop tells me that as long as the can is sealed, none of the parts are mixed, and none of them freeze, then they're all pretty much good for as long as you want. He told me to come by him if I want it reshaken in the spring for good measure though Laughing

Thanks for the help folks!

My 1679 Engine build.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: