Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Volksrod widest front tires and wheel options ??fenderless
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eric03k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Volksrod widest front tires and wheel options ??fenderless Reply with quote

Hello samba, i been reading ur forums and have learned alot, never posted anything my first post hopefully im in the right place.i wasnt but now i know im in the right place..ok here we go ..right now im in the market to convert my 4 wheel drums into disc using the 5 lug patter....but i dont have wheels or tires to go with it. I kinda have an idea what i wanna put on rear but the front wheel area is where im having issues not a whole lot of info ..imma remove all fenders , so thats one less issue to worry about. But i would like to go for the widest wheel and tire combination with deepest dish as possible without rubbin on the inside of wheel well...at the moment i have adjustable struts, everything else is stock at moment...74 vw super beetle..thanks in advance
lewism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Volksrod widest front tires and wheel options ??fenderless Reply with quote

I don't know if it is the right area either, but... why?

If you are putting a V-8 in the front, then Okay, but have you ever tried replacing your 165-15s with 145s? Light, narrow tires on the front are a real joy.

If you put wide tires on, without unequal-length A-arms, when the body rolls the tires run on the inner or outer edge.

Back in the day, I put F60-15 fiberglass-belted bias ply tires on 8" Buick rims on a 1957 36hp Beetle. On gravel, the wheels would steer and the brakes would stop, but if you turned and braked at the same time, it went straight ahead without slowing down.

I would take the weight on each front wheel and find a tire size that can carry that weight plus maybe 50%. If you're doing it for the look, replace the spare tire with sacks of concrete mix.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Volksrod widest front tires and wheel options ??fenderless Reply with quote

Wheel offset is what you need to be looking at. But most of the standard aftermarket wheels have similar offsets. Measure what you have for a baseline and see how much you can go in. There are online tire/wheel calculators that allow you to plug in various tires and wheel and compare to a stock configuration. Takes a bit of messing around, but you can usually get damn close. You may find that you may need to add a spacer and there are some pretty decent ones out there.

An alternative is to mock things up and measure. There are fixtures that you can buy at places like Summit, but you can make your own using things like coat hangers clamped onto a wheel.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Volksrod widest front tires and wheel options ??fenderless Reply with quote

Been to volksrods.com ? Great group. They could probably give you some answers on this. I know they'll question why you don't lob the front off and put a standard beam under there. (You could swap that over in a day.)
Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Volksrod widest front tires and wheel options ??fenderless Reply with quote

Its all wheel offset and overall tire diameter. I have 14x12 and 14x10 aluminum slots with 235/65 and 245/65 wide rear tires for two of my cars. The 10"s fit on the front of my car with no problems, but it looks rediculous Wink

Dig around on Volksrods.com. I think its waterbug that has something like 10" wide 15"s on the front of a lowered fenderless street baja.

This is another similar with a little smaller tire

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
Zachary.macpherson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Volksrod widest front tires and wheel options ??fenderless Reply with quote

I'm in the same situation no fender and wheel wells are cut out at the line where the fenders would meet the body I just need to know how big I can go before I start to rub the shock towers it's a 69 IRS rear end
green giant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Volksrod widest front tires and wheel options ??fenderless Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
green giant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Volksrod widest front tires and wheel options ??fenderless Reply with quote

Those are 10 in. wide. I don't have any rubbing issues, but I also have adapters on it so that widens it a little.I also believe the car has been lifted a little but not 100% sure. it was this height when i got it
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: