Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1964 Variant Harness-engine bay wiring question
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: 1964 Variant Harness-engine bay wiring question Reply with quote

I've got a 1964 Variant S with the original wire harness. It looks like a few of the wire ends have been lengthened a bit some time ago. It doesn't look like any other 'hacking' has taken place though.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

From the wiring diagram, it appears that there should be one red, one green, one black w/green stripe, one black...I've circled them in blue in the above diagram.

The part that doesn't quite make sense is that I've got more wires than is shown in the wiring diagram. My terrible photo attempts to illustrate the situation:

Outline of what I've got:

Red wire (generator) D
Green wire (generator) DF
Black and green wire (oil pressure switch)
Black wire (coil) goes directly to the coil (not choke as pictured in wiring diagram), from the coil to each choke - again, not as pictured.
2nd black wire (same diameter as green wire) - not connected to anything

Is the 2nd black wire supposed to go to the choke on the left carb? I think I read a while back that the routing of the choke wires changed but now I can't find that in my book.

If that's the case - any harm in using only one of the two black wires? I'd use the thicker one that goes to the coil and maintain the current wiring from the coil to the chokes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HenrikL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Variant Harness-engine bay wiring question Reply with quote

Not the best pictures, but here is what it looks like in my 1964 1500S Notchback.

ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Variant Harness-engine bay wiring question Reply with quote

Based on your photos - I have one less black wire than you do...explains that the two black wires should have been going to one connector. Mine has been cut so I know it's not complete/original.

I bought a NOS Variant wire harness and I'll probably unroll it enough to see which wires are in the original harness.

For now - the extra black wire is not in use and the car starts/runs fine because the chokes are wired from the coil.

Thanks again for the photos!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Variant Harness-engine bay wiring question Reply with quote

Yeah, my 64 T-34 1500S was set up like HenrikL's. I think you'll be ok with it like it's set up. It just might not be "stock". Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Variant Harness-engine bay wiring question Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Yeah, my 64 T-34 1500S was set up like HenrikL's. I think you'll be ok with it like it's set up. It just might not be "stock". Wink

Thanks for the confirmation, Bob.

The electrical parts are moving away from stock as I work on the car because I'm 'improving' the electrical path - which means that I'm installing relays and more direct paths to power to increase performance and reduce load on areas that shouldn't have one (ignition switch, headlight switch, etc.). I'm making reversible changes in the event I decide I want to revert to the mid 60's again.
HenrikL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Variant Harness-engine bay wiring question Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

The electrical parts are moving away from stock as I work on the car because I'm 'improving' the electrical path - which means that I'm installing relays and more direct paths to power to increase performance and reduce load on areas that shouldn't have one (ignition switch, headlight switch, etc.). I'm making reversible changes in the event I decide I want to revert to the mid 60's again.

Is your car a push button model? In that case it would be nice to see how you wire the relays for the headlights.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Variant Harness-engine bay wiring question Reply with quote

My car is push button but I converted it to 12 volt.

I'll post up the harnesses/relays once I get them installed and I know they work properly. It'll potentially be a couple of weeks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: