Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Still grinding second even with new bushing and coupler.
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
micahmonster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Still grinding second even with new bushing and coupler. Reply with quote

Hi all!

I searched quite a bit and couldn't find anything past the two usual suspects.

My 68 Square Manual had a new shift bushing put in just a small number of miles ago, before I got her back from my friend, but I have the receipt for the work and I verified it is new and in perfect shape yesterday.
Yesterday I also replaced the rear coupler (boy , was that a fun job) - It totally tightened up what was super loose shifting, but when you shift to second from first, it will still grind, unless you do so at a low rpm and a very gentle touch. Downshifting to second? forgeddaboutit.

Any ideas? This has been an issue for a long time according to my friend who had her the last 13 years since I gave it to him in '03.

The Tranny is quiet otherwise, clutch replaced about 4-5k miles (and 14 years) ago. It's strong and I just replaced the gear oil (some very fine metal in the magnets). there is a slight leak just making the front of the tranny greasy - might be the backup seal as they aren't currently working. (of course I bought a new switch AFTER replacing the oil, silly me) - there was a minor leak at the drum seal which I fixed two weeks ago

Any insight appreciated!
68 Square
74 T4 Square
73 Ghia

And now I've got that 68 Squareback.. back!

I may have a habit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Still grinding second even with new bushing and coupler. Reply with quote

Is your front tranny mount in good shape?
The rear/two lower mounts, too?
Shift plate adjusted properly?
After these, it may be headed for a rebuild.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Still grinding second even with new bushing and coupler. Reply with quote

yes to the above

what gear oil was used?
micahmonster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Still grinding second even with new bushing and coupler. Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Is your front tranny mount in good shape?
The rear/two lower mounts, too?
Shift plate adjusted properly?
After these, it may be headed for a rebuild.

From appearance they seem to be solid. I could maybe play with the plate a little more, but it's been messed with in the past to no avail.

Eep. Well, she will be dismantled to do body/paint next year.. may as well look into that.

Gear oil was the usual stuff, I want to say 90? Not synthetic - and this issue is a decade old, I changed the oil 2 miles ago.
68 Square
74 T4 Square
73 Ghia

And now I've got that 68 Squareback.. back!

I may have a habit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Still grinding second even with new bushing and coupler. Reply with quote

The front mount can look okay, but still allow the front to tilt up when you accelerate. Try lifting it with a scissor or floor jack and see if it moves.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Still grinding second even with new bushing and coupler. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

needs to be GL4. but if the trans is done then it's done
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Still grinding second even with new bushing and coupler. Reply with quote

2nd gear Syncro probably.
1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Still grinding second even with new bushing and coupler. Reply with quote

make sure you are not trying to select reverse (is the plate installed and adjusted correctly?)

make sure that the clutch is disengaging and not dragging

if the above checks out, but it still grinds but you are to downshift by double declutching then the syncro is out
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: