Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How the car is "set up" and top speed/mileage
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: How the car is "set up" and top speed/mileage Reply with quote

Since I've gotten my '73 running, I've had the doors off and top frame removed. (I only have a frame, the top was rotted away long ago. I'll get a top eventually.)

I can run it up to about 55 and it'll keep that speed pretty well. Anything over that, and it is a crap shoot depending on if there is wind or a hill. Mileage attempting to keep highway speeds is around 15-seemingly too low.

What I've been wondering about is if my current setup is just very inefficient. IE, I'm creating a parachute behind me with the top and doors off.

So I guess what I'm wondering is if putting the doors back on and getting a top will improve my top speed and fuel mileage, or if I need to worry more about the engine's condition?

I've had the thought of wearing my motorcycle helmet and putting the windshield down for less drag...

Several years ago, I did do an experiment with with a VW Cabriolet I had. I had to drive 3 hours to a location, and turn around an come back a little later that day. I found that I got nearly the same MPGs with the top and windows up and A/C on as I did with the top and windows down. (It was within less than a half a mile per gallon difference, which I considered to be well within the range of error for my little experiment.)

Has anyone done any similar experiments with their Thing?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd and 4th gears are more geared like a bus. I don't think you can do anything that will significantly increase top end on a stock setup. If you are going to be spending a lot of time on the freeways you could opt for a "freeway flyer" at your next tranny rebuild.

I tend to avoid freeways and take lesser backroads. I find the scenery much better and the journey much more pleasant.

I once had my 181 do 75MPH but that was because I was towing it behind my motorhome. Laughing
ernieballbass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i havent done extensive research, but it seems like my car is more stable/cuts through the air better with the top up and windows up...er...on.

My engine temperature seems to increase when the top is down.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semper_Dad wrote:
3rd and 4th gears are more geared like a bus. I don't think you can do anything that will significantly increase top end on a stock setup. If you are going to be spending a lot of time on the freeways you could opt for a "freeway flyer" at your next tranny rebuild.

I tend to avoid freeways and take lesser backroads. I find the scenery much better and the journey much more pleasant.

I once had my 181 do 75MPH but that was because I was towing it behind my motorhome. Laughing

I know the Thing gearing is a bit shorter to get more torque. That's why I figured that 65 on the 2-lane shouldn't be too rough... 1-3 seem OK usually but 4 is when it really seems to struggle.

My '73 Bus with 2.0 can do 70+ all day long and will get the same mileage doing it.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schwankster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that 55-60 mph is a comfortable speed for my stock Thing. It'll go as high as 65-70 in the right conditions (flat or downhill, no headwind, light load, etc), but that is really pushing it. If I keep the pedal to the floor I can maintain 65+, but in the Texas heat it'll start to overheat if I keep that pace for too long. I usually drive with the windows off and a bikini top on (on the Thing - I usually wear a T-shirt!). I've never checked the MPG, so I have no idea what mine is.

I've found that I just get in the mindset of being one of the slowest vehicles on the highway, and enjoy the scenery and scents that go with the open-air Thing. You don't realize how much you miss when you are enclosed in a climate controlled car! When I'm in my "regular" vehicle I've got the windows up, A/C on high, radio blasting, and I'm always in the fast lane exceeding the speed limit. When I'm in my Thing, I'm fine with no A/C, no radio, and slow cruisin' is the normal pace. Something about the Thing transforms me into a completely different driver.
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I truly enjoy driving my Thing as much as my 78 911sc. Totally different feel of course but jeez it's fun.
I am always shifting and third seems to be my friend.
Maybe having the 1835 is making life a little easier, but it still needs downshifting on any decent hills.
No top other than a bikini, but I do have the doors on.
I think the bikini helps with air flow.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the doors back on and replaced the (possibly original) spark plug wires. On my drive today, it held 65 much more easily. I'm pretty sure the spark plug wires made the biggest difference there, though.

Once a week, I work in a satellite office about an hour away. The drive is on a 2-lane fairly scenic highway. Before buying the Thing, I always imagined it would be great to do the drive in a Thing.

I don't really mind going a bit slower, but what bothers(ed) me is that I had no other choice! The other thing is when I come up in the morning each week, I'm a bit rushed to make it from one meeting in one town to a meeting in the other. On the way home, it is much more relaxed.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
cecil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple years ago, a bunch of us did some testing and found out that you get better mileage and cooling with the top up. Check history of this forum. A Super Beetle transmission gets you the 3.88 gearing for 70 mph freeway speeds. QED!
sirswank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with 225/75/15s in the rear, a ghia trans and a 1641, I can maintain 75mph on a flat highway (measured by GPS). I do need to downshift for long or steep grades, but don't we all? this is with doors on, windshield up, top off.
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I think my 73 Thing with a stock 1600 does better on the freeway than my 75 beetle with a stock fuel injected 1600. I've gotten both up to 75mph. I like the lower 4th gear of the Thing better.
fccperdiem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '73 gets 24mpg under a wide range of conditions. If I drive with a constant eye on the vacuum gauge, I might squeak out an extra mpg. In fact, I have to flog it pretty hard for a full tank to see a measurable mpg drop. I have a 2017cc with stock gearing. Hardtop on or off, windows in or out hasn't made much difference in my case. I do realize that I'm in the minority...
207-242-0016
www.beardfiremetalworks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IHC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had mine up to 103 mph, paced on I 5 about 10 years ago. Still had throttle left but the top bowed up like an umbrella on a windy day. Was afraid of ripping the top off. Year later got a radar speeding ticket on a fairly steep uphill grade . Clocked me at 75 mph. My motor was built to 1900 some cc by the original owner in 73 and have dual weber 44 on it. Gas milage is lousy ,averaging about 12. To 14 mpg. My 3/4 ton pickup gets better milage.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my Thing must have Beetle gearing, it is quite happy at 65-70mph. It will still pull the 6%+ grade near my home at 50-55mph and seems to get about the same gas mileage as my previous Thing with stock gearing did when driven at around 60.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much got low 20's in stock configuration and with the now-gone hardtop installed. Windows on and off with every tank full so I can't differentiate the effects. I have gone through exactly one tank of gas since selling the top.

I just put a deposit on having a 2110cc built, and I need to order a "freeway flier" in the next 2-3 weeks for simultaneous installation. It should be ready for me when I can drive a stick again, or my wife or daughter will have to enjoy its rechristening if I'm not ready.

Soft top is going on soon. Bimini top (bikini top if you prefer the misnomer) will wait until next spring. Hopefully, I will be able to give some reports with increased driving under various conditions.
BlissBignall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: How the car is "set up" and top speed/mileage Reply with quote

It's been a couple years since anyone updated, but...why not?

When I got my 74 Thing (1776 with dual Solex carbs), I was getting horrendous (9-11mpg) mileage. After getting the carbs rebuilt, with smaller jets (as small as I could get), I just got what appears to be about 23 mpg. I'll take that!

I only live about 1/2 a mile from my work, so that and staying on my side of town is all my Thing driving. The fastest I've ever had it was about 65 on the highway one time, but it didn't like that very much. Now, I rarely go above 45, which is just fine. I have other vehicles for going fast/long distance.
1974 Thing....Daily driver on sunny days
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How the car is "set up" and top speed/mileage Reply with quote

I noticed that when I first got my THING it had a 009 dizzy and a pict 31 carb on it, well it was slow as crap but got decent mileage.
maybe in the 23-25 range.

Since some time passed I bumped it to a pict 34 and a svda type dizy,
in doing this I may have lost some mileage but I seem to have WAY more power than I ever did before.

It's helped with driving that and realizing I was missing the front sway bar, just these two fixes changed the THING's driving experience big time!

My happy speeds are 45 - 60, it'll do 65-70 but not for long trips, gets hairy at hi speeds!

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: How the car is "set up" and top speed/mileage Reply with quote

With a 4.125 final drive ratio and 25.8" diameter tires, my engine runs at about 3700 RPM at 70. For me, cruising at about 67-68 (3500 RPM) is a comfortable speed.
Like Semper_Dad, I do prefer the side roads; just more interesting. I drove from Detroit to KTE near Dayton, OH on US 129; a very nice drive. Drove home on I-75 because it was pouring down rain (top up Ron).

There is no question that at high speed, load on the engine is greatly reduced with the top up and windows installed, but what fun is that? CHT will be noticeably lower with the top up, but oil temp is pretty constant for any given RPM.

My fuel mileage is about 22 MPG up to ~ 65, then drops off to about 20 at faster cruising speed. This is with an 1800 cc (74x88) engine with CIS fuel injection.

Back in the '70's, 22 MPG was considered to be good.
I am about to turn in two TDI cars (due to the scandal) and lose about 17 MPG by replacing those cars with the gasoline powered equivalents. Sad

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: How the car is "set up" and top speed/mileage Reply with quote

All of my driving is local, 10 to 20 miles round trip at most, between 35 and 45 MPH. The few times I have gone on the highway, 55 MPH has been about my 'average' speed due to the traffic. As for MPG, I am guessing about 20 for my 1973 VW Thing, I have a stock engine and transmissions, and drive with the roof up and the windows off. If time permits, I am hoping to make a highway drive to Hermann, MO, that will be a good test for what I can achieve for top highway speed, taking backroads the remainder of the way.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: How the car is "set up" and top speed/mileage Reply with quote

I thought the Thing trans all had .89 final drive?
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
I pretty much got low 20's in stock configuration and with the now-gone hardtop installed. Windows on and off with every tank full so I can't differentiate the effects. I have gone through exactly one tank of gas since selling the top.

I just put a deposit on having a 2110cc built, and I need to order a "freeway flier" in the next 2-3 weeks for simultaneous installation. It should be ready for me when I can drive a stick again, or my wife or daughter will have to enjoy its rechristening if I'm not ready.

Soft top is going on soon. Bimini top (bikini top if you prefer the misnomer) will wait until next spring. Hopefully, I will be able to give some reports with increased driving under various conditions.

I have had the 2110 for nearly a year but a second (unrelated) surgery has kept me from needing a fill-up more often than once every 1-4 months. The soft top is on; the Bimini top is still in its carton; I'm just starting to drive a stick again.

Bashr52 wrote:
I thought the Thing trans all had .89 final drive?

According to this link, the final gear is 0.93 and the differential is 4.125 for US-destined Things. (My tranny was changed when my engine was rebuilt and the displacement enlarged.)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: