Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Picked up a much nicer privvy tent for the Westy, I think it deserves it. Very Happy

Original to the bus:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tasty upgrade:

It went up perfectly, not shrunk and brittle like the original. I actually need to tighten up the canopy poles with this tent since it's not shrunk. The colors are nice and the material is still strong. The leather straps are really nice and soft still too. There's some minor fading on the canopy and some stains I will try to clean, but only a few tiny repairs needed:

The only difference between this tent and the bus' original tent are the cut-outs for the rack. Original has them, this one doesn't. I think the cut-outs are a later thing? Anyway, i'm super stoked to have this tent!
squareweave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Looks great
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Dang! Someone is laying out the cheddar.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

squareweave wrote:
Looks great

srfndoc wrote:
Dang! Someone is laying out the cheddar.

Thanks! I had to sell the sea blue Westy to fund the flipseat..

I gathered most of the interior pieces for the pop-top before I passed it to a local vw buddy. Reality hits and I could not really afford to keep them both, so one had to go. I couldn't bring myself to sell the Alabama Camper.

I should have been finished with the cabinet work by now, but have had some health issues that have slowed me down recently. Just had a ct scan of my head/sinuses yesterday so hopefully get some answers soon.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the health issues, hope things go well.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
Sorry to hear about the health issues, hope things go well.

Thank you Todd, me too. Hopefully see you at OCTO Saturday, I should be there in the Alabama Camper.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

I will be three bright and early parking buses. See you Saturday.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

I would like to hear some opinions on where to draw the line on some things. The cut wheel wells have been bothering me since I brought this beast home. I already have the metal to replace them, and plan to do so at some point along with paint blending. Driver's rear corner and engine hatch will be re- worked/blended at that point too.

So this brings me to the nose of the bus:

It was re-painted long ago due to some very minor rock dings around the passenger side headlight. At this point in time, a lot of the paint is severely checked and easily flakes off to bare metal:

I revealed some of the original paint near the bottom of the v and around the headlight, but most of it flakes completely off. The nose was well sanded at the time of the repair with a da sander:

The paint on the driver's side is in better shape:

So my question is: Should it be left alone, or should I strip it all and repaint it in correct Velvet Green with Blue-White over it. It would need to have some fade through the white like the roof to match the rest of the bus. Overall I don't mind how it looks currently, but would love to hear your opinions about this. One other note, this bus lives in a very arid climate and will always stay indoors unless it is being used so I'm not concerned with it rusting away. What do you all think?
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

If it was mine and I lived in the desert it wouldn't bother me at all.
I'd focus on making it a runner first, if you run out of things to do you can revisit this Smile
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

GTV wrote:
I'd focus on making it a runner first, if you run out of things to do you can revisit this Smile

Thanks, I hear you on the runner part. I'm waiting for the engine to be completed and it should be on the road fairly soon. The cabinet work has been taking longer than planned, but i'm still making progress. I should be done with the last of the cabinet stripping tonight. Very Happy Woo Hoo!!
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
GTV wrote:

Thanks, I hear you on the runner part. I'm waiting for the engine to be completed and it should be on the road fairly soon. The cabinet work has been taking longer than planned, but i'm still making progress. I should be done with the last of the cabinet stripping tonight. Very Happy Woo Hoo!!

Excellent!
A 64-65 flipseat is my ultimate split. You've been doing a superb job. I'm super jealous!
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

I would run it as is unless it really bothers you. To me its just less things to worry about and gives it character.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

You have a ton of work to do. I would come back to the nose last.
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd leave the nose alone for now - it's got a lot of character.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Z wrote:
Yeah, I'd leave the nose alone for now - it's got a lot of character.
The nose has a good look, even with the old re-spray.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
mg6770
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

I'd say leave the nose, paint, and blending for last. It looks good as is and adds great character. The world is in no hurry for another painted bus.
Phil 4:13
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Thank you all for the input! I have plenty of work to do still with the cabinets, mechanical work etc. I'm ok with how the nose looks, but the wheel well hackage does bug me a bit Laughing . I'm trying to stick to finishing one area at a time, and getting the interior back together first is my main goal. I really don't like having all the parts out of the bus for too long, I have about 50 zip-lock bags with labels for every little interior bracket, screws and such. The metal repair and paint blending is at the bottom of the list for sure, just wanted some opinions. Thanks again!
Huetti_1989
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

What a nice car Shocked
-Christian
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=757182
My 1954 Deutsche Bundespost Barndoor:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=621802
My 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westfalia:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=716285
My 1991 Westfalia California:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=650751
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

mg6770 wrote:
I'd say leave the nose, paint, and blending for last. It looks good as is and adds great character. The world is in no hurry for another painted bus.

Maurice laying down the words of wisdom. This is my new mantra!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Side tent is sick. Love it.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 28

Jump to: