Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Very Early VW Radio for Bus?
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Wowabunga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Very Early VW Radio for Bus? Reply with quote

Unable to find any model numbers. Just a long list of numbers looks like a serial number. Thanks in advance for any productive directions.

Buttons read 1 2 3 4 5 M

Since this has a face plate it's got to be OEM something. Made by Motarola.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Very Early VW Radio for Bus? Reply with quote

I have never seen this radio myself.

If you are asking if it's a standard VW Bus radio then No, not to my knowledge.

Could it have been installed in a Bus?
Sure, anything can be installed.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wowabunga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Very Early VW Radio for Bus? Reply with quote

Thanks EverettB... I have radio part numbers for just about every radio made in the past 60 years... not having a part number does slow me down. I'll open the case many times there'll be a paper tag inside.

Have to assume with the "M" middle band that this was in a foreign car maybe a early Audi or BMW. Motorola made a lot of radios for imports OEM installs I've been told.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Very Early VW Radio for Bus? Reply with quote

I did a search and found these 2 radios on eBay.

Buttons are similar to yours so maybe the models #s listed below will help you find yours with some more Google searching?

vintage car radio Motorola 64c72276
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222203647137

vintage car radio motorola 64c-73106
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222203652920
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Very Early VW Radio for Bus? Reply with quote

Didn't most "original" radios fit the hole properly? I feel like it would be unlikely that a dealer would be cutting big chunks of dash on a new car to shoe-horn that in when there were alternatives that fit correctly. Anything's possible, but whats more probable?
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Very Early VW Radio for Bus? Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Didn't most "original" radios fit the hole properly? I feel like it would be unlikely that a dealer would be cutting big chunks of dash on a new car to shoe-horn that in when there were alternatives that fit correctly. Anything's possible, but whats more probable?

this radio wouldn't fit the holes to my 58 bus

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Very Early VW Radio for Bus? Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:

Generally Yes for Split Buses in regards to the center square hole, although some had faceplates to fill gaps.

For the 2 tuning post holes the Sapphire radios, and maybe others, required you to open up the holes a bit.
Wowabunga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Very Early VW Radio for Bus? Reply with quote

Hiding behind the face plate was the model number stamp. 1949 Studebaker radio. Sorry to "bug" you Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: