Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia help in The Long Beach, Ca Area
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RideSallyRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Ghia help in The Long Beach, Ca Area Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm new the Fourm and can't search anything properly. Can you guys recommend a shop to me around the Long Beach, Ca (90807) or give me the link if there is a listing of shops in my area. The best I did was a Google search and went to the first 3 hits and was impressed at the knowledge and services provided, but reviews say otherwise on all of them.

Background: the shop I have been going to for the last 4 years have been great, but now it seems my Ghia breaks down more frequently and longer due to financial and time restraints. The car is my daily driver.

PS I am not mechanically inclined and work nonstop with kids and a wife who thinks I should just sell.

Last edited by RideSallyRide on Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
lhwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia help! Reply with quote

All the things you describe are normal for a car that 40+ years old. If ,those things that you describe (MC, Rear drums,Alternator and starter) are not things that were replaced by you in the four years that you owned the car it is easy to assume that they have never been replaced before and that they are in fact some of the most reliable parts the auto industry has ever known as they waited 40+ years to wear / break!

the crux of the matter is....you own an old car that needs attention to bring to a "daily driver" status and also, a car that will need constant maintenance. Just the nature of the beast.

don't sell it, you'll be sorry if you do.

Buy a Bentley for your car, get some tools, and start with small things that you can do yourself, graduate when experience permits.

Best of Luck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia help in The Long Beach, Ca Area Reply with quote

maybe you should honestly consider selling as you have a family and can use a more practical car, I say this only because you don't work on it yourself and shops tend to take advantage of people like that, bread and butter..
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia help in The Long Beach, Ca Area Reply with quote

^
Agreed.

To the OP, you should either learn how to do more of the ongoing maintenance and repairs yourself or sell the car to someone who is willing to do so. Paying a mechanic $100/hour will make you poor in a hurry.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia help in The Long Beach, Ca Area Reply with quote

Pretty much agree with all the above. Last time I used a ghia as a daily...well that was a long time ago. The point is it worked but I spent M-F driving and maintenance at least a couple weekends a month. They are not maintenance free cars. In lieu of the Bentley I would recommend Muirs Idiot Book. Much much easier for a novice to understand and use. Using it I pulled my motor the 4th day of VW ownership with a small ratchet kit, a bottle jack and several of my dads standard tools. Embarassed Keep the ghia and find a beater Honda or Toyota for a daily.
Im not in the LB area but im pretty sure there are several shops for you that are fairly local. I have never taken my car to a shop to work on so I cant recommend anyone directly. Shops I know of and strictly from word of mouth... I would call Dutchers Speed Shop in Bellflower, Bill and Steves in Downey, they are a parts shop but could probably give you a recc. Russ at Old Speed in Paramount.
In the ghia forum responses require a pic of your ghia. You already have several responses...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia help in The Long Beach, Ca Area Reply with quote

Try
Jacks Auto Repair. 428-4968
Westcoast VW Repair. 438-6156
YELP gives them both 41/2 stars (out of 5) for old VW work.
RideSallyRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia help in The Long Beach, Ca Area Reply with quote

Thanks for the wisdom and feedback. Will definitely get some proper tools and start doing the maintenance myself.
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia help in The Long Beach, Ca Area Reply with quote

RideSallyRide wrote:
Thanks for the wisdom and feedback. Will definitely get some proper tools and start doing the maintenance myself.

good to hear.... these lawnmower engines are super easy to keep up and will last like a toyota... all the basics are pretty easy just take your time and get to know your car, you'll be happy you did..
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia help in The Long Beach, Ca Area Reply with quote

RideSallyRide wrote:

PS I am not mechanically inclined and work nonstop with kids and a wife who thinks I should just sell.

Quote:
In lieu of the Bentley I would recommend Muirs Idiot Book. Much much easier for a novice to understand and use

This is so true.I believe every new VW owner needs to read this book. When i got my first Vw Bus 28 years ago, I had no clue what even a socket was.........It wasn't long before i met a Vdub old timer who gave me an old copy of the Idiot guide. I set out to learn every procedure . because Muir made it sound not only easy but fun! forever changed my perception about fixing things myself . I've had VW's for daily drivers since that time. Now with the internet and forums like this, information and quality parts are just a click away . Get your kids involved and make it a family hobby working on the Ghia on sundays
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia help in The Long Beach, Ca Area Reply with quote

An old car is not for everyone.

Unless you do a complete body off restoration with everything replaced to new you will have at least some problems from time to time. It may not start, it could break down, etc.

If you want a car that runs and is as dependable as a new car you either need to buy a new one or rebuild what you have to new.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia help in The Long Beach, Ca Area Reply with quote

RideSallyRide wrote:

Hi and WELCOME. If you're going to make this commitment possibly I can be of help. There are a few clubs that are in the area and some have Technical Saturday's where members with more experience will tutor/mentor other less knowledgeable members.
There are a number of shops within your area. Some are, and in no particular order:
Al's VW Shop, Downey, 323-559-6297
Free Lance Motors, Long Beach, 562-630-1155
Gold Mine, Whittier, 562-693-0419
Joe Koskey, Whittier, Crazy Joe's Euro Cars
Billy Manley, Long Beach, 909-534-3972 (Anything Volkswagen here on thesamba.
While I cant personally vouch for there work, these are some options.
You're welcome to PM me for any other questions, Bill.
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia help in The Long Beach, Ca Area Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Try
Jacks Auto Repair. 428-4968
Westcoast VW Repair. 438-6156
YELP gives them both 41/2 stars (out of 5) for old VW work.

Jim's not Jack's. Heard good things about them for both ACVW and modern cars. Long time family business is always nice to support.

Had a free inspection done at Westcoast VW and they rubbed me the wrong way. But in their defense it was free! Small shop which has its pros and cons.

I am in the LB area too so please share your experience wherever you end up going. I have 4 cars averaging 120k miles and 25 years old and I haven't settled on a mechanic yet!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: