Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First Time I Ever Pulled an Engine Out
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: First Time I Ever Pulled an Engine Out Reply with quote

Well I have been stranded around town a half a dozen times lately. Decided it was time to switch out the rust gas tank for a new from Wolfsburg West. I had never pulled an engine before and..... I did it! Only one error in the process. Forgot to unhook the wires from the coil and they ripped apart at a butt junction in the strand where they come together. I think I can fix that with the new wires I ordered. It took me all day to do this but I was pleased that I did it all by myself. Between looking on the forum, the books, and you tube it was not too bad at all. I was very nervous about this. Managed to get the gas tank out too. The bolts for the tank straps were very tough to work on. I got one off but the other one...the strap pretzeled on me and broke.

Any ideas on how to fix that? I was thinking about using the metal strips they use to hold down hot water tanks. Looks to be about the same kind of material.

Gas tank was full of rust no wonder I couldn't get anywhere.

Preparing to install the tank next. I have the rubber filler tube. The sender is good. I have new gaskets. I have the little outlet pipe with all the right gaskets and tank filter screen.

Any suggestion would be great for the tank install.

Now that the engine is out I was planning on cleaning it up. Any suggestions on other things I should do while the engine is out?

Besides the two rusty bolts on the tank straps I had a lot of fun doing this so far!

I got a 500 pound lift table from amazon. 170 bucks. But that was a very nice tool to have when lifting the engine out. Strong and stable and it has nice caster wheels to roll the engine around on. It lifts up to a height of 36 inches.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time I Ever Pulled an Engine Out Reply with quote

Congratulations!, next time will be even easier.

I strongly recommend doing the sender modification, even if yours works now it may not next week or next year: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=629435&highlight=sender+repair

The tank straps can be repaired by pop riveting a strip of metal over the break.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time I Ever Pulled an Engine Out Reply with quote

If you go to the FAQ, there are a ton of threads on things to do when your engine is out. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=165001
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time I Ever Pulled an Engine Out Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Congratulations!, next time will be even easier.

I strongly recommend doing the sender modification, even if yours works now it may not next week or next year: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=629435&highlight=sender+repair

The tank straps can be repaired by pop riveting a strip of metal over the break.

Appreciate the suggestions. I would have never dreamed of messing with the sender. That repair is something I can do thanks to the terrific pictures and directions.
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time I Ever Pulled an Engine Out Reply with quote

kooper271 wrote:
If you go to the FAQ, there are a ton of threads on things to do when your engine is out. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=165001

Oh my! That is just what I was hoping for. Thanks for sending my way.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time I Ever Pulled an Engine Out Reply with quote

Fuel hoses, vent lines, and fuel filler boots and neck.
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time I Ever Pulled an Engine Out Reply with quote

[quote="busdaddy"]Congratulations!, next time will be even easier.

Busdaddy I followed those fuel sender directions. The silver cylinder had about a 1/4 inch of fine rust particles at the bottom. So glad I found that. I cleaned up the brass so that it is all shiny. That was a delicate job for sure. Elected to not solder and do the mods. It looked really good, connections were clean and good, and it never gave me trouble before. Tomorrow I fix the straps and the gas tank should be squared away. On to making a list for that engine and other things too. That was great suggestion that I could have easily skipped over and still have rust clogging things up for me.
avoll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: First Time I Ever Pulled an Engine Out Reply with quote

I just did the same thing last spring, except I restored my old tank.

Defiantly, Gage your sender if you buy a new one, and replace all the fuel/air lines.
Also use high end clamps that won't damage your fuel lines.
Don't miss the one behind the spare tire.

I went ahead and wire wheeled/cleaned the engine bay, and shoot some rustolem engine spray paint in there, and it looked great.

replace the rubber filler neck and ellbow if needed why your at it.
Try to clean and reuse the og clamps if you can.

Also if the underside is rusty, its a great tine to clean up the under side and por-15 all the rust. Stuff you normally can't get to why the engine is in.

Cover your transmission with garbage bag or something to keep junk from getting in it.
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time I Ever Pulled an Engine Out Reply with quote

I finished! I did a lot of work.
put it all back together and it started. I do have sparks from the crank pullet scraping the pullry tin. I think I can dosome bending to get the clearance. trouble is I broke my arm Twisted Evil cant drive no fair fell off a bike iguess ican look at it for 3 weeks
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time I Ever Pulled an Engine Out Reply with quote

Are you running a big oil pump?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: First Time I Ever Pulled an Engine Out Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

no I pulled the lower pulley tin off by bending I didn't realize you hadto take out the crank pulley to do that right so when I put back in I got to bend back every except the very bottom that is where the scrapes and sparks are coming from
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: First Time I Ever Pulled an Engine Out Reply with quote

Colonel Mosby wrote:
aeromech wrote:

no I pulled the lower pulley tin off by bending I didn't realize you hadto take out the crank pulley to do that right so when I put back in I got to bend back every except the very bottom that is where the scrapes and sparks are coming from

Bummer. Do you think you can straighten it?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: