Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

replacement panels
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: replacement panels Reply with quote

First question
Who you guys like for replacement metal, body, pans, heater channels.

Second question
Not a welder but I've been wanting to learn. Is taking the body off frame and starting with the pans too much of a task for a noob? I figured by the time I get to the body work portion I should have improved.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: replacement panels Reply with quote

You are in the same boat I am. I say go for it.
- Remove the body and set it on a dolly.
- Get a spot weld cutter and remove the floors. The harbor freight one works great, is cheap, and can be sourced locally.
- get a welder. Buy one that will last and can be serviced. Name brands are a good starting point. It does not need to be an "uber welder," a Hobart Handler 140 or similar (110VAC MIG/Flux) will do body and pan work just fine. DON"T go Flux Core wire for the body work, gas will get you cleaner welds and it is not as hot as Flux core. (NOTE: Welder advice is based on the research I have done for my own build. I have absolutely no welding experience.)
- after removing the floors and stripping all the parts you need to keep (jack points, seat belt nut plates, brake stop nut plate and seat rails,) use the floor metal to practice your butt, lap, and plug welds.
- The most important tool you have at you disposal is a positive, can do attitude. It's just metal, cut it up and practice until you are comfortable enough to tackle the real job. (Shameless plug: Look in the stickies for a measured pan drawing when you get ready to relace the floors.)
- The second most important tool at your disposal is YOUR creativity and the creativity you borrow from those who have been there and done that.

I have no experience to draw upon when it comes to replacement metal. Others will be along shortly with valuable information.

Good luck, and keep us posted; we're all in this together.

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: replacement panels Reply with quote

eastwood 135 mig is an excellent body work welder and runs on common household current... and is under $300 shipped...
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: replacement panels Reply with quote

I bought a HTP 15 years ago, use it occasionally, and it has never quit on me.
http://www.usaweld.com/
heavy and overbuilt, but rock solid if you need higher duty cycles.
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: replacement panels Reply with quote

@evil_fiz, thanks man. i really appreciate your post. I'm working my way through the Bug Me videos.

Some back story. Bought the car in may (also have a great working bus btw) as a new project. Got it running (fuel issues). Had a mechanic who I completely trust and helped me with my bus take a look at it. He called me back and said he would strongly advise getting out from under it and moving on to less of a project. I really do value his opinion though. So now I'm weighing, do what I planned and go body off and do it right. Put lipstick on the pig, sell it and find less of a welding project, find a decent replacement pan/body and transfer all the mechanicals. Honestly I'm still convinced I can do this if I view it as a 1-2 year project, take my time and do it right. I have a neighbor up the street who has a really nice home shop and has done frame up welding many many times. I just need to get some buy in that he's willing to help first.

Anyway... before we turn this thread into a different topic, I was hoping to find out who makes decent replacement metal so I can do some pricing and figure out what frame off "might" cost me. Also interesting, anyone here make their own replacement metal? What gauge? I realize there will be other rust I don't yet see that I have to go deal with. Thanks guys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: replacement panels Reply with quote

Karmann Ghia Parts and Restoration KGPR http://www.karmannghia.com/ and CIP1 http://cip1.com/ appear to be popular choices. House of Ghia and the Sambe classifieds are options as well. For budgeting purposes KGPR and CIP1 will get in the ballpark with pretty good seats.

A search for threads dealing with the replacement of a given part will usually yield some opinions and advice on where to get "that" particular piece and hpw best to deal with the installation. Not having replaced any metal yet I have no experience on which to base any advice.

mfemenel wrote:
...Honestly I'm still convinced I can do this if I view it as a 1-2 year project, take my time and do it right. I have a neighbor up the street who has a really nice home shop and has done frame up welding many many times. I just need to get some buy in that he's willing to help first.
I gave myself 5 Yrs. to finish the project because I don't know what I have yet to learn. I toiled with the similar decision, do the build based on my original plan (More $ and time) or go stock restoration (less $ and time.) I eventually settled on my original plan. If the car is not your daily driver, who cares how long it takes or how many mistakes you make, as long as you are willing to absorb the cost of said mistakes. When the car is finished and you look back at the project you will have the satisfaction of having surmounted adversity and inexperience and achieved a personal goal.

Advice on The Samba is free and free flowing, use it to your advantage. One day it will be you helping others.

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: replacement panels Reply with quote

OP a lot of guys make their own replacement pieces and use 18-20 ga... some buy it from Lowe's and source remnants from metal shops...

disclosure:: I do not own an eastwood but merely recommended it as a cheaper option, from my research I find it will be sufficient to get the job done for us diy automotive hobbiest...

I have also been looking locally for a small metal break just in case I need it, since I've owned my ghia I have seen many threads where the car looked good from the outside thend when they dug into discovered all kinds of madness, places where there are no stamped replacement parts...
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: replacement panels Reply with quote

Just curious what you guys think about this. I was wondering if I might be better off taking a car like this and moving my mechanicals over to it. Cheaper than new sheet metal and pans. I see a couple of spots on this one, but overall solid. Owner also sent me a video of the pans & heater channels and it looks pretty good. Pans are new, heater channels look solid. We haven't talked price yet, he's about 5 hours away which is going to kill a Saturday, but isn't too bad. I'd be moving what I can from 71 into 68. Just a roller. My motor and tranny are good though.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: replacement panels Reply with quote

The rockers look like they have rust holes in them so there is a fair chance the heater channels are rusted as well...
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: replacement panels Reply with quote

That's a good call, I'm getting a closer shot of the rockers. It's a little too far out to zoom in and get good detail on them. This is 5 hours away so I'm trying to see as much as I can before I drive there.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: replacement panels Reply with quote

From someone who's built a few cars, you can burn up 10 hours cutting and welding very easy. IF the car you're looking at is much better, go for it. Just keep in mind 71s are IRS, 68s are swingaxle.

brad
cool karmann collected
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: replacement panels Reply with quote

That 68 looks like a mixed bag, I see missing jack points and a big hole in what looks like fibreglass over the RHR quarter panel. It doesn't look to have any accident damage but experience tells me that by the time rust pin-holes appear in the outer rocker skin, the heater channels are long gone already.

I like the smaller lights of the >69 cars but honestly having driven IRS I wouldn't trade them for swing axle suspension.

Can you show us pics of the 71? we need to see how scary it is to give you the 'best' advice.

Staying power is the biggest problem with projects like this. Time,money and enthusiasm can drain away as the months (years) drag on. Depends on what motivates you personally, if it's the enjoyment of doing the work and you don't mind when it gets done then great. If, like me, you find not being able to drive it for a long time incredibly frustrating then maybe seek out a more solid example to start with if your budget stretches that far.

Ant
Stephen Risi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: replacement panels Reply with quote

Evening, I used this guy and he was great. Use google translate though from English to German. Good luck

http://www.wagner-blechteile.de/produkte.html#
Mini Coop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: replacement panels Reply with quote

Stephen Risi wrote:
Evening, I used this guy and he was great. Use google translate though from English to German. Good luck

http://www.wagner-blechteile.de/produkte.html#

thanks for this address!
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: replacement panels Reply with quote

Finally got a chance to get some shots of what I'm now calling "the turd". In addition to what you see here, I got 2 opinions on the engine noise I'm having and both think connecting rod. The cheap coil overs on the rear are the only thing holding up the rear end, that's shot. The tires are too big and rear too low due to sag that the rear tires are rubbing on the body. It was an auto stick, has been coverted to manual. Original oil pump is still on there but the 2 extra oil outlets have hoses plugged with a screw. On the driver side there is not much of a heater channel left, it's got a piece of iron drilled and bolted to the body. There are no seat tracks, the seat is bolted to the floor. The floor pans appear to have been laid over what was left of the old floor pan and deck screws used to hold them down. They're also starting to go. The front has been repaired/replaced at some point. There is literally pinholes of daylight around the driver side headlight bucket. I now present a photo montage of "the turd"

[/img]

Last edited by mfemenel on Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: replacement panels Reply with quote

Notice the rust coming up into the A pillar and under the dash.

kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: replacement panels Reply with quote

Yeah. When you dig you will find more. Have seen my build thread? I had that much rust and more. It may not be worth it to you but it's all repairable.
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: replacement panels Reply with quote

oh and the front beam is rusted out and has already been repaired. I have a good one in my shed waiting to be used. Either path I choose, a ghia body is coming off a pan. Just have to figure out which makes more sense as far as time and $$$.
buckyten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: replacement panels Reply with quote

whpa!! so what kind of stereo?!!! lol
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: replacement panels Reply with quote

That is one of the worst ghia's I've seen. The work that has been done has all been done to avoid and mask rather than repair anything. I've never seen a dash placed over the top of another one before. Question, What do they call tossing that 71 body into the ocean? Answer, a good start. The 68 has way less issues.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: