Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone else running this crazy gear ratio
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Anyone else running this crazy gear ratio Reply with quote

So, when I purchased my bug, I was told it was re-geared (freeway flyer) is what the guy said.

I expected a 4.12/.82 or a 3.88/.89 combo, but didn't dig too much into it...

I started to research and work with 'calculators' to figure the RPM/Speed with each of the two gear settings above, and neither matched my RPM/Tire combo. So I started looking for some answers.

Long story short...

I finally figured out, I am running an OLD SKOOL 4.37 RP + 0.82 4th.

I have never seen that combo. Ultimately, it lands my 4th just 100 RPM lower than a stock 4.12/.89 combo. So basically... not what I expected.

I was just curious if anyone else has this combo.

Thanks in advance!
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else running this crazy gear ratio Reply with quote

I have. Don't remember what it came out of, old bus I think. Keyed 4th gear .82 ratio. If memory serves, it also had a K 4.37

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else running this crazy gear ratio Reply with quote

I remember telling you a while back "Freeway Flyer" means nothing.

Nothing odd about it. You have a early Bus transaxle that came with reduction boxes. They removed the RB's and flipped the ring & pinion gear to run in a Bug. It has all the weak parts inside. I would not be dumping the clutch doing drag race starts or smoky burnouts.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else running this crazy gear ratio Reply with quote

That's a old school freeway fryer ya got there!
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else running this crazy gear ratio Reply with quote

modok wrote:
That's a old school freeway fryer ya got there!

Odd. Knowing that it's an old bus tranny at least makes it a bit clearer. But goodness me. What an odd combination. Should I invest in a new tranny? I'd love to run a 3.88/.89 combo.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else running this crazy gear ratio Reply with quote

yeah, I don't lie the WIDE spacing either, but, somebody out there proably thinks it's great. well, i was gonna say blow it up but actually you should probably sell it Laughing
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else running this crazy gear ratio Reply with quote

Looking at the marketplace, it appears they build them with 4.37 options. Mine is rebuilt and looks just like this including the chrome side plate.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1136784
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else running this crazy gear ratio Reply with quote

It most likely has a 1.21 3rd as well. If you go with a stock later 1.26 3rd/.89 4th, it will have a little less of a rpm drop than the 1.21/.82.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else running this crazy gear ratio Reply with quote

I had my type 1 irs built with 4.37, 1.48 third, and .89 fourth so I can carve the country roads and not get run over on the interstate.
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else running this crazy gear ratio Reply with quote

Someone may have built it for a glass buggy or Baja. The 4.37 is perfect if you have tires Just a little larger than stock. You wouldn't use 4th off-road with a mild motor, but in the lighter buggy wouldn't notice the wide 3-4 transition on the street so much.

I'm kinda partial to the 4.37 Trannys, but I'm not a street guy and like big tires.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else running this crazy gear ratio Reply with quote

I did my Cal Look street car (late '70's and early '80's) with a 4.375 and 1.48/1.12 gears. With a 6500rpm 1750 it ran mid 14's and was GREAT on the street. Sucked on the highway though...but boy was it fun in town! Twisted Evil
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else running this crazy gear ratio Reply with quote

hey alb that was a freeway frier trans you had..... Cool
to the op 100 rpm drop on the highway probably makes mpg and dosent load a small motor as bad as a 300rpm drop. but if you dont have the motor to pull the 100 drop..it's useless for the most part.
croSSeduP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else running this crazy gear ratio Reply with quote

I hate the term "freeway flyer". It's an ad gimmick, and probably not a very good idea. A true "freeway flyer" would have a 3.88 R&P and a .82 4th gear. That's really high gearing for a VW aircooled engine. The ideal is to keep the engine in the RPM range where it makes the best torque at freeway speeds. That way it isn't working as hard as it would, i.e., lugging it, with a higher 4th gear ratio. Lugging it = heat. Heat kills ACVW engines. Also, would probably worsen your freeway gas mileage. Contrary to what seems to be popular opinion, higher freeway rpm does not always = worse gas mileage on the freeway, and lower rpm does not always = better gas mileage on the freeway. My experience with these old ACVW's is that Volkswagen knew what they were doing. Have you ever asked yourself why, when they went to a 3.88 R&P, they also went to a lower 4th gear ratio, .92?
rearenddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else running this crazy gear ratio Reply with quote

I have the 3.88 and a taller 4th gear as well...
Just under 1500rpm drop with each gear change...
But the FIAT uses 13 inch rims and only weighs in at 1250 lbs..

Still too much rpm drop though...motor can pull it in thos car but i have to run up a little higher than i like some times before a gear change..2500 ish...

Can get annoying if im trying to be stealthy...
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else running this crazy gear ratio Reply with quote

I run a 3.44 with 1.26 third and .82 fourth.
But I run big motors in a 850lb vehicle.
Bottom line.....if the gearing works gor you.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else running this crazy gear ratio Reply with quote

DeathBySnuSnu wrote:
But I run big motors in a 850lb vehicle.

And you also have a huge aerodynamic advantage by not having a large flat windshield to push through the airstream.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else running this crazy gear ratio Reply with quote

I have a 3.88/.82 freeway flyer in my 57. Works fine for me, but I also have the hp to make it work and that same gearbox in my buggy was a blast. Haven't had a problem with overheating on hour long trips. I also have 26" tires in the back of both cars.

brad
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else running this crazy gear ratio Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
I have a 3.88/.82 freeway flyer in my 57. Works fine for me, but I also have the hp to make it work and that same gearbox in my buggy was a blast. Haven't had a problem with overheating on hour long trips. I also have 26" tires in the back of both cars.

brad
and I thought 4.12 / .82 was tall... 3.88 / .82 is TALL.

I just have a 1915 putting out about 100hp. Don't think I could pull 3.88 / .82 with that configuration. But slap a .89 and I could prolly run that all day long.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else running this crazy gear ratio Reply with quote

I've also borrowed and run a 3.44/.82 gearbox. It made a huge difference in the first 3 gears and I was running 115 mph when shifting into 4th. That was for racing only though and the motor I had at the time would not pull that 4th gear very well, only gained 3mph in 1/2 mile.

Would be interesting to try that R/P and stock gear stack.

brad
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else running this crazy gear ratio Reply with quote

I think Glenn uses an .82 as a 5th gear with a 3.88. I would think the torque peak of the engine, and desired cruising speed would come into effect. I have a 1.41/.93 combo that originally was installed for 1/8 mile runs. Once I started running 1/4, I would be really ringing the engine to make it through the 1/4 in 3rd with a short 24.5 tire. It was all bracket, so I started short shifting to keep the rpms down, so I could drive the car home. The torque peak on the engine was around 3800 if I recal, and 1-3 would all be up shifted past that, but the 4th shift dipped below that. It was quite noticeable that the engine had to pull itself back up. If you have a high strung engine that has a high rpm torque peak, if you are cruising below that, I would think the engine would always be working. On the other hand, if you had a mild stroker with a small cam that had a lower peak, cruising at/above that rpm wouldn't have the engine working very hard. There's the torque itself also. Regardless of cruising rpm, an engine with 70 ft lbs. cruising at peak rpm isn't going to pull a tall gear. A huge stroker with 150 ft lbs. below its torque peak probably will.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: