Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Late Mexican Motors or other FI Replacements?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanPorges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Late Mexican Motors or other FI Replacements? Reply with quote

I have finally reached the point in my 77 SB's life that the motor must be dealt with. I am intermittently running on 3 or even 2 cylinders, oil is coming out of the front, back, sides etc. I need to either rebuild, replace, or otherwise make a change.
Let me put this right out there now to avoid the backlash, I am NOT loyal to keeping this car original or keeping the stock Fuel Injection so Carbs are certainly an option for me. The car was resto-modded over its life so no value in keeping the stock Bosch system.
I am open to keeping it a 1600 or bumping up a little, but not really interested in a big bore motor unless there is a justifiable reason beyond power...though I do have access to a 2110 fully built by Dana Johnson for about $4k.
Is it worth considering a newer Mexican Beetle motor swap for a later FI System?
I am not 100% sure my motor is rebuildable, there is a bit of end play in the crank and I dont have much history on it other than that it is the original matching number motor (again, not an important value driver for me)
Suggestions?
hobbybob517
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Late Mexican Motors or other FI Replacements? Reply with quote

Rebuild your current engine, with the stock FI,
Should be cheap enough to do.

3 million rpm? Well there's your problem! No wonder it blew up!
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Late Mexican Motors or other FI Replacements? Reply with quote

Yeah what he said.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Late Mexican Motors or other FI Replacements? Reply with quote

If the stock F.I. system is still there and more or less doing its part of delivering fuel then the least expensive route will be to rebuild the stock engine. You may need a new case but there is nothing special about an F.I. case except the lack of a fuel pump. A block off plate would deal with that.

If you are very uncomfortable working around basic electronics then perhaps you would be better with a stock older carb motor, but you need to keep the F.I. cylinder tins as they are shaped differently at the body edge. However, nothing will run smoother than the stock F.I. system (desmogging it is optional.) No other heating system, aside from a gas heater, will make interior heat like the stock F.I. heating system.

If someone was bringing in late Mexican F.I. engines complete with all the electronics and fuel pump I would be tempted to buy one. It is a more refined system than the L-jetronic used on the late U.S. Bugs. The L-jet was a fine system and what I liked most about the '79 I owned.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Late Mexican Motors or other FI Replacements? Reply with quote

hobbybob517 wrote:
Rebuild your current engine, with the stock FI,
Should be cheap enough to do.

Agree with this path.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Late Mexican Motors or other FI Replacements? Reply with quote

Well, if a $4K custom 2110 is on the table ........ we can only assume that any budget for a new motor is not restrained. Be advised that one could buy 2 decent stock rebuilds from reputable jobbers w/ this kinda coin.
Building it yourself would also be a good route.
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Mexican Motors or other FI Replacements? Reply with quote

I also vote to rebuild the original engine. If you do decide to switch to carb make sure you take into account all the "little" things that need to be changed.
DanPorges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Late Mexican Motors or other FI Replacements? Reply with quote

I fully expected the "keep it stock" line from a number of people so i guess let me ask more specific questions....

I dont think the case is ok, though not 100% sure. I dont expect its the first time its been open and there is a LOT of end play I have now found. I talked to some local shops and they simply wont rebuild the FI motors at all (and these are very well known and reputable long time VW engine builders). Supposedly there are certain gaskets unavailable and two of them told me they dont like using liquids to or makeshift replacements for those seals. Thoughts? Any experience with this issue?

I am open to attempting a rebuild of this motor, but I feel like this may be something I am not quite prepared for time wise with a 20 month old and another on the way to distract me. While the old FI system seemed to be working, I am also finding a major piece of the most recent set of failures is coming from ethanol destroying a number of things...Tank, lines, injectors, etc. I would likely need to consider replacing or rebuilding a number of key components to the FI system, and again, most places I have talked to have told me this is not a given that such items will be available. Is this an issue others have dealt with?

I would not say budget is unlimited, but having access to that one motor built by arguably one of the best engine builders and VW racers in the country would certainly raise my willingness to pressure my wallet a bit....just dont want to waste the money as the car is still just a modded super beetle and not going to be my last VW.

Assuming i were to replace the motor with a long block, Is it impossible to get one that is FI ready? Would this force me into a carb only situation?

What does everyone think of Precision Engine in Murietta? How about Scat? Just looking for high quality builders with strong warranties if i go that route.
Thanks!
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Mexican Motors or other FI Replacements? Reply with quote

You could buy a regular stock rebuilt long block and assemble your fuel injection system on it. The fuel injection system is on top of the long block, the lower end is the same. The stock F.I. engine did have slightly smaller intake and exhaust valves (33mm by 30mm), but plenty have been rebuilt using duel port heads with the larger valves used in the carb engines. The only thing you need in the long block to use it for an F.I. engine is the head (3-4 side) needs to have the drilled and tapped hole for the temperature sensor. Many replacement heads have that provision and needing new heads is not uncommon when rebuilding a duel port Bug.

If you go with a complete aftermarket engine just be sure to keep your F.I. cylinder tins and I recommend your F.I. fan shroud too. The cylinder tins will be needed because the engine compartment is shaped wrong for the regular cylinder tins. The fan shroud is one of the best VW made and incorporates a venturi ring to improve air flow.
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Mexican Motors or other FI Replacements? Reply with quote

mexican digifant FI crate engines are NLA AFAIK. but I think Antonio Trejo still sells all the parts needed to make a digifant FI engine out of a long block with factory or OEM parts.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Late Mexican Motors or other FI Replacements? Reply with quote

DanPorges wrote:
... there are certain gaskets unavailable and two of them told me they dont like using liquids to or makeshift replacements for those seals.

Modern cars generally don't use gaskets between flanges any more. Sealants are all they use. If your two local mechanics can't make this step forward in technology, I wouldn't have much confidence in them.
A big gasket that is NLA is the one between the two halves of the intake manifold plenum. If you buy a sheet of proper Fel-Pro gasket material, you can trace out your own gasket and cut it with an xacto knife. Nothing wrong with that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: