Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

replacement positive baterry cable concerns
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: replacement positive baterry cable concerns Reply with quote

I ordered a replacement positive battery and I comparing it to my old one... well I just doesn't look right. The starter cable looks fine; but the only other cable cannot be what they intend to go to the regulator, it's maybe 12 gauge.

The cables from the generator are 8, or am I just crazy?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Does this shit seem wrong to anyone else?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: replacement positive baterry cable concerns Reply with quote

Hi. I don't recall what year car you had but believe it was a 12v car. My Bentley wiring shows the wire from the battery to the voltage regulator to be "6.0". And the same from the generator to the volt reg. Using this chart it looks as if that translates to a 10ga wire. Look this over.

http://www.wiringfordcc.com/wire_sizes.pdf

Not sure how accurate this is or if discrepancies exist with the conversion from metric to awg but as I recall many shops I worked at would use a 10ga wire for the generator D+, alternator B+, and the positive wire to the front of cars and buggies. Maybe 10ga wire is easier to find then 8ga wire. Your cars current demands may dictate different wire sizes.
Food for thought, on my '71 bus the wire from the battery to the fuse box is listed as a 6.0. That wire is probably 6' long! Resistance within a wire can increase with wire length.
Hope this helps, Bill.
That positive battery cable you show is suited for many domestic car setup's where the alternator stud is 2' away. I believe you can fab your own 10ga wire with soldered connections from the volt reg to the battery positive and be good to go, troop.
Agent47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: replacement positive baterry cable concerns Reply with quote

Sorry I forgot to include my car info Embarassed 73' std. The replacement had that what I believe is 12 gauge on it, the fat line to the starter is labeled as 6 AWG. Seeing that the used a crimp slice on a small line gave me pause. Especially since what is already in the car appears to be 8 or 10 gauge. But with a 30 amp generator I am not running an incredible amount of current so I would imaging it will be ok.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: replacement positive baterry cable concerns Reply with quote

Hi. That's ok. That short section of 12ga is probably ok. You can attach a 10ga wire to the voltage regulator via soldered connections, or run a 10ga wire with soldered connectors to the 5/16"(1/2" wrench head) bolt. Your current demands are probably minimal. Don't recall but you're two ground cables ok?
If specialty tools needed for one time many post's have a auto/hobby shop with a semi-cool tool crib. After retirement, I worked as a federal contractor for a shop here in Los Angeles. Nice Snap-On tool box and an equally nice tool crib.
Hope this helps, Bill.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: replacement positive baterry cable concerns Reply with quote

The original battery cables from the factory had brass battery clamps soldered right onto the cable. Those clamps outlast any replacement lead one if not over torqued down, and impossible for battery acid to get into the joint between the cable and clamp due to the solder.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=311971225C
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: