Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is there a special tool or a technique for this?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Is there a special tool or a technique for this? Reply with quote

I am having a difficult time trying to pull the spade connectors (with the wires attached) out of the harness plugs & sockets. I have tried a paper clip, a very tiny straight edge screwdriver & just wriggling them out, but no luck. I have a new main wire harness to install in my '74 Super so that is why I'm asking. So is there a special tool for pulling these out, or a different method that I haven't tried yet? Many thanks in advance!
Ken
2022 Subaru Outback Limited XT in crystal white pearl
2022 Subaru Outback Limited XT in cinnamon brown pearl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a special tool or a technique for this? Reply with quote

I use a stiff piece of hardened wire with a little bend at the end and a duct tape handle. Maybe there is an official tool but i just kinda made one. Push the wire forward into the back of the connector hard to get the little retaining tang away from the connector plastic the slip the wire over it to bend it down and it should then slide out fairly easily. It takes a little practice. It helps to have some junk ones to mess with first.

Good luck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a special tool or a technique for this? Reply with quote

They do make tool for removing spade and female connectors, but by far the best thing to use on the little tang, is the stainless steel flat metal found in most wiper blades. It happens to be the right width. You cut the metal about 3 inches long with or without a slight bend at the end. As for a handle, I use a old tooth bush handle and cut it down to 3 or 4 inches and drill a hole in the end and epoxy the wire into the hole. If you look closely to the plastic sockets you will see a slot to insert the tool. The yellow connectors you have to go end on the wire side. What you want to do is slide the tool over the tang and then pull the wire.
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a special tool or a technique for this? Reply with quote

If you are talking about the connectors on the fuse panel, I use some small needle nose pliers to grab the terminal and wiggle it loose. If you are talking about the crappy plastic barrel connectors found on every POS Detroit put out since forever, you have to push the two ends together tightly and the use a small screw driver or some such to depress the tang, and voila, off it comes. It can be a huge PITA, but if you are replacing the wiring harness I don't understand your extreme caution. Rip that old shit out, bend, break, wiggle, cut and be done wif it.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a special tool or a technique for this? Reply with quote

a small ground down screw driver works wonders but there is probably a special tool out there somewhere.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a special tool or a technique for this? Reply with quote

Laughing The special tool had a grey handle that acted like a slap hammer in miniature and drove a small metal flat stock into the connector from the front.

anybody remember what that was called? any way after I let it be borrowed- I used a jewlers/eyeglass screw driver- sometimes rotating side to side- (like a knife in the mother in laws back Embarassed Embarassed ) but I digress- the screwdriver was good for resetting the tang for the next installation.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a special tool or a technique for this? Reply with quote

IIRC one came in the BOSCH fuel injection repair kit
Grey handle stirs up memories
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a special tool or a technique for this? Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
IIRC one came in the BOSCH fuel injection repair kit
Grey handle stirs up memories

Think it did come in a box full of ever kind of end and a crimp too.

Don't step in any!
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a special tool or a technique for this? Reply with quote

I found this tool & my local auto parts store can get it; hopefully it will work on the older VW's we all have:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lisle-56500-Terminal-Tool-...1970863763
Called a terminal release tool; any of you tried this one?
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a special tool or a technique for this? Reply with quote

And if I do end up damaging the male/female spade connectors (both the real small ones & normal sized) can I get replacements? It looks like pulling the ones from where the relays are in my '74 Super are going to be the toughest ones to pull. Thanks so much for all of your help so far!
Ken
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a special tool or a technique for this? Reply with quote

Junkyardjockey wrote:
I found this tool & my local auto parts store can get it; hopefully it will work on the older VW's we all have:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lisle-56500-Terminal-Tool-...1970863763
Called a terminal release tool; any of you tried this one?

I've had that tool and didn't like it as "pilot error" was pretty easy and we were doing a lot of round pins and the thin tubes broke on me.

Don't step in any!
RealThing74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a special tool or a technique for this? Reply with quote

Here is the tool I use to get connectors out of harness plugs & sockets.. I have had it for years and do not remember where I got it.
It is about 2 inches tip to tip.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

73 Standard Beetle that we tow behind our Motorhome & use for sightseeing.
Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a special tool or a technique for this? Reply with quote

There is a better version of the Lisle tool.

It has 2 tools with more end pieces for removing electrical treminals.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: