Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Am I the only one?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I the only one? Reply with quote

HippyTom wrote:
The one that REALLY gets me is when I have my Herbie replica at a car show and someone asks

"Have you ever seen the movie?"

I've started having fun with it. Now I say, "Movie? What movie?"

I don't go anywhere without a fedora. Inevitably, I get Indiana Jones comments. When they are rude in nature, as opposed to complimetary, I say, 'Who's that?' That's usually enough to end the conversation. haha
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Am I the only one? Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
HippyTom wrote:
The one that REALLY gets me is when I have my Herbie replica at a car show and someone asks

I've started having fun with it. Now I say, "Movie? What movie?"

I don't go anywhere without a fedora. Inevitably, I get Indiana Jones comments. When they are rude in nature, as opposed to complimetary, I say, 'Who's that?' That's usually enough to end the conversation. haha

Since I was a kid I've heard my Dad say he was wearing a "Go-to-hell hat." I asked what that was and he said, "If somebody doesn't like it, they can go to hell." If someone says something negative, tell them it's your "go-to-hell hat." They'll figure it out.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Am I the only one? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Tell them to F#$@ OFF, it was designed by Porsche.

At gunpoint... it's not like Hitler just rang him up with the idea and Porsche said "sure sounds pretty cool."

Were it not for Hitler, the car would not exist period.

So they are correct.

Who cares.

Not exactly true. In fact, not true, at all. Dr. Porsche had plans for an Auto für Jedermann way before he ever met Hitler, as did a lot of other car manufacturers at the time (check out Porsche's designs for the Type 12 and Type 32 that he did for Zündapp and NSU). And the economy was so bad in Germany at the beginning of the 1930's, when Hitler "rang him up" in '34 and said, "Hey, I want a propaganda piece to drum up money for my massive re-armament scheme and I've embezzled millions of reichsmarks from DAF coffers to invest in the project. I'm thinking about calling it 'the people's car'. How does that sound to you?" you can be sure the first words that came out of Porsche's mouth were, "sure, sounds pretty cool." Hell, Porsche was so hard up for cash at that point, the devil himself could have offered him a job and he would have taken it, which I guess is not really all that far off from what did happen.

As far as I'm concerned, Hitler was little more than a just majority shareholder in the history of the VW - the man with the cash. The air-cooled, rear-engine layout had already been created by Tatra, and the streamlined, beetle-esque shape of the car was already in Porsche's head, as evidenced by his earlier designs, so I don't see how Hitler can get much credit for that. If anything, the VW is a British car. Major Ivan Hirst and the British Army played a much bigger role than Hitler ever did for putting the humble VW into actual production.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Am I the only one? Reply with quote

HippyTom wrote:

I know what Herbie cars are, but haven't seen any of the films. I heard they were somewhat silly. Any hot gals in them ?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
New2me69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I the only one? Reply with quote

HippyTom wrote:
I know what Herbie cars are, but haven't seen any of the films. I heard they were somewhat silly. Any hot gals in them ?

Pffff....

No way. I really struggle to believe that one. Maybe you really are way too cool to have ever sat through the entire film but there is no way you haven't seen at least parts of it of your years on this planet. Come on.....seriously?

You see parts of it in commercials even or flashbacks to old Disney films and what not.

Yeah the movies are ridiculous but my kids love them and when I was a kid, I freakin' wanted that car bad.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I the only one? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
New2me69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Am I the only one? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

LOL

Clearly I've missed something. Haha
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I the only one? Reply with quote

Quote:

Chick Hearn was in the original movie. Wink
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I the only one? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
HippyTom wrote:

What a shame I'd start with the 1968 original staring dean jones, buddy Hackett and Suzanne pleshette. Skip the others and go to Herbie reloaded with Lindsey lohan before the drinking and dope made her look old. Nice rack I think that would get your attention. Hell even Suzanne back in 68 was looking kinda sporty, probably both are cheap on Netflix.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I the only one? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Cusser wrote:
HippyTom wrote:

What a shame I'd start with the 1968 original staring dean jones, buddy Hackett and Suzanne pleshette. Skip the others and go to Herbie reloaded with Lindsey lohan before the drinking and dope made her look old. Nice rack I think that would get your attention. Hell even Suzanne back in 68 was looking kinda sporty, probably both are cheap on Netflix.

Which one? Lindsey or Suzanne? I'll take one of each please!
Really 1968 for the original release? Man I was 8yo Shocked
The movies were silly fun. Let what's left of your hair down and enjoy a Disney Classic.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I the only one? Reply with quote

The Love Bug released on March 13, 1969. Not 1968.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Am I the only one? Reply with quote

I don't mind. He helped, but so did thousands of others. It is one of the better examples of a whole branch of the evolution of automobiles which started long ago, a branch that is more or less dead today, but even so represents the work and thoughts of thousands, and should not be forgotten just yet IMO.

Hitler's major requirements were it be "like a tatra" and have modular chassis/body so that different bodies could be fitted. Pretty good ideas Wink
kirk1015
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Am I the only one? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Cusser wrote:
HippyTom wrote:

Just to clarify, that was Michelle Lee (Knots Landing) in the first film. Not Suzanne Pleshette.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: