Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel pump Maintenence questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Fuel pump Maintenence questions Reply with quote

What if anything are you folks doing periodically to see if your fuelbpump is OK. Is there anything that your go ng to look for internal leaks? Or is this something that would make itself known.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump Maintenence questions Reply with quote

It usually is obvious when it lets go, either externally or on the dipstick. If you are curious lift it a little and confirm it's still packed with grease underneath.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
rutzpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump Maintenence questions Reply with quote

Saw a youtube video said make sure the rod moves freely in the stand. Especially when the engine is good and hot.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump Maintenence questions Reply with quote

What is the best option at this point? Rebuild or new? What are you folks doing? Any good rebuild kits or is a new pump the best bet?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump Maintenence questions Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
What is the best option at this point? Rebuild or new? What are you folks doing? Any good rebuild kits or is a new pump the best bet?

I just rebuilt my Pierburg 1970 fuel pump last week, with a rebuild kit from Wolfsburg West. The process went smoothly, but most likely I won't be trying this out until my engine is finished in a few months. It's just not worth the effort to me to swap this into my 1971 "just to see" if it's working fine, I've got other stuff to do.

That stated: a new fuel pump costs about the same as that rebuild kit. If I was buying a new one, I'd likely buy a Bocar fuel pump, because they have e-clips on the horizontal pivot pin. I wouldn't buy a fuel pump that didn't have such clips on that pivot. Advertisers like CB Performance show the Bocar.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297

Last edited by Cusser on Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump Maintenence questions Reply with quote

I think the last time I had a pump fail was in the 1980s.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump Maintenence questions Reply with quote

I have a pierburg original on mine. Not sure if it was ever rebuilt or replaced.
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump Maintenence questions Reply with quote

A lot of people complain that the rebuilt kits currently on the market are not of very good quality especially with respect to the "fit" of the rubber diaphrams and they leak. I can't confirm if that is true as I have not used the after market kits and don't intend too. Luckily I found a good supply of original German manufactured original VW boxed fuel pump rebuild kits from Germany. They are still available but you have to be prepared to scan Ebay.de on a regular basis as they don't come up that often.

I have a few NOS pumps are and have found the diaphrams are like new even after 30 or more years.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump Maintenence questions Reply with quote

I bought a nice alternator-style Brosol pump from Wolfgang International. It has the c-clip on the pivot shaft. While running, i tested the pressure, which was a little under 3 lbs. No stacking of gaskets required.

The only issue I had was my own fault. I packed the underside with grease. Later, grease came out the weep hole. Turns out, you should only grease the tongue where it meets the rod--not stuff it all up in there Rolling Eyes .

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump Maintenence questions Reply with quote

The only maint I can think of is to apply fresh grease to the underside of the pump where the lever is.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump Maintenence questions Reply with quote

The older pumps had a cone shaped filter which required periodic cleaning .
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump Maintenence questions Reply with quote

Thanks guys!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump Maintenence questions Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If it's a Pierburg like this picture, as mentioned, check the cone fuel filter. I'm not aware of any decent, currently sold Pierburg fuel pump repair kits. The ones Wolfsburg West sold have issues. They included the main diaphragm spring being too stiff which caused excess fuel pressure. All the steel replacement parts where shoddy, cheap and didn't fit. The shaft that the main diaphragm and spring sit on was also a bit short which made pre-loading the diaphragm difficult and contributed to the excess fuel pump pressure.

I saw Cussers post where he rebuilt his original Pierburg pump. The kit looked like it may have been a newer version than the last one I bought a couple of years ago. I called WW and was told it was the same kit from the same manufacturer in Brazil. So, Cusser needs to check his fuel pressure when he get's his engine running if the pump works.

The only rebuild kits I've used that worked rebuilding the square top Pierburg fuel pumps were the NOS kits made in Mexico that are NLA, the rebuild kit VW sold in a VW box back in the day and the Effbe kits.

These NOS fuel pump repair kits do pop up for sale occasionally. The prices have gone up for them as well. It seems $50 up is the going price. I recently saw 2 original VW repair kits and grabbed them.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump Maintenence questions Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I saw Cussers post where he rebuilt his original Pierburg pump. The kit looked like it may have been a newer version than the last one I bought a couple of years ago. I called WW and was told it was the same kit from the same manufacturer in Brazil.

The write up in March 2012 shows the WW fuel pump rebuild kit not having the parts included with mine http://www.hotvws.com/content.php?contentID=45http...p?t=501703

Since my rebuild kit from WW included these parts detailed NOT to be included in the 2012 rebuild kit, I cannot agree if WW says the kit is the same from the same manufacturer.

wcfvw69 wrote:
So, Cusser needs to check his fuel pressure when he gets his engine running if the pump works.

That's not a bad idea Bill. I'll need to see if I even have such a gauge for that. I see Harbor Freight has one listed for $16 (less 20% discount) http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-pump-and-vacuum-tester-62637.html , it's rated very well.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump Maintenence questions Reply with quote

Cusser, since you've worked on your bug for a while, do you own a vacuum gauge? Most old school gauges have vacuum and fuel pressure built in.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump Maintenence questions Reply with quote

Cusser, I found it odd too. I called WW about something else on the phone. I then asked them about this kit. Sean said this fuel pump repair kit is from the same manufacture they've been buying them from since 2002 in Brazil.

I agree that the kit you bought Cusser has new parts in it that the kit didn't have a couple of years ago. Maybe WW isn't being honest about this. I know they received many angry emails/phone calls a couple of years ago about that kit that they were selling then. Many people with LOTS of experience couldn't make that kit work for the reasons I stated in my other post yet they continued to sell it.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump Maintenence questions Reply with quote

My last question on this thread is what would you folks use if yoir current pump bit the bullet? Thanks for all the suggestions this far.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump Maintenence questions Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Cusser, since you've worked on your bug for a while, do you own a vacuum gauge? Most old school gauges have vacuum and fuel pressure built in.

No - I don't have a vacuum gauge; I just have the vacuum-only gauge on my hand vacuum pump.

Frodge wrote:
My last question on this thread is what would you folks use if your current pump bit the bullet?

My own plan is that if the pump I just rebuilt doesn't work, then I will simply buy the Brosol pump with the clips on the horizontal pivot pin.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump Maintenence questions Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I think the last time I had a pump fail was in the 1980s.

What do you attribute this to?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump Maintenence questions Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

No - I don't have a vacuum gauge; I just have the vacuum-only gauge on my hand vacuum pump.

Actually, I picked up a pressure/vacuum tester from Harbor Freight last week. The plastic "tee" fitting broke the first time I pulled fuel hose off of it, and the zero needle is a little off zero, possibly important for the under 4 psi range we want, so think I'll swap it for a new unit. I got a stronger nylon tee from Ace Hardware.

Frodge wrote:
My last question on this thread is what would you folks use if yoir current pump bit the bullet? Thanks for all the suggestions this far.

I'd buy this Bocar pump, has clips on the pivot rod, and would be OK if I ever went alternator. http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/113-127-025b.htm?CartID=2 It needs the shorter 100mm length pushrod. Disregard what I posted earlier about Brosal, as don't think those have clips.

As to fuel pump failures: in the mid-1970s I had a factory clamp come loose off my fuel pump outlet on my 1970 and spilled gas, luckily no fire. My failures with the pump itself have always been leakage due to rubber diaphragms getting old and hard.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: