Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Automatic Stick Shift.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Stick Shift. Reply with quote

montex01 wrote:
Does the Three Speed tranny have it's own fluid seperate from the torque converter ATF? If so How do you change that fluid? Is the replacement at 75w-140w?

Thank you so much.

Yep, the 3-speed tranny itself uses 80-90w hypoid oil.

Drain plug should be up front on the underside of the tranny, however I have seen some autostick trannies that had no drain plug, in this case you simply drain it by removing the drain pan.

Fill plug is on the left side of the transmission just above the left frame fork

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
montex01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Stick Shift. Reply with quote

WOW! You are the best! I'm very excited and Very Happy Thank you so much.

John
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Stick Shift. Reply with quote

I paid too much $3000.

And, from somebody in the Midwest I can say that good autostick vehicles are rare because of previous conversions.

I think scarcity has too have locality thrown in, otherwise it doesn't mean much.

Yours probably has less rust on it than mine. Before you decide to go super beetle, might check in with whatever vw club in savannah you can find, somebody from there may be able to point you to an autostick expert near that locality.

Good luck, with whatever you do, and good luck in school!

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Stick Shift. Reply with quote

10yo thread....

-jeffrey
johnjhazel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Stick Shift. Reply with quote

I dare say that autosticks are rare NOW. Not much of a selection out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fatdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Stick Shift. Reply with quote

There is separate gear oil in the tranny, the ATF is just for tge torque converter. The autos I've had required you to drop the plate on bottom of the trans to drain but I've read that some models have a drain plug. Make sure to use a hypoid gear oil for transaxles.
johnjhazel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Stick Shift. Reply with quote

Using counts from this site, for all states, for the model years that autosticks were sold, 1968-1976, autosticks account for only 3%. And about half of that 3% are beyond my help. I declare autosticks rare. LOL.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jcdavis081
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Stick Shift. Reply with quote

Currently resurrecting my wife's garage kept 71 super beetle that is an autostick.......so maybe one more in the mix makes them not so rare:). But I also don't have it running yet so don't count it as one yet!

I want to make sure I'm correct on this.....If I siphon out the ATF oil that I can get to from the engine compartment fill cap. Will I be getting oil from the transmission or the torque converter?

Once this oil is out what exactly should I be replacing it with.

Just think the guy that started this thread is out of college by now and by some of his original comments he should be a director for the last two or three years!
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Stick Shift. Reply with quote

jcdavis081 wrote:
Currently resurrecting my wife's garage kept 71 super beetle that is an autostick.......so maybe one more in the mix makes them not so rare:). But I also don't have it running yet so don't count it as one yet!

I want to make sure I'm correct on this.....If I siphon out the ATF oil that I can get to from the engine compartment fill cap. Will I be getting oil from the transmission or the torque converter?

Once this oil is out what exactly should I be replacing it with.

Welcome to the autostick world!

Yes the fill pipe you see in the engine bay is just for ATF for the torque converter. And yes, you can siphon the fluid out that way, but it is MUCH easier (and probably a more complete drain) to undo the flex line underneath the tank and drain it that way (see my photo earlier in this thread.)

You can use any Dexron III compatible ATF fluid.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
randydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Stick Shift. Reply with quote

what is rare is to find a ass with it's butt welded in germany during the first and same time year the ass arrived in america with I.R.S. and had a better ass than it (356) lol!
Alikhoso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Stick Shift. Reply with quote

Is this possible to switch/convert car with manual transmission into autostick shift? What website would help me in doing it?
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Stick Shift. Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=124538

A search brought up this topic. I hope it helps. Most people won’t approach the subject as if it were a sacred thing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: