Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Garage Squad
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

I remember a automotive votech shop teacher removing a dist out of a V8 with a 3' crowbar.... and somebody else at the same school trying to prime the oil pump with a air hammer instead of a drill.....now thats reality tv."morons at thier best"... and the local morons.....omg
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

I'd let Edd China work on my car any day of the week. I think he is the only legitimate mechanic on any of these shows.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
I'd let Edd China work on my car any day of the week. I think he is the only legitimate mechanic on any of these shows.

Wayne Carmalini's(Chasing Classic Cars) mechanic is legit too.
And He's a certified VW nut too Cool I'd let him work on a stock VW any time. Just sayin.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
rcroane wrote:

And He's a certified VW nut too Cool I'd let him work on a stock VW any time. Just sayin.

Wayne Carini
Very Happy
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

Agree on Wayne Carini's mechanic, but I think it would take him 3 days to do a tune up!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

His mechanic (Roger) held a SuperVee track record or something like that back in the day, too, didn't he?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
rcroane wrote:

Wayne Carini
Very Happy

Whatever! Wayne is still a panty stain! Shocked

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
rcroane wrote:

Rodger can build a Carrera 4 cam engine so i'm sure he can do a Type 1 in his sleep.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
Agree on Wayne Carini's mechanic, but I think it would take him 3 days to do a tune up!

Being fast is over rated. Remember you drive a Air Cooled VW.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
His mechanic (Roger) held a SuperVee track record or something like that back in the day, too, didn't he?

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2016/07/27/roger-and-me

According to this article, he did win Formula Vee championships.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
bladerunner80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

Have you seen the episode of Garage Squad where they fix up the 356....now that made me cringe! It aired a month or so ago.

Regarding Roger, Wayne's mechanic....I think they should a show around him, he's one of the best parts!
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

bladerunner80 wrote:
Have you seen the episode of Garage Squad where they fix up the 356....now that made me cringe! It aired a month or so ago.

Yes, and how Bruno something-or-other kept referring to the "Porsh 5 wide" wheels and so on? The other guys kept busting on him, reiterating that the marque is a guy's name, which is pronounced "pore-shuh." Half of 'em were mispronouncing it during the show. Bruno also threw that "5 wide" EMPI repop onto the Super in nasty ham-handed fashion, troubled by the fact that there were no studs protruding for him to hang the wheel on. Uh-ohhh, I must sound like an elitist...I'd swear, I'm nottttt!

For what it's worth, I think the most talented crew out there without any fake TV drama is found on Restoration Garage.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

Most of the automotive rebuild/restoration shows are such crap.

The ones that I watch, because I think there is some actual talent there, as well as good personalities, are:

Chasing Classic Cars
Fantomworks
Graveyard Carz
Bitchin' Rides
Wheeler Dealers (although I can't stand Mike Brewer. He is in the running, and out front, for the Most Obnoxious Person on TV award). Edd China makes the whole show work for me.

I generally prefer shows where people aren't arguing, begun by the Tuttle clowns.

All Girls Garage makes me wanna vomit.

The original subject of this thread, Garbage Squad (oops, did I say that? haha), inspires no confidence in me whatsoever. They may or may not know what they're doing, but that's how I feel.

Mucho talent on Overhaulin' but the host, Chris Jacobs (?) is almost as bad as Mike Brewer, but with an American accent. Smug, smug, smug. And take off that hat.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
Most of the automotive rebuild/restoration shows are such crap.

The ones that I watch, because I think there is some actual talent there, as well as good personalities, are:

Chasing Classic Cars
Fantomworks
Graveyard Carz
Bitchin' Rides
Wheeler Dealers (although I can't stand Mike Brewer. He is in the running, and out front, for the Most Obnoxious Person on TV award). Edd China makes the whole show work for me.
Mucho talent on Overhaulin' but the host, Chris Jacobs (?) is almost as bad as Mike Brewer, but with an American accent. Smug, smug, smug. And take off that hat.
I like that whole list of shows, but more specifically CCC, Graveyard Cars(I like the mopars), and wheeler dealers is probably my favorite. The earlier episodes are better though, now they've got huge budgets and it doesn't seem normal. I think Ed genuinely loves VWs though. I like their '60 gulf blue euro standard.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

I saw a bunch of Garage Squads yesterday. Now that I've watched a bunch of them together, I think that they actually do know what they are doing.

Everyone makes mistakes, but they get the job done.
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
I saw a bunch of Garage Squads yesterday. Now that I've watched a bunch of them together, I think that they actually do know what they are doing.

Except for the woman that is on the show as a token and doesn't do anything lol. Someone mentioned Graveyard cars, That guy has a lot of knowledge about Mopars but just acts way too cocky and stupid for my tastes.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

Eh - I like Gas Monkey Garage (F & L)
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
KnoxBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

I actually miss American Hot Rod. Except listening to Duane's pissing and moaning and blue bears annoying "I'm fat and stupid so i can get away with anything" persona.
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

I've never been a professional mechanic but have always been a gearhead who maintains his own cars, of which I have owned just about every kind in the last 40 years, so my experience, while perhaps not very deep, is pretty broad.

With that in mind, when I watch any of these car repair/refurb/remodel shows, I will see gaps in the story telling, such as a recent show I watched where several experienced mechanics clustered around the front of a car, mystified as to why the crate motor ran like crap. After spending 10 mins of air time trying other stuff, they did a compression check that indicated a required tear down. Bent valve.

Now anybody taking a paycheck for working on a car wouldn't spend half a day looking for the source of a problem like that without doing a compression check first...that is, unless the paycheck was coming from the television production company rather than the shop they were working for.

My point is that I'm not always sure the folks producing these programs really know what they are being told by the guys who are (or who play at being) mechanics, so it isn't too likely they would pick out a basic error like that.

Oh, we aren't likely the target audience anyway.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

wythac wrote:
I've never been a professional mechanic but have always been a gearhead who maintains his own cars, of which I have owned just about every kind in the last 40 years, so my experience, while perhaps not very deep, is pretty broad.

With that in mind, when I watch any of these car repair/refurb/remodel shows, I will see gaps in the story telling, such as a recent show I watched where several experienced mechanics clustered around the front of a car, mystified as to why the crate motor ran like crap. After spending 10 mins of air time trying other stuff, they did a compression check that indicated a required tear down. Bent valve.

Now anybody taking a paycheck for working on a car wouldn't spend half a day looking for the source of a problem like that without doing a compression check first...that is, unless the paycheck was coming from the television production company rather than the shop they were working for.

My point is that I'm not always sure the folks producing these programs really know what they are being told by the guys who are (or who play at being) mechanics, so it isn't too likely they would pick out a basic error like that.

Oh, we aren't likely the target audience anyway.

I'm often called in to diagnose when the real everyday "professional mechanics" (not the TV ones) can't solve a problem, assumption is a MoFo and many assume since it's new or freshly built things like that just can't happen and never even consider it. After they've all spent a day + on something I come in with a fresh set of eyes and usually solve it in minutes. Yes the TV stuff is over dramatized, but it happens regularly in real life too, there's stupid people, or ones who don't use all of thier brains everywhere.

Many of those guys on the shows have no idea how stuff works, they are just good at opening boxes and bolting things on.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: