Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

removing door hinge pins
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notsnarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link didn't work for [img]me try here of search keyword 'hinge'
Item #31139

Looks interesting and reasonably priced. I did mine start of the year with heat, air chisel and a tube to prevent any deformation of the hinge. Wish i seen this or the $180 tool here on Samba.
Anybody tried the Eastwood tool?[/img]
FrankRam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

52 year old hinge removed - Ah can seee !
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ajbsd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Success!! Reply with quote

I finally got the door hinge pin out on my 67 bus. It didn't have a right rear view mirror and it being a camper with a closet and curtins, I wanted one! Anyway, I used the "C" clamp tool method described in a few post earlier by bajadave66 but with a few mods. I first bought a 5" C clamp and a 14mm deep socket from Harbor Freight, brazed the socket to the flat end, removed the swivel piece and tapered the shank to fit up into the hinge. Although it seemed like a good idea, the tool soon bent out of shape and broke after a few minutes of torqing on the pin (cheap China crap). So, I have an old school C clamp from my dad's era, made in the good ole USA, and decided to adapt it for my pin pusher tool. This worked great! I made a collar from 1" round stock, drilled a 9/16" hole in the center to use as the guide for the pin to ride up into. On the flat end of the C clamp I placed a short 1/4" diameter bolt simmilar to bajadave66's although I didin't weld the bolt to the flat end of the C clamp because after the pin broke loose, I needed to change the bolt out for a longer one. After soaking the pin with WD and PB for a few days, I applied my tool and after a few turns the pin broke loose. It did sound like a friggin gun going off and after I put the longer bolt (shank) in there it completely broke free (along with another loud bang)! My mirrors are used originals, not sure from what year but they fit in the hinges well with out any slop as mentioned in some other posts on this subject. So, if you need to see what the tool looks like I can take a few photos and post them. Good luck with your projects fellas and see you again on the Samba!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FrankRam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Pin buster Reply with quote

Yah, Great Job. Go ahead and take a picture and definitely post it. I will try to do the same ...
ajbsd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I will take a few photos in the next day or so and post. In making this tool, easy as it was, I do have access to a shop with a lathe, mill, press, lift, etc. so it's a breaze to work on my projects. I used the lathe to drill the center of the collar piece which made it nice and straight. Anyway, give me a day or so and I'll post the photos. Thanks to all the great info from this thread and the people on this site. It's a great resource and I value the opinions and information immensely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ajbsd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Door Hinge Pin Pusher Tool! Reply with quote

Simple C clamp (old and sturdy), collar and bolts
ajbsd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Hinge Pin Pusher Tool! Reply with quote

Not the greatest photo but shown with part in line.
NZ67Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought the $180 tool - should be here in a few days - will let you know how I get on with the hinge pins on my Australian 67 Beetle Smile
lashl1951
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: removing door hinge pins Reply with quote

ok guys here's the scoop on removing door pins on a bug.. You DON'T need special tools.. I have a '63 bug and wanted to put a mirror on the passenger side ( I'm a retired truck driver so mirrors are vert important to me ). I bought the new pin and a mirror and showed my son what needed to be done. He is a machinist and welder. He laughed at me when I told him that I needed to buy an expensive tool to do the job.. Keep in mind that my bug never had a mirror there and the pin was in there since 1963 and painted over. Here it is, put a 1" long hex head bolt in the bottom hole of the hinge, just make sure it smaller then the pin. Put a 9/16 socket on the top hinge over the pin. Take a 6" C clamp and put the top on the socket and the bottom on the bolt head. Turn it until you can't and then take a 1 ft. piece of pipe and turn the clamp until the pin "pops". Now change your bolt length and your socket depth until your pin is in your hand. That's it ! . In 10 minutes we had it out and the new one in. To put the new one in put a nut on the top threads of the pin and use the C clamp to squeeze it in. That's all there is to it guys really !.. No scratches, no damage to the car. Try it !!!!!!
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: removing door hinge pins Reply with quote

That's a great idea. I will try it this Saturday.
Hokie87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: removing door hinge pins Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
That's a great idea. I will try it this Saturday.

Please take pictures. I tried to visualize this but can't.
5cott5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: removing door hinge pins Reply with quote

The picture of the C clamp above is basically what lashl1951 is talking about. You would then change the length of the bolt and depth of the socket.
MMW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: removing door hinge pins Reply with quote

If you use the c-clamp method it is advisable to protect the paint in the event that the c-clamp were to slip off. It can just pop off without warning if mis-aligned & you will have no way to stop it. Better to take some precautions than to have a big chip or scratch to look at.
Update - third pc. found!
Now just need the case halves.
1965 fenderless beetle
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: removing door hinge pins Reply with quote

I struggled with this for about an hour today. C-clamp up, c-clamp down. I changed bolts, sockets, and c-clamps. No matter what I did I couldn't keep the clamp, socket and bolt in line.

I had cut a small slot in an old towel and pushed it over the hinge so as not to damage the paint, but the socket took off some paint on the top of the hinge. I'm glad my daughter has red nail polish. Wink

Using a hammer to hit a bolt inserted into the bottom of the hinge would be a recipe for disaster.

I'm gonna have to think on this a while longer.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: removing door hinge pins Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
I struggled with this for about an hour today. C-clamp up, c-clamp down. I changed bolts, sockets, and c-clamps. No matter what I did I couldn't keep the clamp, socket and bolt in line.

I had cut a small slot in an old towel and pushed it over the hinge so as not to damage the paint, but the socket took off some paint on the top of the hinge. I'm glad my daughter has red nail polish. Wink

Using a hammer to hit a bolt inserted into the bottom of the hinge would be a recipe for disaster.

I'm gonna have to think on this a while longer.

PM sent.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
lashl1951
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: removing door hinge pins Reply with quote

Just a follow up.... sounds like a few of you tried my way with the C-clamp..Seriously guys,, this isn't that hard.. the one thing I didn't mention was that you'll need 2 people but I thought that was obvious since I did mention that my son helped me.. My son held the C-clamp in place while I turned it.. Even with the bar on it to get more leverage he was able to hold the clamp in place.. Just be careful and go SLOW..It does work.. Yes you may and probably will chip some paint on the top of the hinge but it really doesn't do anything serious.. My car is a nice driver not a show car so the touch up on the hinge did upset me but didn't put me over the top..I also did cover the door with some thick tape but it wasn't needed.. Give it a shot, be careful, go slow, have someone with a good grip hold the clamp or go ahead and buy the tool if you feel more comfortable... Good luck !
sparkyt72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: removing door hinge pins Reply with quote

I've made and tested this tool .

I'll be selling them in the new year
sparkyt72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: removing door hinge pins Reply with quote

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371849246012

well I've started production ... and sold a few also renting them out if your only going to need it once..
BotanyBandit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: removing door hinge pins Reply with quote

I did this a little while back and took pictures of how I did mine.

I know the 180$ tool is the bees knees and all, buts that's a lot of beer.
And beer is what keeps MY project moving along Laughing

ReggieBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: removing door hinge pins Reply with quote

Just finished removing a door hinge pin in order to install a mirror on the passenger side of my 1966 Bug convertible today. I have read most of the info posted here on the Samba and thought I'd add from my experiences. First, I did buy the "Hinge Pin Puller" from Eastwood even though their ad shows it upside down on the Bug door hinge. I also took note of the damage to the door and body panel that resulted from its use as posted by someone. So this is what I did. I removed the door. With the door off the car there would be no damage to the front body panel. My door is in primer so I had no paint issues. If yours is painted expect damage, but not much. With the door off and upside down, I did the "several days of spraying BP Blaster" on the hinge. I thought this would let the Blaster seep into the hinge better. After several days of Blaster I turned the door right side up and heated the top of the hinge with a torch and watched as the oil within bubbled out around the pin. I then placed the puller correctly on the hinge finger tight. I discovered that if I used a socket and breaker bar the puller was tipped out of line at the top and would prevent the pin from being pushed through the hole in the puller. I instead used an open end wrench to tighten the puller. This resulted in a small (3/8 x 3/8 inch) scratch to the door surface; see photo. The pin came out no problem. I cleaned the hinge to remove all rust and test fit the new mirror pin. I used some white lithium grease on the hinge and the new pin then pressed it back into the hinge with a large C-clamp and a block of wood to protect the threaded end of the pin. This was a job that I have been dreading for a long time. I think the key is removing the door so you have room to work without too much damage to your car.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: