Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anything worth saving? Scrap 36 hp
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Anything worth saving? Scrap 36 hp Reply with quote

Is there anything I should pull off this before I toss it in the dumpster?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Anything worth saving? Scrap 36 hp Reply with quote

Just put it up for sale in the classifieds. Someone will buy it.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Anything worth saving? Scrap 36 hp Reply with quote

at the least offer it for free in the samba classified ads. better than the dumpster could be some nice parts that some one on a tight budget would really appriciate, plus it could save your back from harm tossing it in a dumpster

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Anything worth saving? Scrap 36 hp Reply with quote

manifold, pulley, heater box.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Anything worth saving? Scrap 36 hp Reply with quote

Manifold, pulley, fuel pump come to mind. It looks like it may have parts of the thermostat system is place, those parts can be hard to find. Depending on why it was removed and what weather it has been subjected too it may have a good case, crank, cam, lifters, or timing gear set (sometimes used in later motors) may be inside.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Anything worth saving? Scrap 36 hp Reply with quote

go thru the ads here and look at specific parts for sale and how long they have been up Wink
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Anything worth saving? Scrap 36 hp Reply with quote

someone could use that shit for sure
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Anything worth saving? Scrap 36 hp Reply with quote

I had planned to at least pull the fuel pump before I tossed it. The pulley is bent and the manifold is split. The case is pitted on the bottom but it has been under cover so I doubt any water got in it. This was the motor from my first dune buggy 30 years ago. We quit running it because it leaked oil badly around the seal and motors were plentiful back then. Maybe I will hold out on tossing it and tear it apart first.
1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Anything worth saving? Scrap 36 hp Reply with quote

the only stuff i could personally see worth saving is stuff inside, like *maybe* the crankshaft/rods, *maybe* the camshaft, *maybe* the heads. and to get those *maybe* parts off and having them be good/salvageable is a big gamble. it also means A LOT of work because of all the rusty, nasty hardware and the corrosion. case perimeter hardware with 14mm heads might be worth pulling off.
nothing in the pic is rare or hard to find, and it all looks to be in very poor condition. I've passed on much better looking, more complete 36hp engines for $25 within the last few months.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Anything worth saving? Scrap 36 hp Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
go thru the ads here and look at specific parts for sale and how long they have been up Wink

Good idea, be sure to look at prices too. Some sellers seem to think that 36 horse is rare. Few of the major parts are available new, but not rare. I would think that a couple hours of quick tear down could get you some sell items; or, after 20 minutes you realize corrosion is at every turn. Taking things apart is a lot easier than putting them together correctly.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Anything worth saving? Scrap 36 hp Reply with quote

That pulley nut is unique item, I'd also grab oil cap
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Anything worth saving? Scrap 36 hp Reply with quote

Everything except the exhaust. A good 36hp case/heads in used condition is getting hard to find. especially if that engine spins freely.
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Anything worth saving? Scrap 36 hp Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
Everything except the exhaust. A good 36hp case/heads in used condition is getting hard to find. especially if that engine spins freely.

I agree.
Just at a glance it looks to be an oval motor. Somebody who may not have the original motor in their car, but is looking for a block that is close to the build month of their car would be stoked to have it.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Anything worth saving? Scrap 36 hp Reply with quote

did this engine ever get torn down? i'd be curious to hear (and see) what was salvageable.
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Anything worth saving? Scrap 36 hp Reply with quote

Not yet.
1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Anything worth saving? Scrap 36 hp Reply with quote

Fuel pump, Oil cap for sure.
I'd offer the rest up as a freebie if someone wanted to come get it, cause it's a PITA to pull parts off and sell. The bits tale up way more space to organize.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Anything worth saving? Scrap 36 hp Reply with quote

Sep 1956
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Anything worth saving? Scrap 36 hp Reply with quote

I never toss old motors. If anything, you can light up the night sky when you go camping!
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Anything worth saving? Scrap 36 hp Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Sep 1956

Might post up in the oval section.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Anything worth saving? Scrap 36 hp Reply with quote

If it has been sitting for 20 or 30 years under a tarp it is a total crap shoot as to anything being good on the inside. I once bought a 36hp that was in a low light Ghia in a junk yard that had pretty much the same parts still on it. It actually looked a little better than that one on the outside. Once I pulled it apart it was quickly obvious that nothing inside was usable because of water had gotten inside. The case and cam gear and heads were completely corroded and the crank and rods were rusted to the point where they were pitted. I think I was able to salvage some of the case hardware but had to scrap the rest.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: