Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WrRider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

5 speed sounds nice. How do you like your 15 gallon fuel tank?
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

The 5 speed is a sure fix for a dual sport car. We will be running a bus box for a long while... I think if we ever go 5 speed that it will be attached to an LS. Very Happy

The 15 gallon tank was all we could fit in the car due to it being a 4 seater. I think more would de better but even flogging the car, it's good for well over 200 miles. Just make sure you by a quality tank! The one we bought had to have every weld rewelded Evil or Very Mad

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545394
WrRider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

That's crap was it from summit? I was thanking posable less the 15 so that's good to know . The old tank was only 10 but on 36hp
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

We bought it on ebay. I don't remember the manufacturer but it's somewhere back in the thread. It was pretty disappointing when the tank cracked at the seam the first day my Son drove it to school.

If I had to do it over, I would have had a custom on built and probably could have gotten closer to 20 gallons.

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

Finally got the paint on the car! Now it will be a mad dash to get it ready for Thanksgiving!

I want to throw out a Huge Thank You! to Dave and Rick for all of their help in making the paint happen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave's Thing is also coming along very well!

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
no1clyde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

Car looks awesome Alan and so does the thing. Winter is coming around here so I put mine in my shop for the winter work session, fix a crack I got on the EBA and then what ever I plan to update LOL. I am thinking about a 5 speed but my car worked very well last week so I am not sure if I want to mess with that part right now.

Ed
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

Thanks Ed!

Winter??? I'm not sure what that word means? Here in SoCal the only difference between Summer and Winter is a few degrees... In the past we got this stuff called "Rain" but that was 5 years or so ago Rolling Eyes

The Thing will be on the road in the next few weeks so I will be able to give you some feed back on the 5 speed. We are going to put our lower geared bus box in for the Dirt season and call it good for now.

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

Your recent update caught my eye, so I did a complete read through over the last couple days. What a great build for father and son! Great work to you two and the rest of your crew of buddies!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WrRider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

That turned out nice. i like that green.
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

pullstart,

Thanks for taking the time to read the thread! I can't say enough about the importance of getting our kids involved in projects that use their minds and hands. Vocational education has disappeared in public schools. Now more than ever it is important to teach the next generation that fingers can do more than push buttons and swipe screens.

WrRider

Thanks Man! It looks good from far but far from good. Not sure if I have mentioned it but... I stink at body work!

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

Your car has come out very nice. I don't like the green, but it's not my car. And even if I don't like the color, it's still very good looking. I like the blue/yellow on Dave's Thing.

The thing is obviously also a Crumco. It doesn't look quite like Shay's race car, but is quite nice. I see VW cylinder head protector bars in the back which says the chassis was originally built for VW like yours. Is it also getting an Ecotec?

Is your radiator getting enough air flow behind the engine to keep the Eco cool?
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

Dusty,

The car is a constant evolution and continues to put a smile on my face every time I drive it. The radiator cools the car well with one exception... when the ragtop is open at 70-80mph the car gets up to about 230 degrees. It's not the best place to mount the radiator but it was the best option as I wanted to be able to see out the back window and space is limited due to the car being a 4 seater.

Dave's Thing is Suburu powered with a 5 speed Subaru gearbox.

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

1fastbigguy wrote:
pullstart,

Thanks for taking the time to read the thread! I can't say enough about the importance of getting our kids involved in projects that use their minds and hands. Vocational education has disappeared in public schools. Now more than ever it is important to teach the next generation that fingers can do more than push buttons and swipe screens.

True story! I took two years of automotive vocational through high school and consider that as a great backbone to my garage skills. Now that I've got two young daughters of my own that I'm homeschooling, you betcha I'll be having shop class as soon as we move to our new house with heated outbuildings! My wife and I have agreed that tool sets should be added to the prize box for their good behavior and chore help around the house. I'm hoping before they are of the age to drive, we'll have completed a build for each of them as summer/daily drivers.
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

pullstart,

That is a great story! If they are VW based projects, I hope they do a build threat so we can all.enjoy the progress! [/quote]

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

It appears we have a winner!

The Thing went from here...

To here over the weekend.

And here sits the Baja...

It will be a thrash but both cars will be in the desert for Thanksgiving!

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

What's in the works other than a trans swap? Looks like some type of mock up going on?
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

pullstart wrote:
What's in the works other than a trans swap? Looks like some type of mock up going on?

1. We relocated the fuel pump and filter to make them more accessible and serviceable.
2. Paint the back half of the chassis.
3. Rebuild the rear coilovers.
4. Replace the drive flanges due to the fact the welded ones that came with the transmission beat the crap out of the inboard side of the axles Sad I will post pictures of the problem and solution in a future post.
5. Finish up car to car and intercom system.
6. Put the car back together with new seals, glass, ragtop and door panels.
7. Take the car out and have a blast for Thanksgiving!

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
HerbieDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

What spring rates did you guys end up with in the rear?
Just got back from my initial run at Glamis, did pretty well but the back end is too squatty. have a 12"x250# upper and 14 x 350# lower
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

HerbieDave wrote:
What spring rates did you guys end up with in the rear?
Just got back from my initial run at Glamis, did pretty well but the back end is too squatty. have a 12"x250# upper and 14 x 350# lower

Dave,

We are running 14"x 3.00 x 450lb springs top and bottom with the slider set to engage in the last 25% of the travel. The ride height is good now but we will see how it is onice all the glass is in the car?

I have a pair of 14.00 x 3.00 x 350lb sitting on the bench. If would would like to try them let me know.

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

Picked up the roof rack from the powder coater's on Friday. They did a really good job... I wish the rest of the car looked as nice!

I have been working on the car nonstop for the last few weekends. With any luck it will be drivable by this evening. I will get some photos up soon. Headed for the garage!

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 26

Jump to: