Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rear axle bearing cover
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
McGuirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: rear axle bearing cover Reply with quote

I had a oil leak from the bottom of the rear brake plate of my 64, so I pulled off the drum (thank you, torque meister knock-off) and found that I have the early bearing housing. (And that sometime someone ran out of the correct bolts and stuck an allen head on one).

My drum is a later replacement without the oil slinger, so I'm guessing these are my options after fixing the leak:

1. leave the early bearing cover and drum as is without the slinger, hope it doesn't leak.
2. get a later bearing cover #311501311, drill weep hole in backing plate.
3. leave the early bearing cover, find an early oil slinger, drill exit hole in drum. (I'd also have to find out how it attaches to the drum, anyone know?)

Right now, I'm leaning toward #2, drilling the backing plate seems easier than drilling the drum. I also found out that the rear axle seal kit from Wolfsburg West comes with 2 metal washers, the larger one is the oil deflector for the later housing. I saw a thread when I was researching this where people were looking for this part. Most of the other axle kits only have the small metal washer.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do number 2. throw small washer in the trash.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: rear axle bearing cover Reply with quote

McGuirk wrote:
I also found out that the rear axle seal kit from Wolfsburg West comes with 2 metal washers, the larger one is the oil deflector for the later housing. I saw a thread when I was researching this where people were looking for this part. Most of the other axle kits only have the small metal washer.

It does? I've never seen that before and I'm pretty sure I've bought that kit from Wolfsburg West in the past. And the description and picture on WW's site doesn't show it. Unless you mean some kit other than this one, but it's the only one I'm seeing on the WW site:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111598051A
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SlimJimVinny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this issue as well.
I did option number two. Take your time and make sure everything is lined up where you want it first, I did it in about 10 minutes with a Dremmel.
It worked well, didn't have any problems after that.
Then I installed sealed bearings, so now I REALLY don't have any leaks.
Hope that helps...

Marilynn 1962 Type I
Evelyn 1971 Type I
SlimJimVinny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this issue as well.
I did option number two. Take your time and make sure everything is lined up where you want it first, I did it in about 10 minutes with a Dremmel.
It worked well, didn't have any problems after that.
Then I installed sealed bearings, so now I REALLY don't have any leaks.
Hope that helps...

Marilynn 1962 Type I
Evelyn 1971 Type I
McGuirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's the same WW kit I bought, 111598051A, but it has two washers, the thinner, smaller one that chews up o-rings (thanks for the warning, Bill) and a larger thicker one. I picked up a used later style bearing cover from Rancho Transmission today that has an old, beat up oil deflector still mounted in it, it looks to be the same size as the WW washer. Maybe WW switched suppliers, the oil seal is blue with numbers on it but no manufacturer's name.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have to change my statement that I bought one from WW. I have a couple of kits here that I did buy in the last couple of years, but in looking at my various WW receipts (well, saved emails) I can't find those in any of them. It must have been from Busdepot or CIP then.
vw donvieira
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: rear axle bearing cover Reply with quote

I used the 311501311A axle seal housing for my 1964 Ghia and the axle bearing area is too shallow for the bearing to seat against the housing. The brake backing plate moves. Is the "A" in the part number the problem?

Thanks, vwdon
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: rear axle bearing cover Reply with quote

I did number 1, and when doing that the paper gasket is not used either. I have to agree with Bill May, throw that small washer in the trash. I have never had any problem getting the O ring to seal without it, but I have with it.

The oil deflector seems to be available, I just hit up CIP because the site is easy and they list the deflector as available. It clips on the hole in the center area of the drum and then sits in the hole in the edge of stock older drums.
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: rear axle bearing cover Reply with quote

vw donvieira wrote:
I used the 311501311A axle seal housing for my 1964 Ghia and the axle bearing area is too shallow for the bearing to seat against the housing. The brake backing plate moves. Is the "A" in the part number the problem?

Thanks, vwdon

Yes, the "A" version is for long axle setups. Your 64 should have shorties.

-oval style cap was open, showing the entire seal and used a special deflector that mounted to the drum. Was used on early square window era cars. They don't have a big part # visible on them

-the first style with pocket for deflector washer did away with drum mounted deflector, and has big 311 stamping. You need this one.

-the next style was the "A" version and the depth is different for long axles after 1966.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: