Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So close to starting! What am i missing?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
caseyr02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: So close to starting! What am i missing? Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/ZIDN1x5rtgM

My '68 sounds like it is so close to turning over. I feel like I am just missing something. Any ideas?

the 411: new plugs, checked timing with test light, charged battery reading 100%, new battery cables, cleaned up all my ground wires. all new fuel pump, fuel lines, and carb. Checked to make sure fuel getting through the lines to the carb - all good there. Poured a little gas directly in the carb before starting.

Truth be told I haven't done is a gap test on the spark plugs or checked anything with a multi-meter (because i don't have one or know how to use one).
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: So close to starting! What am i missing? Reply with quote

have you done any sort of carb set up yet? if the carb is really far off, it wont start. Especially since you aren't throttling it at all, this could be the case.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: So close to starting! What am i missing? Reply with quote

When you say 'turning over' I take it to mean that the starter is not turning the engine over,which may be a starter or electric problem,then you talk of ignition parts,so is it turning over with the starter and not starting or is it not turning over at all?
Never mind,saw the video.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: So close to starting! What am i missing? Reply with quote

Use a shot of starter spray to isolate fuel from spark problems.

You answered your own question about missing stuff

Very Happy Very Happy

Pull plugs, evaluate
Compression test
Evaluate spark at each plug grounded to body
Fix spark (points, cap, rotor, coil all suspects)

Vroom!
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: So close to starting! What am i missing? Reply with quote

caseyr02 wrote:
... checked timing with test light ...

I would get a helper and loosen the distributor clamp. While the helper cranks the the engine, rotate the distributor a few degrees both ways. When it turns over and starts tighten the distributor and check the timing with a timing light. Set the timing to specs and check the dwell. Set the dwell if out of specs and then check the timing again.

Caveat:
Long sleeves, hair and or beards may get caught in the fan belt.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: So close to starting! What am i missing? Reply with quote

I would pour a shot glass of gas into the carb. Hold the throttle wide open. Have someone crank and slowly rotate the distributor back and forth just a bit. Don't do this for more than about 30 seconds. If it doesn't fire then check your plugs and make sure your plug wires are correctly placed.

EDIT: Plug that open vacuum port on the front of the carburetor. You should have one on the side plugged as well.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: So close to starting! What am i missing? Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
Today 5:44 am ... rotate the distributor a few degrees both ways. ...

aeromech wrote:
Today 5:46 am ... rotate the distributor back and forth just a bit. ...

Great minds think alike. Smile

Aloha
tp
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: So close to starting! What am i missing? Reply with quote

Embarassed Sad Have a fire extinguisher ready too- incase a lean back fire blows residual fuel all over the place.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
72lowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: So close to starting! What am i missing? Reply with quote

How do you do the adjustment on you carburetor?
You spark plugs cables are on the right order 1432?
The choke on the carburetor is calibrated?

Balt
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: So close to starting! What am i missing? Reply with quote

Have you pushed the pedal to the floor to set the choke? You should see the choke butterfly in the closed position if you did. Yes maybe hold the pedal down a bit and only crank the engine a couple of seconds before stopping and pumping the pedal again. If after several tries of doing this the engine doesn't start hold the pedal all the way to the floor and try cranking it for 10-15 seconds to clear any possible excess fuel.

As you open the throttle you should be able to hear fuel squirting into the venturi and if you use a mirror you should be able to see it squirt.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: So close to starting! What am i missing? Reply with quote

it sounds retarded but who am I to say. Pour a tablespoon of fuel down the carb throat and see what it does.
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: So close to starting! What am i missing? Reply with quote

First thing first.Have you checked the valves for adjustment?
I noticed you started a thread back in September with the same issue,Have you had the bus running at all since then?
I'm willing to bet the new plugs are fouled from all the turning over and no running..you say you have not checked the gap (new plugs are rarely gaped properly out of the box these days), so do it now.Clean them up and test the spark by grounding to the metal somewhere

I'd take the advise here about the shot glass of fuel..If the results are the same, pull the plugs right after and have a look..If they're soaking wet, you have adequete fuel delivery likely.. and a weak or out of timed ignition system.. "read 'em weep" as they say..
Aeromech is correct on plugging the vacuum inlets on the carb..you have an .009 distributer..so no need with that setup.
You have both spark and fuel, you just need to figure out the weakest link
-Good luck[/s]
caseyr02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: So close to starting! What am i missing? Reply with quote

Okay, tried the distributor turning trick and it didn't turn over. So now I am thinking it is the spark/lack there of.

I'll check that out tonight. Do the test lights work, or it is best to just pull the plug and ground it?

If the spark is bad...then what should my next trouble shooting step be? These are new plugs, but I hear that new doesnt always mean they are working plugs.

As always...thanks for the advice! Can't wait to get my '68 running!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: So close to starting! What am i missing? Reply with quote

I've seen engines run on just two spark plugs. Chances that all four of your new plugs are bad is slim.

I saw a bus once that lost voltage to the coil when the ignition switch was rotated to crank. Try running a separate wire directly from your + battery post to the coil + and see what happens.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: So close to starting! What am i missing? Reply with quote

Figure out if you are missing spark or fuel FIRST. If you have no fire at all pouring some gas in, its probably spark,

Half the advice here isn't going to help you, unless you have multiple problems, which probably isn't the case.

You isolate the system of trouble, then work backwards to find root cause.

Pull the easiest plug, rest plug base against metal or run a wire, and the look at the spark at the plug itself. Thats the foolproof way and also the way you do it on the road without the tester.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: So close to starting! What am i missing? Reply with quote

caseyr02 wrote:
Okay, tried the distributor turning trick and it didn't turn over. So now I am thinking it is the spark/lack there of.

I'll check that out tonight. Do the test lights work, or it is best to just pull the plug and ground it?

If the spark is bad...then what should my next trouble shooting step be? These are new plugs, but I hear that new doesnt always mean they are working plugs.

As always...thanks for the advice! Can't wait to get my '68 running!

so when did you try adding a table spoon of fuel down the carb throat to see if that heled?
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: So close to starting! What am i missing? Reply with quote

when you turn the key it sends 12v via a black wire to the + side of the coil.Do you have that?

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: So close to starting! What am i missing? Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:
when you turn the key it sends 12v via a black wire to the + side of the coil.Do you have that?

As I said above (sort of), I once worked on a bus that did have the 12V to the coil with the key just turned to ON. Once you cranked it lost the voltage. It was a bad ignition switch.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: