Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EMPI oil fillter/breather questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
legbuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: EMPI oil fillter/breather questions Reply with quote

Ok, my bug came with this beauty (EMPI oil filler/breather box):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It has hoses that runs to each valve cover, and another that leads to the base of the air filter on the right side, which I assume is for vacuum.

Questions:

1. Should there be one of those little k&n filters on the top of the box so it can "breath"?

2. What would the vacuum line going to the bottom of the filter base be for and is there even sufficient vacuum there?

3. I can't really see inside the box, but whats to stop oil from going down the tube on the bottom to a valve cover vs. into the oil fill spot?

Any other comments about this unit I'm all ears.

Thanks! It's fun getting to know my new ride!
CPO_05
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI oil fillter/breather questions Reply with quote

Hope this helps:

1. No, vacuum is pulled from your carb(s) which in turn pulls excess pressure from your case via the box and valve covers. This is how it "breathes".

2. Your vacuum line should run from the top of the box to the breather tube on each carb air cleaner. Important to make sure there are ZERO kinks in all lines. Also minimize low spots to prevent oil residue from pooling and clogging the line. Your lines to the valve covers are hopefully connected to the top of the covers....

3. Inside the box is completely empty...there is nothing to stop oil from going to covers. This is OK. Just make sure you have the connections sealed really well as these tend to leak ( not a good design).
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI oil fillter/breather questions Reply with quote

Running a line to the air cleaner will ensure a filthy carb. I would remove it and plate a breather filter on the top.

I ASSume it's a copy of the CB breather s it should have steps inside that causes the oil to fall out of suspension. Some put a brass scrubby inside to assist with removing the oil from the air.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
legbuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI oil fillter/breather questions Reply with quote

It does have the sponge and baffles (or at least is supposed to)
http://vwcatalog.empius.com/vwcatalog/2016/58.html

I need to look again.. I don't remember exactly which hose led the the filter but I remove that... I need to find more info. Some have said to do it to one, some to both, and others say use a little breather filter.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: