Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headlight switch
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight switch Reply with quote

1973 412 WAGON wrote:
Ray, So do I use the 2 red wires as one on the type 3 switch? Since it only has 6 pins verses 7?

List what pins your original switch has.....and what their numbers are. Also what the pin configuration is on the back so I know exactly which version you have.

Typically....on both type 3 and type 4 switches.....the red wire (s) go to the #30 terminal.

On some switches...there were two terminals listed as 30 (411 941 531A is this way). They were actually the same terminal if you look closely. ...it just had to legs to it.

So there were...some switches that only had one 30 terminal. On these systems the two red wires were generally crimped together on one female terminal to plug onto that single 30 terminal.

So if you type 3 switch only has one #30 terminal....then crimp a new female terminal onto both of those wires together.

BUT.....you cannot use the type 3 switch. As I noted.....its snout is too short. The switch WILL short out on the dash metal in the back. The snout length is different for a reason. I will not be able to get to the snout length modification until next weekend. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1973 412 WAGON
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight switch Reply with quote

411 941 531A is the switch I have, Ray. Did you get a chance to get to the rebuild pictures yet?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight switch Reply with quote

1973 412 WAGON wrote:
411 941 531A is the switch I have, Ray. Did you get a chance to get to the rebuild pictures yet?

Yes....three days ago..... Laughing ....its the thread right underneath this one called "411-412 headlight switch rebuild"!
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight switch Reply with quote

Just a side note on this...to make sure I always have the head- and taillights on (since that is mandatory even att daytime in my country) I have already in the 80's put in a relay which brings the head- and taillights on with the ignition on (but the relay is released during starter operation).

The light switch is fully out all the time, at a second thought this has made the life of the headlight switch much easier and longer since I never have to touch it. Very Happy

I just have to put some additional function in the circuit since I do not have any parking light with the current solution. Sad

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight switch Reply with quote

Lars S wrote:
Just a side note on this...to make sure I always have the head- and taillights on (since that is mandatory even att daytime in my country) I have already in the 80's put in a relay which brings the head- and taillights on with the ignition on (but the relay is released during starter operation).

The light switch is fully out all the time, at a second thought this has made the life of the headlight switch much easier and longer since I never have to touch it. Very Happy

I just have to put some additional function in the circuit since I do not have any parking light with the current solution. Sad

/Lars S

Excellent idea Lars!

Also I have been sketching out in my head how to connect a small external potentiometer or rheostat to work around switches that have the rheostat damaged.

It would not make an issue for me to set the brightness under the dash on a rheostat as I never change the brightness once I have it,where I like it. Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight switch Reply with quote

I know there is a thread that deals with refurbing the headlight switch. The one thing I did notice is that those switches had a hole in the rear. My switch does not.

Any tips on how to 'revive' the part that operates the dash lights? The dimming feature works marginal at best.

Here are some shots of the switch:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight switch Reply with quote

ClassicCamper wrote:
I know there is a thread that deals with refurbing the headlight switch. The one thing I did notice is that those switches had a hole in the rear. My switch does not.

Any tips on how to 'revive' the part that operates the dash lights? The dimming feature works marginal at best.

Go back through that post. VERY FEW....mostly 1974.....have the hole in the back....and that one is the least desirable. What you have will work fine. The issue with the dimmer...being intermittent is corrosion on the rheostat. Its a symptom of the inevitable problem that will eventually kill the rheostat. On the good side.....your dash lights will still work fine when they are on full bright.

Its worth the time to clean and lube the switch before reinstalling it....because when it vreaks it will break while driving....and you will be stranded with no lights.

Also.....look for some super soft closed cell neoprene and do your flaps NOW......lr you,will be pulling the airbox out again in winter. Trust me.....its COLD. I will see if I can find a,mcmaster carr part #for you. Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight switch Reply with quote

Thanks for checking Mcmaster. Okay, off with the airbox again lol. I don't want to freeze. I did that last year.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: