Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Samba Book Club
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

far rider wrote:
Just finished 'Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand who also wrote "Seabiscut".
Unbroken is the true story of Louis Zamperini's wild youth, Olympic greatness and WWII captivity. One tough MFer. Great read.

I very recently finished "Seabiscut". I wasn't interested in it because I'm not a horse racing person. I gave it a chance because I liked "Unbroken". I wasn't disappointed. Another great book I thoroughly enjoyed it.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

"The Pacific" by Hugh Ambrose. Wow, what a long book. This took me a while to get through, hard to follow and was a bit confusing at times, but enjoyable. A sequel to "Band of Brothers" and if you compared the two, the Band of Bros wins, hands down. Just like the two HBO mini-series.

# 303 and #156

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Last week I finished " Hammer of the Gods" The Led Zeppelin Saga
by Stephen Davis- they did rock

Last night I finished " Steve McQueen" A passion for Speed by Frederic Beun
a coffee table book with some excellent photographs of Steve and his machines- McQueen was defiantly a hero of mine
Hank
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Testimony
autobiography of Robbie Robertson
interesting read on his life and music up to the Last Waltz
I'll have the Last Waltz on in the shop today
cheers
Hank
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Just finished up "Wilson" by A. Scott Berg. Written in 2013 about 28th President of the United States Woodrow Wilson. Good book, what a righteous man. Too bad politics screwed up his program, but that's politics. It was good to know that a hundred years ago, politics, was just as screwed up as today.

# 303 and #156

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Real Food fake Food by Larry Olmsted. Written by a chef you'll be a lot more careful about what you buy after reading this. Who do you think is the largest consumer of animal meat by-products?
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Just finished Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose. Lewis and Clark’s exploration of the Louisiana Purchase and their trek to the Pacific Ocean.
Great book, but too short.

Next up is Ender's Game. First in a series of four books. A 1985 science fiction novel by Orson Scott Card. Set in Earth's future, the military must breed their commanders if Human's are to survive and win a third battle with insectoid alien species.

# 303 and #156

ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Been tearing through this lately:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51w%2BFKxTfIL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Simpsons Unauthorized oral history. Amazing story of how the cartoon fell bass-ackwards into its own series and became a cultural phenomenon.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is a great story marred by sophomoric writing and cliched characters. I don't know if it's the writing or translation, but the story is enough to keep me at it because I do want to know how it plays out.

Basically, it's about an archaeological expedition in Iraq to uncover the actual clay tablets of the story of humanity as to told to a scribe by Abraham, the father of the Jewish people.

It's full of sub-plots and backstory which help keep it interesting.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Fish wrote:
Just finished Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose. Lewis and Clark’s exploration of the Louisiana Purchase and their trek to the Pacific Ocean.

Too short? It is a great book but I thought it was over written with too much detail! Different slants on the same book!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/Higher-Call-Incredible-Chivalry-War-Torn-ebook/dp/B0095ZQ36G

Quote:
December, 1943: A badly damaged American bomber struggles to fly over wartime Germany. At the controls is twenty-one-year-old Second Lieutenant Charlie Brown. Half his crew lay wounded or dead on this, their first mission. Suddenly, a Messerschmitt fighter pulls up on the bomber’s tail. The pilot is German ace Franz Stigler—and he can destroy the young American crew with the squeeze of a trigger...

What happened next would defy imagination and later be called “the most incredible encounter between enemies in World War II.”

The U.S. 8th Air Force would later classify what happened between them as “top secret.” It was an act that Franz could never mention for fear of facing a firing squad. It was the encounter that would haunt both Charlie and Franz for forty years until, as old men, they would search the world for each other, a last mission that could change their lives forever.
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

The Hundred‑Year‑Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and ...
Novel by Jonas Jonasson.

I very much enjoyed this book about a Centenarian who Forest Gump's his way through life.

Just now saw it is a movie I'll have to watch.

# 303 and #156

Last edited by Fish on Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
Fish wrote:

Too short? It is a great book but I thought it was over written with too much detail! Different slants on the same book!

"The first time ever west of the Mississippi." This was used WAY to many times.

From St Louis to the divide was most of the book. From the divide to the pacific and back was only a chapter or two. I would have preferred to read more about the pacific side of things. I'll have to look for another book on the subject.

# 303 and #156

Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Ender's Game. First in a series of four books. A 1985 science fiction novel by Orson Scott Card.
I've only finished book one of four and am seeking 2,3 &4. The question is ... This too is a movie. Should I watch it before finishing the books? I think I'll wait and finish the series.

# 303 and #156

Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

The Game of Kings.
First book of the Lymond Chronicles by Dorothy Dunnett. Hard to read but worth it if you like fiction set in historic times.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Fish wrote:
Ender's Game. First in a series of four books. A 1985 science fiction novel by Orson Scott Card.
I've only finished book one of four and am seeking 2,3 &4. The question is ... This too is a movie. Should I watch it before finishing the books? I think I'll wait and finish the series.

I don't know if it matters if you watch the movie first before the other books but the movie is nowhere near as good as the book.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Fish wrote:

I don't know if it matters if you watch the movie first before the other books but the movie is nowhere near as good as the book.

As is tradition.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Written in 2011, but taking place in some not too distant future, this is sort of a take on The Scarlet Letter (1850), where convicted criminals are 'melachromed,' which turns their skin a color, based on the type of crime they have committed. They are then released into the world to deal with life as marked criminal, at the mercy of pretty much everyone, especially in the great majority of the country which is now dominated by the religious Right.

The story revolves around one woman who has been red-chromed for her crime, and follows her evolution in overcoming her obstacles.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

A psychological thriller in which an alcoholic, divorced woman deals with her demons, her ex-husband and his new family, a couple she fantasizes about from afar, and how it all comes crashing together.
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

I been busy bookwise these past few months. I read "Fall of Giants" and "Winter of World" by author Ken Follett. These are the first and second books of the Century Trilogy, and follows five interrelated families throughout the course of the 20th century. The local library hasn't got the third "Edge of Eternity" yet. Hard to follow at first, but once you get to know the characters it's a good long read.
In the mean time I've read "The Dog Stars" by Peter Heller. Great book that I really enjoyed reading. In Post-apocalyptic Colorado a man, a dog, a plane and his friend the gun nut eek out a life defending thier small airport form deadly wanders. You will laugh, you will cry and you won't put this book down until you finish it. Soon to be a major motion picture?

# 303 and #156

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 26

Jump to: