Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 105, 106, 107 ... 159, 160, 161  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
EverettB wrote:
oakman wrote:
Wasn't this Joey's (scvw) that was listed last month or so for $11k? Very neat car, I thought it was probably a good deal for 11k. I usually don't post much in the whines but 25k seems pretty steep!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1978105

Yeah, that's crazy, my brother had a similar but WAY nicer '53 for under $20K and it still took a super long time to sell.

Everett, your brothers car is actually in my garage right now. Wait til you see it, I'm doing a lot of work to it for my buddy.

Nice! Congrats on the 53' in your garage! It was from Sweden right? My first car was a 55' semaphore oval, so even though I don't need any more cars I still have to look and day dream. I looked at EB's brothers ad numerous times while it was up.
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
jays58s wrote:
EverettB wrote:
oakman wrote:
Wasn't this Joey's (scvw) that was listed last month or so for $11k? Very neat car, I thought it was probably a good deal for 11k. I usually don't post much in the whines but 25k seems pretty steep!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1978105

Yeah, that's crazy, my brother had a similar but WAY nicer '53 for under $20K and it still took a super long time to sell.

Everett, your brothers car is actually in my garage right now. Wait til you see it, I'm doing a lot of work to it for my buddy.

Nice! Congrats on the 53' in your garage! It was from Sweden right? My first car was a 55' semaphore oval, so even though I don't need any more cars I still have to look and day dream. I looked at EB's brothers ad numerous times while it was up.

It's a pretty cool car, I can't wait to finish it.
chris henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
chris henry wrote:
chris henry wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1976990
Yea that rear apron looks og. 15k ??? He wont have to worry about selling it. Nobody is going to give him half that for it.

Why would some one even pay 10k for it when you can buy this http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1976789
or this http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1801573
and 10's of thousands of dollars ahead when everything is said and done

It'll cost you $3600 just to get that Canadian standard into the US, and it has the wrong front apron. I guess it depends on how much of a purist you are.

Regardless..I sold a 55 3 fold about a year ago for 6k that was much nicer then that POS and it was a semifore car...Dude is out of his mind
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

Can you even salvage parts or cars that are burned like this?? I would think the metal, aside from being warped, is weakened?? Just a shame to see a classic VW burned.... Crying or Very sad

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1978633
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

My primary whine is the lack of a price. I hate the "I'm asking Best Offer...Please don't low ball me."

Toss out a price! Evil or Very Mad

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1978754

He also mentions "some rust" but doesn't show where or describe it it.

On the very positive side, this is a wonderful survivor and appears to be super complete and original.

I just wish the seller was a bit more descriptive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
My primary whine is the lack of a price. I hate the "I'm asking Best Offer...Please don't low ball me."

On the very positive side, this is a wonderful survivor and appears to be super complete and original.

That car looks identical to one that was listed on here in Fresno, CA. If it is, that car is SUPER rusty. The heater channels, the entire front firewall on both sides, the lower door hinge/A pillars, and so me other areas were heavily rotted. The guy is Fresno had it listed for $9000 I believe.
chris henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
nlorntson wrote:

That car looks identical to one that was listed on here in Fresno, CA. If it is, that car is SUPER rusty. The heater channels, the entire front firewall on both sides, the lower door hinge/A pillars, and so me other areas were heavily rotted. The guy is Fresno had it listed for $9000 I believe.

Yes that most definitely is wess' car and yes it is crusty
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

chris henry wrote:
jays58s wrote:
nlorntson wrote:

I almost bought that car because most of it looks really good, but it had more rust than I wanted to deal with. I would've loved to have that car, just too much rust repair needed.
chris henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
chris henry wrote:
jays58s wrote:
nlorntson wrote:

I almost bought that car because most of it looks really good, but it had more rust than I wanted to deal with. I would've loved to have that car, just too much rust repair needed.

I looked at it about ten years ago and thought the same thing. I ended up buying a 53 rag from him instead. I would say the ad is deceiving as that car has more then the normal rot but i guess it is up to buyers to do their due diligence and ask questions
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

chris henry wrote:
jays58s wrote:
chris henry wrote:
jays58s wrote:
nlorntson wrote:

I looked at it about ten years ago and thought the same thing. I ended up buying a 53 rag from him instead. I would say the ad is deceiving as that car has more then the normal rot but i guess it is up to buyers to do their due diligence and ask questions

Exactly, it's tough to find anything early that doesn't have some sort of rot. From the outside, the car looks awesome, but you definitely have to know what to look for.
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1538809

I wanna congratulate the seller on 3-year anniversary of this ad, well done Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

Ultramoron wrote:

I wanna congratulate the seller on 3-year anniversary of this ad, well done Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

50,000+ views and it's still available, I think it's pretty safe to say that the person he was hoping to come along and pay that insane price doesn't exist. Take it to Barrett Jackson and cross your fingers.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
Ultramoron wrote:

50,000+ views and it's still available, I think it's pretty safe to say that the person he was hoping to come along and pay that insane price doesn't exist. Take it to Barrett Jackson and cross your fingers.

The price is also $10K higher than the original price. Wink
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

Help bail out Greece. Only $35,763!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1980064
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

3foldfolly wrote:

Good lord, crappy interior, wrong rear fenders, no engine compartment sound deadening, wrong engine, and who knows what else. Yeah, that car won't sell anytime soon, but most likely never at that price.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

"Modified" is an understatement. This is just sad.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1980319
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
greek_tony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
3foldfolly wrote:

Good lord, crappy interior, wrong rear fenders, no engine compartment sound deadening, wrong engine, and who knows what else. Yeah, that car won't sell anytime soon, but most likely never at that price.

What's up with the rear apron under the rear lid? Shocked
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

Are ovals really worth what we are asking for them?
Seems the prices have gone crazy high in the past year...upwards in the direction of above 10K..
Now dont get me wrong I have always loved these cars from when I 1st saw one in 1957.
Wow 60 yrs.but i regress.
But it just seems recently the price has skyrocketed,
I brought mine out yesterday, and my next door neighbor came out, to admire it, she loves it, and wants it. So we went on thesamba to see if we could find her one, both her and i were shocked at the prices...are they really worthy of those asking prices, or has inflation driven them that high? Dont get me wrong,I am not bitching but am asking what are your thoughts? And forget about busses.those are stupid outrageous.
Thanks cheers Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

Yes, unfortunately ovals have gone up that much lately. Depends on which side of the fence you are on. If you are a seller, that's probably great. As a buyer. ..not so great. If you are in need of parts for these cars, well, that's gotten out of control too. I followed along with your build thread on your bus. Have you put up any pictures of your oval? Ragtop and early ovals command the most money lately. I still see later (56-57) oval drivers pop up for sale occasionally for 8 to 12 grand. Gotta be quick!
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

The price of Ovals are being pushed and pulled. You can't buy any other kind of german steel (like Porsches) for anything near a reasonable price, so the Ovals are a nice substitute. At the same time, price is being pushed by the nicer early Square Window beetles. Price those, and you'll see where our prices are coming from. Glad my car is safely tucked in my garage.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 105, 106, 107 ... 159, 160, 161  Next
Jump to:
Page 106 of 161

Jump to: