Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rabbit mk1 -83 Glue in windshield size? Help needed!
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JK76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Rabbit mk1 -83 Glue in windshield size? Help needed! Reply with quote

I have glue in windshield in my project and I measured the old one when I took it out few years ago, but I have lost my notes!

What are actual measurements for glue in type windshield? How much bigger than press in type? I'm asking because I can't find glue in windshield anywhere here in Europe and I have to have it made. Manufacturer has press in windshield mold and just needs measurements to add extra...

If someone has EXACT measurements for original glue in windshield that would save my day, and month Wink

JK
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit mk1 -83 Glue in windshield size? Help needed! Reply with quote

Have you priced having the windshield made vs buying a US one & having it shipped?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit mk1 -83 Glue in windshield size? Help needed! Reply with quote

it's the exact windshield as a cabriolet. order one for that

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit mk1 -83 Glue in windshield size? Help needed! Reply with quote

The cabriolets were a German production car & still had a rubber gasket so the windshield was a different dimension. Some of the 83/4 Westmoreland Rabbit GTIs had windshields glued in, you can convert but you will need to replace the a-pillar trim.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
JK76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit mk1 -83 Glue in windshield size? Help needed! Reply with quote

Thank you all for the tips.

Here in Northern Europe any glass shops database doesn't recognize Cabriolets glue-in windshield. Apparently in Europe Cabriolets has always been with press-in type windshields? That is the main problem.

I know that Cabriolet glue-in glass is FW659 and normal press-in glass is FW332 but it doesn't help if local firm database knows only press-in glass...

Shipping windshield from USA to Europe will be expensive, I don't know if $200 would be enough for shipping? Windshield $160 or so and then taxes and tolls +29% would make roughly around $450 (in Finland you pay first toll for the product and then taxes for the whole package inclunding shipping costs!!) I can get windshield made for in Finland for $270 with green tint and shipping is cheap.

I'm restoring my car for special museum register and therefore I would like to maintain the original windshield type and I would not like to "adjust" a-pillar trims or anything. This is why the hard road Wink

So if anyone can get exact measurements for the glue-in windshield (or better a glass manufacturers datasheet or so) I would be on my knees and thanking for it.

Jani
JK76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit mk1 -83 Glue in windshield size? Help needed! Reply with quote

Hi all!

I contacted Pilkington and I had following info. Glue-in window is no longer manufactured and not available anywhere in Europe. But I got scanned picture of their old product book where you can find measurements for the windshield. I added it to the water cooled gallery under name "VW Cabrio/Rabbit/Carat 1980-1993 windshields Pilkington", link below if it works.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1549405

Does this size seem right to you ( 25.5*54.5)? Why bigger difference in height than in width (press-in 25,1*52,7)?

Jani
JK76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit mk1 -83 Glue in windshield size? Help needed! BUMP! Reply with quote

Does anyone has glue-in windshield to provide exact measurements? I would like to have confirmation for the size I got before I order it from manufacturer..

How big is the gap between pillar and the glass with glue-in glass when the glass is in place? If I get that info I could make a templet out of thin hardboard..

Thanks!

Jani
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit mk1 -83 Glue in windshield size? Help needed! Reply with quote

cabby with air bag have glue in glass starting when air bags did.. 89ish...
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit mk1 -83 Glue in windshield size? Help needed! Reply with quote

So the part you need is actually a FW 443, The FW 659 is an encapsulated glass( with bonded molding). While the FW 443 is a a glass only part which has it own type of Molding which is required because the glass fits so far into the pocket.
As far as I know only the US versions got the glued in glass in, while the rest of the world retained the rubber set glass through the end of the MK2 chassis.
The inside trims are funky and a bit of an afterthought as they just glue to the inside of the pinchweld.
I will give it a look in an old NAGS book and see if I can find the measurements.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JK76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit mk1 -83 Glue in windshield size? Help needed! Reply with quote

Thank you all for tips. 16CV's tips raises questions. FW 443 is somekind of molding piece or what? Importglasscorp.com listing shows that it costs only $12,75.

I have read that in cabrio there is an inner seal also with glue-in windshield (https://www.werk34.de/product_info.php/info/p17420_Front-screen-seal-Golf-I-Cabrio--only-glued-front-screen--.html). My -83 Rabbit Gti had original windshield, thick glue and just outer pre-formed trim out of hard plastic like this (http://i.imgur.com/cenZvsW.jpg?1). No inner trim what so ever! Inside just original burgundy plastic/metal trimming around windshield.

No one seems to know exact measurements to glue-in windshield or what seals and trimmings are included with -83 GTi? Original outer seal is obsolete, but I have found universal type soft rubber seal guite near the original appearance.

Questions that still needs answers:
- glue-in windshield size (how big gap is from window edge to pinchweld frame?
- does glue-in windshield require some inner seal to lift window from deep pinchweld groove (in Rabbit Gti, not cabriolet)?
- original type outer seal is nowhere to find, universal soft seal is only way to go?
- if I replace my windshield with press-in glass, how much I have to modify surrounding burgundy inner moldings? Someone that has done this might know? Pictures anyone? My common sense tells that rubber seal thinkens pichwelds inner side just a little..?

I know this problem is a pain in the *** but I would like to get it right at first attempt Wink

Jani
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit mk1 -83 Glue in windshield size? Help needed! Reply with quote

I just checked with my supplier and the molding is still available (WFS 443) Generally the gap between the glass and the body is about 3/16" - 1/4".
I can understand the want to restore this. VW did this only for the US market and down the road these part will be harder to get. Put a rubber sealed glass in it and go on with your life. The added benefit is that it will trim off the inside and be cheap to replace in the future.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit mk1 -83 Glue in windshield size? Help needed! Reply with quote

JK76 wrote:
- if I replace my windshield with press-in glass, how much I have to modify surrounding burgundy inner moldings? Someone that has done this might know? Pictures anyone? My common sense tells that rubber seal thinkens pichwelds inner side just a little..?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6114265-Rabbit-GTI-with-gasket-style-windshield

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6115851-83-GTI-windshield-conversion

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7078513-Rabbit-windshield-install-leave-quot-teeth-quot

A lot of Rabbit/GTI folks here in the States have switched from glue-in to press-in. If you have questions, I recommend joining VW Vortex and asking there (more forum traffic).
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JK76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit mk1 -83 Glue in windshield size? Help needed! Reply with quote

I contacted VW Classic Parts in Germany (VW factory). They have glue-in windshield for VW Golf MK1 Cabriolet 83-93. It's with green tint and for cars with airbags. Part number 155 845 011 L
http://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/frontscheibe-6f357e.html
They said it is the same size as Rabbit had..

I ordered it and hopefully it fits. Thank you all for helping me out.

Jani
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: