Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Side windows faded
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Side windows faded Reply with quote

I know this has been cover d before, but what product do you suggest to clean faded curtains? I am using Plasti-x Meguiars stuff, but though it helped some I feel like a I can do better.
How about using my Cyclo polisher and some ???
I was glad to score a set of windows at a decent price, in good shape but a bit clouded.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Side windows faded Reply with quote

Any place that does convertible tops should be able to supply the clear plastic and sew it in for you. You can also use plexiglass and with some time and effort sew the plexiglass in place.
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Side windows faded Reply with quote

Yes I am considering that option. They cleaned up some, where you can see through but not good enough for looks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Side windows faded Reply with quote

I am not a big fan of the Plasti-x either.

My go to products were Meguiars #10 and #11. One is a cleaner and the other is a polish.

I recently tried Novus, 1, 2, and 3. You can get 2 oz sample sizes off of Ebay or if you have a Container Store near you they carry it. The number one is fantasic-it is a cleaner and polish. Number 2 has some cut and number 3 has a lot of cut. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=novus&_sacat=0

You can try Flitz polish as well. http://www.autogeek.net/flmepopare.html

There are lots of products for boats. as well. This comes highly recommended from Mike Phillips...
http://www.autogeek.net/eisenglass-polish-protectant-cleaner-for-boats.html

If you have a boat shop in the area too that does the awnings/windows they should be able to replace the vinyl as well.

I have the Plexus too but that is more of just a protectant just for maintenance.

Keep us posted.

Last edited by 74 Thing on Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Side windows faded Reply with quote

Never heard of Novus, might give it a try. I found a weird product on the Pelican site for rubber Gummi Pfledge. Works great on rubber trim.
Haven't used it at all on the windows, might see if it has any effect.

I took the Thing out today for a cruise. It was pretty chilly but not real cold. I was surprised how much warmer it was with the bikini top and 4 windows in.
Wish the hardtop I got, fit. But it doesn't... Crying or Very sad
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Side windows faded Reply with quote

i ordered the Nexus kit, all 3 numbers .. EBAY for $18 free shipping too.
Gotta be better, I used DuPont car polish and a buffer slow speed, and they do look better but not there yet.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Side windows faded Reply with quote

Yeah, worth a shot. Post some photos of the before and afters. #3 is pretty heavy cut so start with a cleaning with 1 then #2 then back to #1 for cleaning and protection. If that does not work try #3-or give it a shot in a small area then go to #2 and then #1. The side curtains are tough to work on since there are two sides whereas if you are polishing paint it is just one side to remove swirls.
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Side windows faded Reply with quote

ok looking forward to making these better...
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Side windows faded Reply with quote

I forgot to shoot a pic before, but let me tell ya I could not see through this window at all. Still has a bit of cloudy stuff but is a whole lot better.
#3 and #2 polishes used then #1 to final clean. Not a whole lot of time spent, but I will try again and use a buffer to see how it goes. Got the Novus kit,on EBay, all three and some cloths and booklet for $18 delivered free.
8oz bottles.
At least I can see who is comin at me now..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Side windows faded Reply with quote

Nice-glad to see it worked out for you!
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Side windows faded Reply with quote

^^nice fiskars

i did use 3m plastic compound cleaner

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Side windows faded Reply with quote

looks good as well. I am going to try my buffer and the Novus 2 before I quit.

Tried some light compound and it cleaned them up some but not being made for plastic I wasn't sure it wouldn't harm the windows somehow. So I backed off. Also use Meguir's plastic X. Worked OK but not great.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: