Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vert semaphore question
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is there so much discussion going on and on?
Yes, with all the very strict regulated production at VW we are used in, it is uncommon for us to see a part used in production in two versions but with the same part number.
This is to me just one of the few exceptions that proof the rule.
There have been found a few of these metal wrapped sems with VW number over the years. If still related to a certain car, it was a 1950/51Karmann vert.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So the most sense making assumption is that a batch of those was delivered to Karmann by the semaphore supplier and was used up in the verts for a short period.
The wrapped style was produced for other brands like DKW by the sems maker. If they had to deliver a load for VW but ran short of the common lenses they might had produced a limited number by using the wrapped style but with the dimensions as the VW ones to meet the requested specs.
This batch went to Karmann and ended up in the verts for a while.

The same thing happened in 1954 with speedometers.
There is a unique style around only used in 10/1954.
Beetle colors and parts number as the ones before and after but with the bus style face.

I once had one of them and saw two or three others. All produced within the same two months. So not a homebrew. They where made and originally installed for unknown reasons.
Such things happened.
No need for weird owner reinstallation theories.
kevm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Vert semaphore question Reply with quote

Found this SHO semaphore at a general auto jumble in September, the bottom of the frame has been cut off but the arm with wrap around cover is in good shape..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Vert semaphore question Reply with quote

Any part number on it Kev?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Vert semaphore question Reply with quote

Not that I can see no
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Vert semaphore question Reply with quote

I don't think that one pictured above is for a VW. If it is the kind I am thinking of, I have a whole box of them at home. Measure the overall length of the arm and compare it too a split grooved sem.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: