Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why is carb float bowl empty after sitting?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Why is carb float bowl empty after sitting? Reply with quote

AndrewCologne wrote:
I waited 2 days, ....., it took the fuel only about 8 seconds when starting to reach the carb and make the engine firing up.

I don't think you've solved anything.
You still need to find out why the fuel in the carb is leaking out after only 2 days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wimkever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Why is carb float bowl empty after sitting? Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:

I don't think you've solved anything.
You still need to find out why the fuel in the carb is leaking out after only 2 days.

Here's my advice : read again.
AndrewCologne wrote:

"Now with this working setup I did an even tougher check and closed the fuel tab while the engine was idling till it stopped so all fuel devices, lines and pipes in the chassis and engine compartment where free from fuel.
I waited 2 days, opened the fuel tab and tried to start the engine.

wurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Why is carb float bowl empty after sitting? Reply with quote

Hi,

My carb is also leaking somewhere. It's losing around 2cm per day in the tank, and impossible to find where it is leaking.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Why is carb float bowl empty after sitting? Reply with quote

wurd wrote:
Hi,

My carb is also leaking somewhere. It's losing around 2cm per day in the tank, and impossible to find where it is leaking.

It's winter. What a great time to take the carburetor off fill the float bowl to the 19 mm below the top and set it on a paper towel to find where the leak is leaking.
wurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: Why is carb float bowl empty after sitting? Reply with quote

It's what I did.
But it's leaking soooooooo slowly thats the drips are dry before touching the paper Smile
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Why is carb float bowl empty after sitting? Reply with quote

wurd wrote:
It's what I did.
But it's leaking soooooooo slowly thats the drips are dry before touching the paper Smile

There are special dyes for gasoline, maybe that will work.
AndrewCologne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Why is carb float bowl empty after sitting? Reply with quote

When the float bowl is filled up just wrap a a piece colored paper towel or kleenex/handkerchief around the emulsion tube housing within the carb.

After a few minutes or an hour pull the kleenex gently out and you can see on the kerchief if its the seal of the emulsion tube which is leaking. If not then wrap a piece of kerchief around the drain on the carbs side and do the same check.

But honestly, ... a fuel loss of 2cm per day in the tank is huge and could be clearly seen at the specific part of the fuel system where the leak occurs.

Are you really shure that it's the carb which is leaking?
Such a loss in the tank could also result from a leaking fuel tab, fuel lines, filter connection etc. ... or a leaking tank itself.
wurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Why is carb float bowl empty after sitting? Reply with quote

Thanks I will try it.
It's the tank of the carb (float chamber), not the tank of the car. Sorry for my mad english Wink
AndrewCologne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Why is carb float bowl empty after sitting? Reply with quote

But even then, ... 2cm loss per day you would see.
wurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Why is carb float bowl empty after sitting? Reply with quote

How do you remove the emulsion tube from the 28 PCI ?
wurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Why is carb float bowl empty after sitting? Reply with quote

I found the solution for my carb, and maybe it can help other people in the future.
It was the main jet carrier which was not tighten enough...
paf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is carb float bowl empty after sitting? Reply with quote

Hello,

I jump into this post because I have the same problem. On the advise of Wurd I tightened the main carrier jet slightly few month ago, but I still experienced difficult start problems. I decided to remove the carb and see what amount of gasoline left inside : it was totally dry. I inspected the emulsion tube housing looking for cracks : nothing, but I admit that I am not able to see the junction between the base ot the emulsion tube housing ant the carb, only the junction of the jet to the emulsion tube housing. I decided to remove the main jet carrier, and at the first glance I did not see anything special, but I should. I tightened again the main jet carrier, but I felt something strange, and dismantled it again, and here what I saw :

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It seems that it has been overtightened at one moment, maybe by me or someone else, but it has been rebuilt by a pro 2 years ago, and I always had (even before the rebuilt) start problem when the car has stopped for a while. When I dismantled it the first time I should have realized that something was wrong because the holes where already twisted, meaning that the over tightening has already damaged the main jet carrier. It may be the reason why the carb emptied within few days, because it was not compressing the washer enough due to the deformation. I hope so...

I bought main carrier today, and I will receive them within few days. I do not want to do it again, and was looking for tightening torque for it, without success. Can anyone tel me l where I can find the information ?

Thanks.
AndrewCologne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Why is carb float bowl empty after sitting? Reply with quote

The tightening should be just "normal" like 15 or 20 Nm which is enough.
If its really the the part of main jet which is leaking and loosening gasoline, then you should also focus on the seal ring and that it should not be cured that much over all the years.
paf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Why is carb float bowl empty after sitting? Reply with quote

Hello,

It was a fiber seal installed, is it the original type of seal or a copper one ? Thanks.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is carb float bowl empty after sitting? Reply with quote

paf wrote:
Hello,

I bought main carrier today, and I will receive them within few days. I do not want to do it again, and was looking for tightening torque for it, without success. Can anyone tel me l where I can find the information ?

Thanks.

Where does one find the main jet carrier? I need two.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndrewCologne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Why is carb float bowl empty after sitting? Reply with quote

Ordering at a store in the US would be surely easier in your case but nevertheless I can provide some German sources:

https://www.vergaserteile.de/epages/66244.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/66244/Products/isxhd01090

http://www.ruddies-berlin.de/SOLEXduesen.htm

http://www.riechertmotorentechnik.de/Vergaser/Duesen/duesen.html
paf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Why is carb float bowl empty after sitting? Reply with quote

Hello,

I found mine here : https://www.ebay.fr/itm/SOLEX-MAIN-JET-CARRIER/262...1438.l2649
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is carb float bowl empty after sitting? Reply with quote

.. had the same problem and re built another carb and installed it... problem solved... can sit a week and starts right up... rarely let it sit over a week.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: