Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Insurance / Hagerty warning
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shano63 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Hagerty for both the westy and the beetle. They didn't give me a hard time with the camper. They didn't ask for a pic of it in a garage either. $242 a year for both with $10k for the bug and $15k for the westy. Much better than $1050 for both with Nationwide and no agreed value.
78 F250 4x4 4spd

Chris

Take it as it comes-- Morrison
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sage wrote:
Want a mixed message? They won't insure campers, yet they ran this ad...

Link

You don't need to hate on Hagerty just because McKeel won't invite you over for dinner. Wink
kingd33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sage wrote:
Want a mixed message? They won't insure campers, yet they ran this ad...

Link

The agent did tell me that they would insure my westy if I did not use it for camping( and that it had no stove).
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
( and that it had no stove).

Someone needs to tell them buses burn due to bad fuel lines not bad cooking.
The Sage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
You don't need to hate on Hagerty just because McKeel won't invite you over for dinner. Wink

He's spending more time in L.A. with his new wife. I like his sisters, him not so much.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this post back to life.

Hagerty responded in writing to me TODAY that I could take my '71 VW to dinner, to my high school reunion, out for ice cream, even could drive it to work occasionally.

Condon & Skelly -who I'm currently with - says "Einfach Verboten" !!! I spoke with their rep today, with the same queries posed to Hagerty.

So looks like I'll be switching, don't want to face a potential fight with Condon & Skelly. For example, in October, I drove the VW to a local VW show. But I didn't "show" my VW, so was that "an allowed usage" under Condon-Skelly? I'm not so sure.

And is taking the car to the gas station a "pleasure drive"? What about a test drive when you're not sure a repair has been done successfully - is that a "pleasure drive" ???
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
billfred1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good information. I didn't read everything. I was planning on switching over my 66 to Hagerty. They could give me a $6k agreed value for $150/year including the roadside assistance. My current company would only insure for $3k.

My local insurance agent says I just need to provide pics of the car.

I do occassionally drive this to work or pick up the kids from school. I wonder if I should e-mail and get confirmation also?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Hagerty policy went into effect today.

When I drove the VW last Sunday (a pleasure drive, I swear !!!), I thought about how Condon-Skelly or any other insurer would feel if I had a claim in the last week the policy was in effect. But I'd bet that they've seen that before, too.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
billfred1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the e-mail I just got from them....

Our policy is a flexible, limited use policy. We do not, however, limit you to just show and club use. Occasional pleasure driving fits our underwriting guidelines, but our policy is not intended for vehicles regularly driven to work or school or for running errands.
We look for usage that is consistent with owning a valuable automobile and the availability of insured regular use vehicles for daily transportation. While the average mileage generally put on a collector vehicle is approximately 2,000-3,000 miles annually, our policy language does not state a specific mileage limitation.

Also, does anyone know if most insurance companies cover your car when it is being towed (say like with a towbar)?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billfred1 wrote:
Here's the e-mail I just got from them....

Our policy is a flexible, limited use policy. We do not, however, limit you to just show and club use. Occasional pleasure driving fits our underwriting guidelines, but our policy is not intended for vehicles regularly driven to work or school or for running errands.
We look for usage that is consistent with owning a valuable automobile and the availability of insured regular use vehicles for daily transportation. While the average mileage generally put on a collector vehicle is approximately 2,000-3,000 miles annually, our policy language does not state a specific mileage limitation.

Also, does anyone know if most insurance companies cover your car when it is being towed (say like with a towbar)?

hagerty will cover your classic car, trailer, and tow vehicle while you are towing the classic car. I don't know about a tow bar, you should probably ask (via email so you have it in writing)
billfred1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks.

What are the opinions on Grundy vs Hagerty? The price is about the same.

Will they also allow me to drive it to work and run errands?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billfred1 wrote:
What are the opinions on Grundy vs Hagerty? The price is about the same.

Will they also allow me to drive it to work and run errands?

I had Condon-Skelly for a few years, until yesterday. Now I'm with Hagerty.

I had asked Condon-Skelly if just driving it to go out to dinner was OK, and they told me "no", and definitely not to work or for errands. I asked the Condon-Skelly rep if any of the competing companies had more flexible policies for use of the vehicle, and she directed me to Hagerty.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got off the phone w/a Insurance Co. that offers Hagerty here in Vt., they said Hagerty only allows for 3,500 miles/year for my Singlecab, which won't cut it, I did 8,300 in the Single last year, they are looking at a "Inland Marine" policy for me........

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom

check out grundy. you honestly do so much travel to shows etc, you won't have a problem.

I was told that I can use my stuff how I please, just not as a daily and they had no problem with cross country trips etc as long as it was car show related

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Chubb. They invented agreed value coverage, have no mileage restrictions and have the best claims reputation in the business. They're more after the high dollar cars, but I had no problem getting all of mine insured with them.
http://www.chubbcollectorcar.com/agreed-value-coverage
1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this entire post. Still having one hell of a time finding affordable DD insurance in California for my 63 KG. This Chubb company sounds hopeful. I will post my results on Tuesday. There has to be be some independent common sense underwriters out there!
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

average mileage generally put on a collector vehicle is approximately 2,000-3,000 miles annually

I drove my 73 standard 3100 miles round trip to a show near Kansas City Mo. Took the long distance award. I was covered by Haggerty. Heck just going to the Phoenix area shows/swaps for me is about 500 miles round trip.
Jerome Bus Jamboree roundtrip is an easy 400 miles. it adds up fast.
When I signed on with Haggerty I told them about this and they said not an issue.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the guys in our local VW community recently contacted Hagerty about insurance for his restored '77 Westfalia. This is a garage kept vechicle with collector plates. They asked him if he might go camping in it and he said possibly. They immediately turned him down stating they don't cover camping at all. Then he asked what if he didn't go camping in it? Too bad, because he already expressed the possibility of camping, they refused to insure him. This is disturbing because MY agreed value insurance is with Hagerty, and they asked me NO questions about this. And it is very obvious from the pictures I sent them that this is a camper van... Realistically not insuring a camper van for camping purposes is completely ridiculous. As a "speciality" insurance provider, they really should know better. And now I am worried about going to multi day shows, even though we stayed with friends and did not sleep in the bus. I guess parked in the friend's driveway would have been a breach of the rules... None of this was mentioned when I signed up for this insurance by the way...
1964 Ghia, ongoing project 2007-
1962 Beetle Beryl,original paint survivor 2012-
1970 Savannah Beige Beetle 2012-
1992 16v GTI, 100% stock 2006-
1991 "Terseo", wife's old daily 1995-
1969 Chevrolet CST/10 (family owned since new)
1965 Gold Corvair Monza 2021-
1966 and 1965 Monza 2022-
errrrc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volktales wrote:
One of the guys in our local VW community recently contacted Hagerty about insurance for his restored '77 Westfalia. This is a garage kept vechicle with collector plates. They asked him if he might go camping in it and he said possibly. They immediately turned him down stating they don't cover camping at all. Then he asked what if he didn't go camping in it? Too bad, because he already expressed the possibility of camping, they refused to insure him. This is disturbing because MY agreed value insurance is with Hagerty, and they asked me NO questions about this. And it is very obvious from the pictures I sent them that this is a camper van... Realistically not insuring a camper van for camping purposes is completely ridiculous. As a "speciality" insurance provider, they really should know better. And now I am worried about going to multi day shows, even though we stayed with friends and did not sleep in the bus. I guess parked in the friend's driveway would have been a breach of the rules... None of this was mentioned when I signed up for this insurance by the way...

Are you still with haggerty? I'm in the same boat.. 85 westy clearly a camper they said nothing on the phone call about camping so neither did i. I assume that if I did ever have to file a claim at a campground I could have plausible deniability because I'm sure every phone call is recorded. I've heard great things about state farm but the unfortunately dnt offer it in my state. One guy had progressive bt he had to just about sue them to get them to pay replacement value of 20 grand. They wanted to total it for 4...
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance / Hagerty warning Reply with quote

I've had Hagerty in the past and just used them again a couple months ago while I've never had a claim they seem to pay out when/if needed... they allow as much or more frequent driving than others and seem more lenient when it comes to a claim.. As long as you have another vehicle that is insured for DD...

They allow you to use your car as its intended just as long as it's not a DD,you can drive it to work 3 X a week, errands, car shows etc.. I haven't read anywhere in my policy yet where there is mileage stipulated for a "car show", so as far as cross country travel I guess if there is a car show along the way you are good to go Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: