Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

12V generator with single port cylinder tin problem
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HenrikL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: 12V generator with single port cylinder tin problem Reply with quote

I have read lots of posts on 12V conversions, but this was an issue I 've not seen before. The generator interferes with the cylinder tin and does not seat in the fan housing.

What is the best solution for this? Grind off some material from the generator?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 12V generator with single port cylinder tin problem Reply with quote

Are you using a 12 volt fan shroud? I have the original early single port tin (no fresh air hose hole) and didn't have any issues.

I had a 12 volt generator on a single port 1500 S engine and it fit fine. I've since swapped to an alternator so I can't be of any use with photos.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HenrikL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 12V generator with single port cylinder tin problem Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
Are you using a 12 volt fan shroud? I have the original early single port tin (no fresh air hose hole) and didn't have any issues.

I had a 12 volt generator on a single port 1500 S engine and it fit fine. I've since swapped to an alternator so I can't be of any use with photos.

Yes, the fan shroud is changed to a 12V shroud.

This is the original tin on my October 1963 1500S engine.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: 12V generator with single port cylinder tin problem Reply with quote

Did you align everything in the front? Make sure the pulley and belt are correct, then check again. It looks like the generator is not in quite the right position.

Mine dropped right into place after the fan shroud and pulley cover were swapped to th 12 volt version so it's a bit odd that yours doesn't fit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutenfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 12V generator with single port cylinder tin problem Reply with quote

HenrikL wrote:
What is the best solution for this? Grind off some material from the generator?

If any modifications are required...I would personally bang the 3/4 tin to fit before any grinding away of the gen housing/caps.
my Shapeways store
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 12V generator with single port cylinder tin problem Reply with quote

I found a couple of photos of my 12 volt generator on early single port tin...

Zero modifications to the tin.
Peters Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V generator with single port cylinder tin problem Reply with quote

not much room but it does fit. sorry about crap pics.
the panelvan was 6v and is now 12v same single port tinware
but now has 12v fan housing
HenrikL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: 12V generator with single port cylinder tin problem Reply with quote

Thanks for the pictures. I will have a good look at my engine next time I'm in the garage.
glutenfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: 12V generator with single port cylinder tin problem Reply with quote

HenrikL wrote:

After closer inspection of this picture it appears that the 3/4 tin is not fully seated...see the shadow and gap near where the tin meets the fan housing...looks a very close distance to that of the space between the gen and gen cradle.
I would give that tin a good wiggle/nudge and check the hardware securing the tin/s
my Shapeways store
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V generator with single port cylinder tin problem Reply with quote

I have to agree with everyone above, in that something is off with your tin. Here's a pic of my 64 T-34 engine with a 12 volt conversion (gen and big alloy shround). If you look closely, I'm even using the early style belt cover (bolt on).

64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
HenrikL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: 12V generator with single port cylinder tin problem Reply with quote

Winter is finally over here in Sweden and time to start working on the Type 3 again.

Those of you who have done this conversion, do you use the 6V (96 mm) or the 12V (100 mm) generator pulley?
HenrikL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: 12V generator with single port cylinder tin problem Reply with quote

Back to work on this task. It seems as if I have to move my 12V generator 15 mm forward before the fan belt lines up. No way that is possible with my current cylinder tin.

I compared with a 1963 tin in the pichure below. Note that the 1963 tin has a much larger room for the generator.

I don't want to butcher my original tin. I think the way forward is to fins another tin and check if that one works better. If not it is time for some welding.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 12V generator with single port cylinder tin problem Reply with quote

HenrikL wrote:
Winter is finally over here in Sweden and time to start working on the Type 3 again.

Those of you who have done this conversion, do you use the 6V (96 mm) or the 12V (100 mm) generator pulley?

I would use the 6v pulley for better low-rpm charging
HenrikL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: 12V generator with single port cylinder tin problem Reply with quote

There seems to be different versions of the single port cylinder tin. Compare the tin in the picture below (taken from classifieds) with my 1964 tin a few posts up. The room for generator is much larger than my tin.

I wonder if the factory changed the cylinder tin when the new exhaust was introduced in 1964?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: