Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

spring that holds star nuts from turning
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: spring that holds star nuts from turning Reply with quote

Well mine are broken off or bent way off.

I see the part on cip1 and thing shop and cip1 says its a welded on piece. What about the housing it attaches to, is that a bolt on piece or part of the backing plate?

A little bit of rust keeps the star nuts secure now.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the star adjuster housing is part of the backing plate, There is an old school repair for the spring replacement. These springs were clamped / pressed in place. To repair/replace them, drill small hole in side of housing/tap/use screw to hold spring into place.
The Brake Leaf Spring was originally a Bus part...
Part #211609185A
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks kubelmann for the answer

Any tips on getting the old spring metal out? I'm going to try prying with a flat screwdriver and/or needle nose vice clamps.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i grab it with channel locks when it is still whole asn roll it out using the jaw face as a cam
brooklyn thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: spring that holds star nuts from turning Reply with quote

I've been wrestling with my front brakes all week. Frozen star adjusters and a wheel cylinder that was corroded to the backing plate. My question is, do I need these little springs or can I live without them? The rust held the stars stationary until now. I have new ones from TTS and I've managed to remove the remnants of the old ones, but as they're pressed in there doesn't seem to be any way to secure the new ones. Kmans solution makes sense but there isn't enough metal to drill from the side and still secure the spring.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: spring that holds star nuts from turning Reply with quote

I have never had trouble doing without them, I don't think it's a big deal. Give it a try, you can always fix them later.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: spring that holds star nuts from turning Reply with quote

KAmes wrote:
I have never had trouble doing without them, I don't think it's a big deal. Give it a try, you can always fix them later.

I think it depends how much you drive and yes, if your stars turn freely.
Hint: They should. Smile

I had one broken up front on my '63 Bus and that side would go out of adjustment and my brakes would start pulling.
I was driving the Bus almost every day though.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: spring that holds star nuts from turning Reply with quote

One trick you can use to keep the stars from sticking is to drill a couple of small holes in the body of the adjustment block so that you can spray or pump a tiny amount of grease into each bore of the block from time to time whenever you have access.

This of course will exasperate the problem with the stars backing off.

I have wondered about making a special adjusting hole plug that would lock the star wheel in place once installed, but have never actually made anything.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: spring that holds star nuts from turning Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
KAmes wrote:

I think it depends how much you drive and yes, if your stars turn freely.
Hint: They should. Smile

I had one broken up front on my '63 Bus and that side would go out of adjustment and my brakes would start pulling.
I was driving the Bus almost every day though.

It's true I don't drive it every day.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: