Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

356 valve covers
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
badsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: 356 valve covers Reply with quote

i'm getting ready to assemble my 58 356 engine, its a 1600 N with big bore and r200 cam. anyway I want to plug the vents on the valve covers. I just can't fathom going around a long corner at speed and having oil pour out the vents all over the heater boxes and exhaust. so if I plug the vents is there anything else I need to do THANKS
Jay D.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 valve covers Reply with quote

I don't think plugging the vents is a good idea. Porsche wouldn't have went to the trouble and expense of adding them unless they were needed. The valve covers shouldn't be filling up with oil to the point of spilling out.
Three56SC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 valve covers Reply with quote

You could get some late C or 912 covers - they did not have vents. Then you wouldn't bugger your original covers.
I don't think you would have any trouble with a rebuilt motor and normal blow-by considering the size of the road draft tube on that motor (make sure it is clean and unobstructed)
AXAM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: 356 valve covers Reply with quote

Do not plug them. They are there for a reason. The motor needs to vent. If you don't vent the motor enough it will cause oil leaks elsewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 356 valve covers Reply with quote

Make sure the screens are in the vents and are clean. They work as baffles.
badsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: 356 valve covers Reply with quote

Three56SC wrote:
You could get some late C or 912 covers - they did not have vents. Then you wouldn't bugger your original covers.
I don't think you would have any trouble with a rebuilt motor and normal blow-by considering the size of the road draft tube on that motor (make sure it is clean and unobstructed)

This is what i'm wondering as some 356s didn't have the vent. and it is a problem when briskly rounding a sharp or long corner.
Jay D.
ensys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 valve covers Reply with quote

I would note that the ventless valve covers were only used on later heads that had, at their top flange, ports that were part of a positive crankcase ventilation system.

The passive "road draft" case vent did/does not effectively vent the heads above the valves.

Perhaps you're sloshing out the cover vents because there is too much oil in the sump or maybe VW pushrod tubes....

S.J.Szabo
badsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: 356 valve covers Reply with quote

i'm thinking i'll just run them stock as they are and see if I have any problems. if then i'll do something, with my type of driving they my be just fine.
thanks everyone
Jay D.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: