Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empi Sportster Roll Call
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EarlT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

My roll bar is 51" tall. I can cut that to 40"

Ordered plans.

Thanks, Earl
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Holidays are fast approaching, lets see some new pics of Empi Sportsters! Very Happy
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is my new to me Sportster, I got off CL from North Carolina. An older gentleman had it and didn't know what it was. Ive been working bugs out of it. I also have a different set of seats for it the ones in are just to low. The engine is a 1500 with dual port heads, runs fair has some oil leaks of course. I will be changing the wheels also the ones on the back are 50's and on adapters and spacers . They used bolts for studs. I sold the orange one yesterday to a young man that lives in North Ga near Tenn.
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

VPONDER,

That looks cool! Looks like all the metal is there. Are you going to put a rag top?

Tony
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Nice looking buggy , I hope one of mine comes out this nice
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Yea Yankee I will be putting one on, when i get the money LOL, its going to be white. When I get the seats re covered I want black with white piping. I spent Sunday on the ground cleaning the front end grease and old paint. This was white before black and so was the front beam. My neighbor and I (mainly neighbor ) are going to build a nice wood floor for the back part similar to a truck wood bed but it will be on hinges so it will flip up to work on it. Now just to get the Allison sold .
EarlT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Need advice. 40hp that I have is rough. Could use all the old parts and get it running ok, not great. Won't be using much, occasional trips to the park and beach. Or should I rebuild with new parts, or upgrade to 13, 15, or 1600 dual port? Opinions?

Thanks, EarlT
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Id keep the 40 , the one I just sold had a 40 and was going to keep it on there if I had kept the buggy, I think back when these Sportsters came out the 40 might have been the only thing to run on them beside the Corvair engine. The one I have now has a 1500 im going to keep it on there mainly for the cost, it runs ok, somebody put dual port heads on it. Just going to do some spuceing up it.
ottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

EarlT wrote:
Need advice. 40hp that I have is rough. Could use all the old parts and get it running ok, not great. Won't be using much, occasional trips to the park and beach. Or should I rebuild with new parts, or upgrade to 13, 15, or 1600 dual port? Opinions?

Thanks, EarlT

Personally id swap that 40hp out for a bigger motor.A 1500 or 1600 single port would be great.A single port has more torque so it would be better for trails.
Skramco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Her's mine in Minnesota
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Hello,

Skramco,
That is a cool ride, did you have to repaint it? Love the horn!

Ottvw,
How are your projects coming?

EarlT,

You got any new pics?

Tony
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

This one has an EMPI factory serial number, 23 according to the seller but the windshield frame hinges and the way the seats are enclosed look like the later style. Maybe the seller doesn't know how to read the serial number. I believe they stamped the year first, then its production number that year. Does anybody have more factory serial number tag pictures than these two?

Its in Modesto https://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/5905715074.html I really like the visor over the windshield

yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Hello BL3Manx,

That is a good looking Sportster, good candidate to restore.

Tony
EarlT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Not much new. Too much rain here. Got the 40hp cleaned up. Found 2 jugs with bad rust pits. Looking at new 77 or 83mm. Why do the 40hp cost twice as much as 1600? A conspiracy. Anyone have a good set of cylinders for sale?
Will be replacing bearings too. Will be ready to fire up in the spring.
EarlT
EarlT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

2017 update:
Got all the parts I need, a good deal too! Got new gaskets and bearings, so it will start to come together, as soon as I get Christmas put away. The 40 hp will live again. A big bonus, my wife and son went together on a pair of lowback empi seats for my gift this year! Coming together, photos soon.
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Sounds like you are well on your way EarlT, cant wait to see pics, been trying to get my spare tire mounted on the hood, got bracket made going to get it powder coated before I bolt it on. Got a wheel all prepped bead blasted and painted (rattle can ) flat black and got two early hub caps coming from a Ebay seller.
EarlT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Can you send me photos of the spare mount? I need to make one of those.
Thanks, EarlT
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

This picture was in the gallery

vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Mine was made in one continuous piece of metal, the plans really didnt show how the lower leg was put on ect. The one I sold was like the blue one on the previous thread. Dont know if mine is wrong or right but Im happy with it and the price 40.00 . The plans DO SHOW it bolted on the row of bolts that bolt the hood down so thats where Im putting mine, already got the other two lower ones drilled. Off to powder coating today
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

EarlT,

If I can suggest to modify the spare tire mount that will accept vw lug nuts.

Most Empi Sportsters have studs and I often wondered why not have vw lug nuts instead.

Just a thought.

Tony
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 33

Jump to: