Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Garage Squad
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

Busdaddy: Agreed. Plenty of knuckleheads working on cars. But what is at work here is a heavy layer of fiction on the "reality" being portrayed. There is more manufacturing going into the drama than into the build on these shows.

I'm not judging. Its just the sort of thing they do to make it interesting to a larger audience than those of us out there who may know better. Easy to figure out why if the question is asked; "Which group is larger, the folks who know how to work on cars or the folks with cable TV and an itchy remote finger?

I don't have cable but I'll still watch those shows when I get access because I want to see some of the cars. It can even be entertaining to pick out the intentional mistakes made in the spirit of plot development.

Sometimes its better if I didn't though....I watched the Gas Monkey guys more or less destroy a low miles unmolested 69 Mark III Continental to make it "saleable"...it was sacrilege.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

I haven't seen the show but did Google the cast. The gal is named Heather Storm, not bad
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

What does Mrs. Cusser think of you ogling these young women? Hmmmm.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

wythac wrote:
I've never been a professional mechanic but have always been a gearhead who maintains his own cars, of which I have owned just about every kind in the last 40 years, so my experience, while perhaps not very deep, is pretty broad.

With that in mind, when I watch any of these car repair/refurb/remodel shows, I will see gaps in the story telling, such as a recent show I watched where several experienced mechanics clustered around the front of a car, mystified as to why the crate motor ran like crap. After spending 10 mins of air time trying other stuff, they did a compression check that indicated a required tear down. Bent valve.

Now anybody taking a paycheck for working on a car wouldn't spend half a day looking for the source of a problem like that without doing a compression check first...that is, unless the paycheck was coming from the television production company rather than the shop they were working for.

My point is that I'm not always sure the folks producing these programs really know what they are being told by the guys who are (or who play at being) mechanics, so it isn't too likely they would pick out a basic error like that.

Oh, we aren't likely the target audience anyway.

Years ago before computers OBD,scan tools etc mechanics those with formal training were taught fault isolation/ troubleshooting. It's a reasoned logical approach which pinpoints faults in minimum time. Sadly you see it here all to often someone posts, "my car won't start" or it runs bad. Rather than following the fault isolation program they get answers from other well meaning untrained folks to check unrelated items. Usually they waste time and money creating more problems and inducing multiple faults, using the shot gun method of trying or replacing most everything. Can get expensive yes?

Back in the day when we got a car in for tune up first thing we did was compression check. If it passed that it got degreased if needed then tuned. Why tune an engine with a weak cylinder, customer got a call either way, but we didn't waste time guessing why it didn't run right. A return to the basics is sorely lacking today.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Lots of pictures posted in my garage, where 99% of the time I'm the only one in there. So she knows I just want to get the gals dirty.

Here's from 2011, can see some photos on the wall behind workbench. There are some R-rated photos there in addition these days, and the door opposite the workbench has photos more R-rated and not able to be posted here.

I add new photos gradually, Mrs. Cusser doesn't question because I'd say the picture has been there for years, and she'd worry about her memory !

Guy on honeymoon riding horses with new wife, horse bucks him off. He shakes his finger in horse's face, says "that's one !!!".

An hour later, horse bucks him off again, he does the same, says "that's two !!!"

30 minutes later, horse bucks him off a third time, he takes out his gun and shoots the horse dead. Shocked new wife says "why'd you shoot that poor horse ?", and he shakes his finger in wife's face and says "that's one !!!"

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Lots of pictures posted in my garage, where 99% of the time I'm the only one in there. So she knows I just want to get the gals dirty.

Here's from 2011, can see some photos on the wall behind workbench. There are some R-rated photos there in addition these days, and the door opposite the workbench has photos more R-rated and not able to be posted here.

I add new photos gradually, Mrs. Cusser doesn't question because I'd say the picture has been there for years, and she'd worry about her memory !

Guy on honeymoon riding horses with new wife, horse bucks him off. He shakes his finger in horse's face, says "that's one !!!".

An hour later, horse bucks him off again, he does the same, says "that's two !!!"

30 minutes later, horse bucks him off a third time, he takes out his gun and shoots the horse dead. Shocked new wife says "why'd you shoot that poor horse ?", and he shakes his finger in wife's face and says "that's one !!!"

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Applause
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
wythac wrote:
I've never been a professional mechanic but have always been a gearhead who maintains his own cars, of which I have owned just about every kind in the last 40 years, so my experience, while perhaps not very deep, is pretty broad.

With that in mind, when I watch any of these car repair/refurb/remodel shows, I will see gaps in the story telling, such as a recent show I watched where several experienced mechanics clustered around the front of a car, mystified as to why the crate motor ran like crap. After spending 10 mins of air time trying other stuff, they did a compression check that indicated a required tear down. Bent valve.

Now anybody taking a paycheck for working on a car wouldn't spend half a day looking for the source of a problem like that without doing a compression check first...that is, unless the paycheck was coming from the television production company rather than the shop they were working for.

My point is that I'm not always sure the folks producing these programs really know what they are being told by the guys who are (or who play at being) mechanics, so it isn't too likely they would pick out a basic error like that.

Oh, we aren't likely the target audience anyway.

Years ago before computers OBD,scan tools etc mechanics those with formal training were taught fault isolation/ troubleshooting. It's a reasoned logical approach which pinpoints faults in minimum time. Sadly you see it here all to often someone posts, "my car won't start" or it runs bad. Rather than following the fault isolation program they get answers from other well meaning untrained folks to check unrelated items. Usually they waste time and money creating more problems and inducing multiple faults, using the shot gun method of trying or replacing most everything. Can get expensive yes?

Back in the day when we got a car in for tune up first thing we did was compression check. If it passed that it got degreased if needed then tuned. Why tune an engine with a weak cylinder, customer got a call either way, but we didn't waste time guessing why it didn't run right. A return to the basics is sorely lacking today.

I find this to be even worse on FaceBook. At least there are people here who actually know what they're talking about.
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Well, today 30 years married for us !!!

Mrs. Cusser didn't want photos of her wedding night posted, so here's one of the wedding day photos:

We'll go out for a nice dinner (just across the lake from the location where above photo was taken); we don't do anniversary presents. After that we'll need to be protected, because we learned that this can result:

Then their teenage years transformed me to this:

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

Congrats!

And yes, by all means use protection; nobody wants rampant pie proliferation.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: